Poll - Should there be a vote on May’s final deal?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.

Should there be a vote on May’s final deal?

No new vote - parliament decides
14%
No deal - hard brexit
29%
People’s vote on May’s deal or no deal
No votes
People’s vote on May’s deal or Remain
57%

Total votes: 28

Jimgward

Poll - Should there be a vote on May’s final deal?

Post by Jimgward »

A fast petition today is heading for 1.5million votes on a vote on May’s deal
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Poll - Should there be a vote on May’s final deal?

Post by Dominic »

Voting on May's Deal or Remain is farcical.

The only way for another vote to be remotely fair would be single transferable vote, with three options:

1. Remain
2. May's Deal
3. No Deal

that way, the leavers' vote wouldn't be split, and we would find out what the leavers actually wanted. or we would remain.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

How are they going to let the population know all the intricacies of 'May's Deal' ??
Trev..
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Big Red Bus springs to mind! ;)

Shane
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

But it won't have time to drive around everywhere will it.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

trevnhil wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 6:47 pm How are they going to let the population know all the intricacies of 'May's Deal' ??
They can't, she still hasn't got one!
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Maybe in the absence of May getting a more favourable deal, the only other option would be to remain. Its not just an emotive issue, surely all factors need to be taken into the final decision. Will it be good for the country- financially, from a business and trade point of view, from a practical point of view, freedom of movement for goods and people, keeping both air and sea routes to and from the UK functioning normally. There are many, many things to be considered. I don’t think giving the final vote to the people is necessarily a good thing. No more than the original referendum vote was.
Dee
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 4:08 pm Remaining is simply not an option.
This is looking more and more likely as Theresa May is now showing herself as totally incapable of concluding a Brexit on the appointed date. The longer it goes on and on and on, ad nauseam, the more likely it will revert to pre-Brexit by hook or by crook.
WHL

Post by WHL »

This has got to go down, as the biggest balls up, in the History of Parliament, not one political party comes out of this mess, with any credit .
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

What's with all the commas? :lol:
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:46 pm The UK will leave the EU. I may be in the minority but I don’t think Mrs May is totally to blame here, Parliament as a whole has not covered themselves in glory..and the EU
, have taken full advantage of the situation, they are determined the UKmwill be severely disadvantaged in any deal to deter others, although there are some murmurings of the Ireland sacred cow not being so sacred.
What murmurings are these then?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

tonee

Post by tonee »

To be honest,I have got to the stage where I do not care wether we stay or go,I think everybody has had a gutful,shambles from all politicians,a disgrace.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:04 am
Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 9:24 am
Hudswell wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 5:46 pm The UK will leave the EU. I may be in the minority but I don’t think Mrs May is totally to blame here, Parliament as a whole has not covered themselves in glory..and the EU
, have taken full advantage of the situation, they are determined the UKmwill be severely disadvantaged in any deal to deter others, although there are some murmurings of the Ireland sacred cow not being so sacred.
What murmurings are these then?
Google is your friend, I am not saying that they are “official” just stuff appearing here and there.
That's a copout answer.
outasite

Post by outasite »

The ballot paper I put my X on had two boxes....Leave or Stay. It did not have Leave but actually stay tied to the EU for evermore obeying all the diktats but having no say. It didn't say Leave and pay £39 billion before you go, but still obey our rules. And like the Majority, I voted Leave. Leave. Sadly we idiot Brits insist on voting in people who lie through their teeth to get elected then deny they ever said those lies or made those promises. The entire 650 plus the "lords" have all without exception followed their own personal agenda regardless of the vote. They have spat in the face of the Majority who voted Leave, they have spat in the face of Democracy in our country, and are without a shadow of doubt the most despicable bunch of nasties that we have ever stupidly voted into office. Theresa May has had the speech explaining why we are not Leaving written for many months now, and a pound to a penny Corbyn helped her draft it. We will not be leaving the EU on March 29th, IMHO we will not leave the EU at all. This will no doubt deliight the Happy In Cyprus types who in 2021 or 2022 will be fully fledged citizens of The United Federal States of Europa. Sad.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Someone is very bitter. The ballot paper, nor the politicians, explained to the populace, what Leave meant. it has become apparent to the majority, that leaving with no deal, would be a terrible decision for the UK and would cost jobs, lots of money to individuals, price rises and more. Politicians realise this, in the majority, and need to find a compromise deal. That is democracy. Democracy in some eyes, is one decision, never to be changed. That isn't democracy at all. Cameron made a huge mistake with the ballot terms. May has been appalling in assuming it would all be easy. Fox and others 'promised' easy deals with the rest of the world who would be 'queuing up to trade with us' - all lies and naivety.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Except they are all elected
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Oh dear, Jim, I missed those elections- never mind. BTW, I didn't get much of a say in young Selmayr's appointment, but he seems a nice young chap with the right background- you know......
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Britain has a vote proportionate to it’s population, on the people who are at the top....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

kingfisher wrote: Wed Feb 27, 2019 11:57 pm Oh dear, Jim, I missed those elections- never mind.
Perhaps you should read up on the subject then. You clearly don't know how the various levels of the EU government get elected.