Shamima Begum

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Shamima Begum

Post by Devil »

Should she be allowed back into the UK?

Two politicians have said yes, because her British nationality cannot be eliminated as long as she doesn't take another nationality.

In fact, this is not true.
In January 2014, the Immigration Bill 2013–14 was introduced to extend the powers of the Home Secretary to declare certain terrorism suspects stateless. The bill was initially blocked by the House of Lords in April 2014.[105] However, the Lords reconsidered their decision in May 2014, and the bill returned to the House of Commons before being set into UK law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statelessness

She, and her child-to-be, can be declared stateless, which means she could be refused entry to the UK (or any other country). I doubt whether the Home Secretary would have the guts to do so, especially for the unborn child's sake.

For the anecdote, I had a colleague in Switzerland who was stateless (apatride). He had a humanitarian kind of stateless passport, allowing him to travel (with difficulty, ofttimes) issued by the Swiss authorities. He was born in Krakow (Poland) of parents from an annexed part of Ukraine. Neither country would consider him as a citizen.
WHL

Re: Shamima Begum

Post by WHL »

Not in a million years, in her interview, she did not show one ounce of remorse, saying, seeing a persons beheaded head in a bin didn't faze her, and she didn't have any regrets going there....What any right thinking person, would want filth like her back into the country?.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Much as I think she shouldn't, she is a UK citizen and our problem. She won't be convicted of anything and will need monitoring.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

She shouldn't and her citizenship should have been revoked as soon as legally possible! If she becomes "stateless" then that is no longer the UK's problem, it's her problem ………………………… she made her choice and choices have consequences, particularly the one she made!

Shane
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jimgward wrote: Sat Feb 16, 2019 3:04 pm she is a UK citizen and our problem.
Her citizenship should be revoked; it is legally possible.
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

She was HAPPY with the ISIS. However now she is pregnant the story is changed. She is once again a British citizen with all the rights that gives her.

The Home Secretary should show his mettle and declare her a Non Citizen-stateless. However I suspect he has not the balls to do such a thing.
All things are possible
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

The Manchester bomber was one such allowed (brought back even) into Britain, never ever should any of them be allowed to return, once they leave to join ISIS, their citizenship should be revoked automatically.

Our sons and daughters have died at the hands of these terrorists, so she's pregnant, so what, her choice, as was leaving Britain. Never let any of them back in.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If she is British then she is Britain's problem.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

No doubt she will get something similar to witness protection, paid by the tax payers of course
David
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

That would seem a likely possibility if she does return to the UK..
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Uncle D

Yes this is one of the sickening parts of this farce, we are sending out the wrong message to the world here.

It seems that terrorist sympathies run in her family, so no surprise she has them. As I see it, the law can be changed, it should be that if terrorists and their families return to the UK as they are British Citizens, then they should be charged with treason and face the consequences.

I will never forget that two of my granddaughter's could have been their victims at Manchester, they were two of the lucky ones. Drummer Lee Rigby paid a terrible price, simply because he was a British Soldier, that murder also might have been members of my family, we should never ever allow them back into Britain.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Firefly wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 2:22 pm if terrorists and their families return to the UK as they are British Citizens
The law allows their British citizenship to be revoked. They should simply not be allowed to return to the UK as they would be stateless. I feel not a milligram of sympathy for this monstrous woman. As for the baby she is carrying, that is her problem, not the UK's.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Totally agree Devil.
jagwheels

Post by jagwheels »

I don't want her back in the UK unless she is to face appropriate charges & hopefully the rule of law will be invoked. Seems to me that if she is declared stateless that could present a problem for another country. I am also a bit concerned that at the age of 15 when she left she may not have fully developed adult reasoning
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

She is a British Subject and unfortunately the PC Brigade and Bleeding Hearts AND Do-gooders will be screaming from the roofs for her return as it is her right. She has shown no remorse whatsoever, she is only interested in the UK Tax Payer and NHS to look after her. She has even stated that she has shown weakness by leaving IS.

Sorry but for the last 4 years she has chosen to live hand in hand with terrorists and went with the specific view to be an IS Bride and produce the next generation of IS Fighters. Had IS been in the position to offer the medical facilities the UK has to offer does ANYONE honestly believe she would be pleading to come back - of course not she would have remained. She may have been impressionable when she left 4 years ago but she has had 4 years to return and she chose to stay.

She is a danger to the unborn child as this innocent baby; should it be allowed to remain with her will grow up with the IS ideology which was the aim of the IS Brides, secondly how can we trust her back into the UK given her current beliefs - she went to the IS Caliphate to live amongst IS Fighters that have murdered westerners at a drop of a hat which did not faze her whatsoever - Strip her of her nationality and let her go back to the glorious caliphate she ran off to.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

L T D

Good post.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

She was born and bred in the UK. She is the UK's problem. Nobody else's.

By all means, bang her up for treason. But don't try and palm her off to anybody else.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I agree with Dominic. She's our responsibility but it doesn't mean she shouldn't be punished and dealt with accordingly.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell
Under Intrnational Law a country is unable to strip a person of their citizenship and leave them stateless.
It only if a person has dual citizenship is a country able to withdraw citizenship.
The Home Office can suspend citizenship for up to two years but that's as far as they can go

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Jim B wrote: Mon Feb 18, 2019 10:44 am Under Intrnational Law a country is unable to strip a person of their citizenship and leave them stateless.
That is not true. There are millions of stateless persons in this world. I've known one as a colleague. I quoted in the start to this thread:
In January 2014, the Immigration Bill 2013–14 was introduced to extend the powers of the Home Secretary to declare certain terrorism suspects stateless. The bill was initially blocked by the House of Lords in April 2014.[105] However, the Lords reconsidered their decision in May 2014, and the bill returned to the House of Commons before being set into UK law.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statelessness
Even Albert Einstein was stateless for several years.