Will the Brexiters be moving back to the UK?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
WHL

Re: Will the Brexiters be moving back to the UK?

Post by WHL »

ApusApus wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:25 pm
WHL wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:59 pm A very simple question,
Will the UK, be a more prosperous place/ better standard of living, outside of Europe or within Europe...

Personally I think the UK will be economically worse off.
Ahhh but here's another simple question ……………………… over what period of time are you considering? For example, <12 months, 2-5 years, 10+ years! If in the long term we become better off then it validates the vote, the only problem is that we don't know what is going to happen in the long term whether we leave the EU or not?

Shane
From now on is my answer, I think the UKs standard of living will be below the level, had we remained in the EU.
outasite

Post by outasite »

Looking at all the hoohah in the media, plus her ladyship spouting, I am getting more and more inclined to think that the speech about why we are not leaving after all has already been written.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

ApusApus wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 3:15 pm
Jim B wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:02 pm
And it was 36% of the population, not 52% who voted to leave.
Jim
That's irrelevant, the turnout of those eligible to vote was 72% and out of those 52% voted to leave! https://www.bbc.com/news/politics/eu_referendum/results

Maybe you should be directing your wrath at the 28% that couldn't be bothered to get off their a***s and cast their vote? :lol:

Shane
It is irrelevant but the truth and I agree with you about those who didn't vote.
My point about not having the Heavy Engineering manufacturing base and knowhow is also true, that's why we are bringing in French, Chinese, Japanese and Korean companies to build Nuclear Power Stations because we haven't got the technical knowledge to do it any more; Thatcher saw to that.
When I started work 99% of the equipment was British on the construction projects I worked on, nowadays we are lucky to see 1%.
Now we only make widgets that go into equipment made by other countries, we don't make the machines that make the widgets any more.
Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim B

Mrs Thatcher is to blame again for all the ills that befell the UK, I don't agree, I think you can lay the blame fairly and squarely at the door of the unions of the day.

We lost thousands in revenue because we couldn't make promised delivery dates due to the unions calling workers out on strike, I was there, and I remember in the sixties and seventies one strike after another, that's what crippled our industry. I know some won't like that, but it's the truth. Scargill didn't do too badly out of the miners strike either, not like the work force.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

WHL wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:28 pm
WHL wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 12:59 pm A very simple question,
Will the UK, be a more prosperous place/ better standard of living, outside of Europe or within Europe...

Personally I think the UK will be economically worse off.
Ahhh but here's another simple question ……………………… over what period of time are you considering? For example, <12 months, 2-5 years, 10+ years! If in the long term we become better off then it validates the vote, the only problem is that we don't know what is going to happen in the long term whether we leave the EU or not?

Shane
From now on is my answer, I think the UKs standard of living will be below the level, had we remained in the EU.
But over what period? :?

Shane
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Jim B wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:47 pm It is irrelevant but the truth and I agree with you about those who didn't vote.
My point about not having the Heavy Engineering manufacturing base and knowhow is also true, that's why we are bringing in French, Chinese, Japanese and Korean companies to build Nuclear Power Stations because we haven't got the technical knowledge to do it any more; Thatcher saw to that.
When I started work 99% of the equipment was British on the construction projects I worked on, nowadays we are lucky to see 1%.
Now we only make widgets that go into equipment made by other countries, we don't make the machines that make the widgets any more.
Jim
I understand what you are saying about our manufacturing base but the unions of the sixties/seventies are more to blame than Maggie! Don't get me wrong, the unions have done a sterling job in improving workers rights and pay but equally, they have contributed to the decline of our industry by their self-interested ideologies, Maggie just "sorted" them out!

I too started work in an engineering company in the seventies and I remember the unions had total control over the company ……………… and I remember crossing picket lines because the unions were striking for the most stupid of reasons!

The fact is we have to play to the strengths that we have now and if it's making widgets and other "bits" then that's what we have to focus on. Haven't we just concluded an agreement with Switzerland which guarantees our future trading relationship worth 32bn of widgets https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47196636?

Our financial status will recover as soon as this Brexit fiasco is finalised, hopefully sooner rather than later!

