Extra 12 months to sort residency

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
tonee

Extra 12 months to sort residency

Post by tonee »

Hi
Cyprus government has announced that it is bringing new laws in for UK expats that they can have an extra twelve months to sort their residency out post Brexit(Cyprus Mail)
trevnhil

Re: Extra 12 months to sort residency

Post by trevnhil »

Whenever Brexit is going to be.. it may well be postponed
Trev..
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 7:20 am I'm not a very political person BUT the day the referendum results came through I said Brexit would never happen...because no one knew what they were voting for exactly!
Err was it not an IN or OUT vote?
WHL

Post by WHL »

Flossie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:45 am OK Mr Pedantic - I said the YES vote to LEAVE wouldn't ever become reality, and now in retrospect it's coming true !!
Quote, .''because no one knew what they were voting for exactly!''
they were asked IN or OUT, whats so hard about that... What's Pedantic about that reply?
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

I seem to remember it was “advisory” ...
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

So... is this
- 12 months from 29 March if there is no deal?
- 12 months from whenever an extension finishes (if there is an extension)?
- 12 months from the end of any Transition period?

Given our plan is to move to Cyprus in 2020 when my wife and I retire from work (can't move before then) it would be good to know what period the 12 months covers. Maybe things will become clearer over the next couple of weeks.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

They certainly couldn't get any less clear.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:49 am
Flossie wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:45 am OK Mr Pedantic - I said the YES vote to LEAVE wouldn't ever become reality, and now in retrospect it's coming true !!
they were asked IN or OUT, whats so hard about that... What's Pedantic about that reply?
Give it a rest. It is boring when people pick other people's posts apart needlessly.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 am
Give it a rest. It is boring when people pick other people's posts apart needlessly.
Dominic I really im not picking on this post, the poster said people didnt know what they were voting for, and I disagreed, saying the vote was in or out, simple as it gets.
MacManiac

Post by MacManiac »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:12 am
MacManiac wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:50 am I seem to remember it was “advisory” ...
Indeed it was, although it would be somewhat churlish of Parliament not to enact the will of the people wouldn’t it.
Not in my opinion ... a mistake was made in holding a referendum. MPs are there to decide, with their undoubted “expertise”, to act in the best interests of the country. I suspect if another referendum was held (as it may be) the result would be an overwhelming victory for Remain. That is why the vast majority of MPs voted Remain in the referendum and, in a free vote, would vote Remain again.

As Winston Churchill stated “The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.”
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Holding that referendum was a big mistake. From conversations with many people I’ve met it seems that many of the voters had little idea what they were voting for... some voted to leave the EU simply because they had been led to believe that if we did we’d be able to control our borders! Fat hope of that since refugees don’t necessarily take a ferry to Dover! Some prefer to risk their lives crossing the British Channel by inflatible boat hoping to wash up on a beach somewhere...
I voted Remain and having see the chaos which surrounds the whole Brexit shambles I haven’t changed my mind.
It should have been left to the Govt and MP’s to decide whether or not to leave the EU.
Dee
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:52 am
Dominic wrote: Mon Mar 18, 2019 10:09 am

Dominic I really im not picking on this post, the poster said people didnt know what they were voting for, and I disagreed, saying the vote was in or out, simple as it gets.
It's the way you said it.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

As a matter of interest, are there any posters who think that the referendum was a mistake, that voted to leave ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.