Petition to revoke Article 50 ...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Varky

Re: Petition to revoke Article 50 ...

Post by Varky »

On the matter of proportional representation, I am at the present staying in a country that uses this system and the problem is that, if voters have a problem, they have no personal representative in parliament to go to to make a complain. This results in the government being able to govern unilaterally without criticism.
Varky

Post by Varky »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:02 pm
zorbathejock wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:34 am Over18 million were denied a vote. U.K. citizens living in an EU country for more than 15 years even though the result would affect them. EU citizens in the U.K. and 16 year olds who are now to be denied the freedom of movement their parents had
Of those 18 million, how many didn't realise that they would lose their voting rights after 15 years of residing in the EU country they chose to move to? Not many I suspect!
Shane
Slight correction in that it was people lost their voting rights in this particular vote if they had been out of the UK for 15 years, nothing to do with whether they lived in the EU or not.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Ok! But my point remains, the vast majority of UK citizens that chose to live abroad did so knowing they would lose their voting rights at some point in the future …………………… it wasn't an issue then so why should it be one now?

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

An online petition calling on the government to revoke Article 50 and cancel Brexit has become the most popular petition ever submitted to the Parliament website.
The petition, started in late February, reached over 4.151 million signatures on Saturday and has the highest rate of sign-ups on record, according to the official Petitions Committee.

The second most popular is a 2016 petition calling for a second EU referendum if the Remain or Leave vote was less than 60 per cent, which gathered just over 4.15 million signatures.

In third place is a petition to prevent Donald Trump from making a state visit to the UK, with nearly 1.9 million signatures.

By contrast, the most popular pro-Brexit petition on the Parliament website which calls on the government to "leave the EU without a deal in March 2019" had received almost 460,000 signatures by Saturday morning.

- Interesting that the Leave-Remain group wanted a second referendum, if it was less than 60 percent, yet it never happened!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Varky wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 1:17 pm On the matter of proportional representation, I am at the present staying in a country that uses this system and the problem is that, if voters have a problem, they have no personal representative in parliament to go to to make a complain. This results in the government being able to govern unilaterally without criticism.
In Scotland, you have your district winning politician, plus politicians to balance the electoral voting overall... Many countries do successfully...
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:22 am Oh come on Jim it may be 36% of the population but it was over 50% of those that were bothered enough to vote...but I do have some sympathy with the rest of what you say.
Hudswell
I criticised the system that allows 36% of eligible voters to be the majority, not the specific result.

Jim
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jim B wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:03 am Alan

You could say that about items in manifestos that are never implemented; as an example in their manifesto the Tories had no time limit on votes for people overseas which was never introduced.
The whole system is rotten, democracy in name only. Whips used by all parties to threaten and cajole members to vote for the good of the party and not the country. What's democratic of 36% of the population dictating to the other 64% or a government with 42% of the vote running the country? Democracy is not very democratic, especially in the UK.

Jim
To a point I agree Jim. With Brexit it needs to be implemented as it was an in/out vote. How it is done is another matter entirely as we all see!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:47 pm
Jim B wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 2:25 pm
Hudswell wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 11:22 am Oh come on Jim it may be 36% of the population but it was over 50% of those that were bothered enough to vote...but I do have some sympathy with the rest of what you say.
Hudswell
I criticised the system that allows 36% of eligible voters to be the majority, not the specific result.

Jim
You can’t force people to get off their bums and vote....but over 50% of those that voted voted to leave...that’s how the system works...but like a GE..if you felt that strongly about it make the effort...or don’t complain if it doesn’t go your way.
But that doesn't make it a good system; in fact it's a terrible system. My Australian colleagues have to register at the polling station by law and according to them if they don't register they face a substantial fine if they don't have a good enough reason for not going to the polling station. They don't have to actually vote, just register.
Jim
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Nobody said our system was good but if you are so unhappy with it then maybe you should start a petition to try and change it! ;)

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:17 pm Nobody said our system was good but if you are so unhappy with it then maybe you should start a petition to try and change it! ;)

Shane
There already is one. ;-)

Jim
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

The English Cypriot woman who launched a petition to revoke article 50 has said she has received death threats after her launching her Brexit challenge.

https://cyprus-mail.com/2019/03/24/cypr ... 5vmpgCXc3w
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Above 5,100,000 now!
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lofos-5 wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:00 pm Above 5,100,000 now!
Only another 12 million to go
zorbathejock

Post by zorbathejock »

Not everyone has a computer or email address
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Over 5.4m signatures now...
I like to watch the numbers roll round on this link. It's constantly updating:
https://splasho.com/petitions/index.php?petition=241584
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

This popped up on my facebook today,

The Nation demands a peoples vote on the 1066 Battle of Hastings... people have started voting on it. :lol:
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Personally, I would ask the lottery organisers to keep redrawing the numbers until yours come up! :lol:

Shane
zorbathejock

Post by zorbathejock »

WHL wrote: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:16 pm This popped up on my facebook today,

The Nation demands a peoples vote on the 1066 Battle of Hastings... people have started voting on it. :lol:
That will be just England then.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 12:47 pm The referendum is not legally binding,and is a snapshot of people's wishes 3 years ago.It seems to me to have strong similarities to Ireland's referenda of the Nice and Lisbon treaties ,both of which were only after a second referendum reversed the original people's will.The reasons cited for voters changing their minds.....lack of knowledge,lack of information and lack of understanding ....and this is without their being fed downright lies.
Had our vote been reversed with the same split I wonder what the brexiteers would be saying?(Farage."52/48 won't be the end of it")
Having spoken to a few leave voters my opinion is that they wouldn’t be acting like spoilt entitled brats crying if they had lost. Nobody has said the referendum is legally binding however it was the will of the majority who bothered to vote. As such it should be enacted. Qiuite frankly I’m sick and tired of hearing the same old about lies being told, it happened on both sides. I wish Remaon voters would stop insulting the intelligence of those who voted leave.
Last edited by Jimgym on Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Les Bean wrote: Tue Mar 26, 2019 3:26 pm Yes.It was also the will of the Irish people,twice,but once the picture became clearer,the will of the people changed
So basically just keep voting but not enacting the will of the people until the correct result is achieved?