Theresa May, time to step down?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Theresa May, time to step down?

Post by Dominic »

The main problem with Brexit is that nobody had much of a plan. Ditching May without having somebody in line to replace her is acting in the same fashion.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
outasite

Post by outasite »

Theresa May has the speech explaining why we are staying in as a member of the EU already written and in her safe. This will be read to the media either on March 30th or June 30th depending onthe EU bothering to extend Article 50. This, IMHO, has been her game plan from Day 1.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

outasite wrote: Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:59 am Theresa May has the speech explaining why we are staying in as a member of the EU already written and in her safe. This will be read to the media either on March 30th or June 30th depending onthe EU bothering to extend Article 50. This, IMHO, has been her game plan from Day 1.
And if that was the case the blame would lie firmly at the feet of the pro Brexit MPs who campaigned for it then bottled the opportunity of becoming PM and implementing their own dream.

*points finger firmly at Boris Johnson et al*
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I always had an idea that I would never see Brexit, Parliament won't agree Mrs. May's agreement proposals, and neither will they agree to a no deal Brexit, what the hell do they want ! To stay in is my guess :evil:

I think Mark Twain hit the nail on the head, if voting made a difference, they wouldn't let us do it, or words to that effect.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The Irish backstop was created by Theresa May and not the EU. We knew all along that it was impossible to have open borders and different trading agreements on each side. We proposed a digital solution but didnt offer any and cant for some years. Hence the backstop. Out backstop. Not the EUs.

As usual, you see only faults on one side. I know of no other country even contemplating leaving the EU. Not because of the farce this has become, but because most countries see the benefits outweighing the disadvantages.

Thankfully parliament decided last night that a no-deal brexit was against the interests of the country and most believe, the interests of the majority who they represent. What happens now is anybodies guess, but the possibility of another referendum with Remain and Theresa May’s deal, is being discussed by many. I would even be happy that it has to be 60% in favour of either side, or it defaults to a no-deal brexit. That way, you offer 3 choices without disadvantaging the brexiteers.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

I believe that the majority of MPs voted against a 'no deal Brexit' because they have got too much of a personal financial interest in too may businesses, self preservation comes to mind, and damn their constituents.

Hudswell, I really do hope that you're right, we shall see.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Can't read the FT as it wants me to subscribe....

This is from the Telegraph - not exactly impartial....

The Independent - has no other countries leaving - https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/p ... 36021.html

That's from David Davis - an ardent leaver

Everything else is from the Express and others, so not worth wiping my .......

Hudswell, it's stranger you accuse others of only seeing what they want to see.... yet you are so 100% Rule Britannia, you won't even accept other views!
tonee

Post by tonee »

The crux of the problem is out of the 650 Mps in Parliament....480 voted to remain in the initial referendum,so just 170 voted to leave and now all this is coming to home to us,regardless of what their constituents voted for.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

This percentages are 'protest' votes - just like Brexit was in the UK and Trump was in the USA.

Italians are hardly renowned for the status quo! :o

The French protest about everything, but when push comes to shove..... as David Davis admitted, none would leave
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Your graph is irrelevant Jimgward as it's just a snapshot in time, to be meaningful you need to add additional graphs from previous years then I think you would see a different pattern appearing that would not suit your political views!

Anyway, back on topic no she shouldn't step down but her days are numbered and when the time is right she will go ………… one way or another!

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It is the most meaningful towards Hudsell's argument - nothing else comes close to supporting it... I certainly aint going back pre-brexit for a comparison, that probably isnt there...
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Then as I said Jimgward your graph is irrelevant, it's a one off, you cannot draw any concrete conclusions from it without suitable comparisons! :roll:

Shane
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

To get back to the original question, NO! It is not time for her to step down. The time for her to step down was 18 months ago. That she is stubborn and pig-headed enough to stay shows her in the worst political light.
Varky

Post by Varky »

The second person in the world less likely to listen to others and take on board alternative proposals to their opinion is one Teresa May. The first being Hudswell.
Again I await with bated breath for posters alternatives to Mrs May.
Dominic Raab or anyone else!
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

None of you really and truthfully know the in depth qualities of the cabinet members. Only hearsay and the tabloids. Perhaps the question should be. Who in your opinion would perhaps make a good PM?
To put my two penneth in I rather like Nigel Farage-However he will never get that exalted position. However at least he has a backbone
Last edited by Lincoln on Sat Mar 16, 2019 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
All things are possible
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Agreed Lincoln. The most able polititian in this generation. Twenty five years of first hand experience in Europe, plus a successful career in the real world. He is passionate and articulate- and above all, has a sense of humour! I enjoy his show on LBC. But, as you rightly point out, his chance of ever getting to be PM is virtually nill, as the same anti-democratic forces which have so far all but wrecked the largest democratic exercise in our history, will ensure he is never allowed into the Westminster Club.
Jon.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 12:24 am Dominic Raab, come on...expand...his leadership qualities perhaps, his dedication, loyalty? Not obvious to the average joe, where exactly is he these days? Or are you just having a laugh?
Maybe he is keeping a low profile. Nothing you have said eliminates him from the competition, in fact your reply is devoid of detail. Whereas TM has shown her total incompetence for all to see, both in the Brexit negotiations as prime minister and in the Windrush scandal as Home secretary. I cannot for the life of me understand your blind support for that woman.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Mar 16, 2019 11:02 am she is operating within a chaotic and divided parliament
And just why is she operating within a chaotic and divided parliament? It is of her own making because a) she did nothing to advance Brexit for the first+ year of her premiership, hoping it may go away; b) when she realised what had been voted for, she aggressively promoted HER vision of Brexit, without listening to the people or her fellow-politicians or even her civil servant advisors; c) she totally lacked flexibility talking with anyone in Europe or the UK; d) she would not even listen to the arguments of the Opposition, let alone the people in her own Party whose backs she 'got up'; e) she is incapable of leading, being too single-mindedly dogmatic; f) she is a catastrophe, by far the worst prime minister since at least Chamberlain, if not MacDonald.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I care not who is PM now, I and a lot of other Brexit voters feel betrayed by our own M.P.s. I had very little trust in government before the referendum, now I have absolutely non, we mean nothing to those in power, who are doing what they want, not what we want. The whole sorry mess has been a waste of time and public money, it's nearly THREE years since we voted to leave, and we are no nearer now, than we were then :evil:

Jackie
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The thought is that May is 'courting' the DUP again, with promises of more money, for their support and that the ERG group will back her deal this week, rather than up to 2 years of extension. Mogg has realised Brexit is potentially further away if May cannot get a deal agreed. This deal will come with strings we will all pay for - some much more than others!