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

All I know Shane is I got more out of EU legislation than I ever did out of any Union or Labour Party. I was one of those idiots who stood on the picket lines hoping for a better tomoŕrow until I realised the Unions were hand in glove with management.
Switzerland is just a roll over of a deal we already have which Japan and Korea have refused to do because they believe they have the whip hand.
Berger who are the biggest widget maker in the UK said the other day that clients are taking their widget requirements to other companies within the EU so we not even have the luxury of widgets to fall back on.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I’m looking forward to cheaper Tobleerone - always wanted to tear my upper mouth even more....
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:46 pm I’m looking forward to cheaper Tobleerone - always wanted to tear my upper mouth even more....
Look no further than Stelios in Livadia. They currently have in on special for 3,99 per 300 g.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:32 pm Remind me what we import and export from the Faroe Islands, 'cus that's one of the four 'Deals' so far secured out of the 50 promised by the midnight hour :lol:
As part of developmental aid the EU doesn´t charge customs duties for imports from the world´s 50 poorest nations. Maybe that´s what they were referring to? :lol:
jeba

Post by jeba »

Back to the topic: Seems quite a few are at least worried they may have to move back:
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 11:32 pm Remind me what we import and export from the Faroe Islands, 'cus that's one of the four 'Deals' so far secured out of the 50 promised by the midnight hour :lol:

Further to Jim B's post above, Ford are now saying they will up-sticks in the event of a No Deal: https://news.sky.com/story/ford-reporte ... k-11636480 First few paras below:

Brexit: Ford 'steps up preparations to move production abroad'

Ford has issued a fresh warning on the "catastrophic" impact of a no-deal Brexit after reportedly telling the prime minister that it was stepping up preparations to move production out of Britain.

The US-owned car-making giant said it was prepared to act as necessary to "preserve the competitiveness" of its business in Europe.

Ford employs about 13,000 people in the UK, including engine plants at Bridgend in south Wales and Dagenham in Essex - roughly a quarter of its 54,000-strong workforce across Europe.

It has previously warned that leaving the EU without a deal would be disastrous and last month Sky News revealed it expected such an outcome would cost it as much as $800m (£622m) this year alone.

I guess they won’t be relocating to Italy or Germany then in view of the news this morning! :lol:

Shane
jeba

Post by jeba »

Seems Brits in Cyprus will be able to stay (at least those with at least an MEU1):
WHL

Post by WHL »

ApusApus wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 6:27 pm
WHL wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Shane

But over what period? :?

Shane
I answered you, from now on .
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Sounded this morning like a very early migration of geese, but turned out to be a wave of PF3s [Project Fear #3s] honking overhead. Actually, blue and yellow flying pigs have become commonplace- these no doubt heading for Nicosia to drop something unpleasant on the Cypriot Foreign Minister’s office, following yesterday’s predictable and sane statement he made concerning ex-pats.
Anyway, enough nonsense- (we have plenty of that every day from Project Fear) - if you are a little bored with the weather, try this link, but Europhiles should have their brown trousers handy.
https://www.smava.de/european-debt-clock/
and another good one, on Target2:
https://www.handelsblatt.com/today/fina ... ml?ticket=
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

WHL wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 9:26 am I answered you, from now on .
Apologies, I misread your post!

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Reed-Mogg said 30 years to realise the benefits. Digby said 100 years.....
jeba

Post by jeba »

kingfisher wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 10:18 am and another good one, on Target2:
https://www.handelsblatt.com/today/fina ... ml?ticket=
Being German, that has been my pet peeve about the Euro (even though surprisingly enough the Target 2 balance has reduced by almost 20% recently). But why would that prevent Ford from moving to Germany (they have factories there already anyway)?
WHL

Post by WHL »

jeba wrote: Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:24 am
Jimgward wrote: Wed Feb 13, 2019 10:46 pm I’m looking forward to cheaper Tobleerone - always wanted to tear my upper mouth even more....
Look no further than Stelios in Livadia. They currently have in on special for 3,99 per 300 g.
Im sure that would be great for everyone in Paphos :lol: