Unite Cyprus calls on Cypriots to put past demons behind them

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Paphos Life

Unite Cyprus calls on Cypriots to put past demons behind them

Post by Paphos Life »

All Cypriots should rise against the past demons of Enosis and Taksim that seem to haunt us still, the Unite Cyprus Now (UCN) initiative said on Tuesday, calling on ruling party Disy to take clear action to prove its dissociation from the far-right rhetoric of comments made by its MP Eleni Stavrou....

Read the article and chat about it below...
smudger

Re: Unite Cyprus calls on Cypriots to put past demons behind them

Post by smudger »

Wow is all I can find to say. I really and truly wish that both sides would coordinate and reunite this beautiful island.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:25 am It's not just North vs. South, but rather Turkey + North vs. South.
but rather Turkey + North vs. South vs the other half of the South :)
WHL

Post by WHL »

David Brown wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:38 pm I cant see it happening,There are far reaching problems on both sides also the EU for all their talk don't want this resolved because they don't want Turkey in the EU.
Even if Cyprus is reunited, it would not mean Turkey would become an EU member, Countries like Austria and France and others, are against giving Turkey full membership.
josef k

Post by josef k »

I have to agree with Hudswell (that's something I don't often say).
If Cyprus is to be reunited, then the process must be taken away from the politicians. Germany was reunited because of a popular movement taking the initiative to knock down the wall. The same could happen here by people on both sides removing the barricades in Nicosia and meeting in the buffer zone. But will they? That's the question.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Turkey will never be admitted to the EU under Erdogan or even for decades- they are far too far away from any entry mechanism.

Germany totally opposes their entry - it was never on the table, Project EU-Fear
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Whilst nothing has been decided then there is always the possibility of reunification which I personally think would be great and I agree with josef k that the non-politicians could have a big sway in the outcome. Unfortunately, Erdogan has backed himself into a corner with his constant rhetoric and there is no way his ego will let him back down so until he goes then no outcome will probably be the result! Equally culpable though are Greece who also need to get out of the conundrum but will they ……………………… and will the Greek Cypriots accept them doing so?

Shane
WHL

Post by WHL »

Turkey has more important things to concentrate on then little Cyprus
https://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-fro ... BT13humH4M
manxie

Post by manxie »

From my talks with Greek Cypriots that I am friends with one of the biggest stumbling blocks is the non Turkish Cypriots they will not accept them, the more moderate g,c say ok if they married t,c then maybe, I think that main land turks must be compensated and encouraged to return if possible I can see no solution other wise
manxie

Post by manxie »

If you read my comment I think they need to have a t,c some where or otherI ,am just passing on comments made to me ,how do we know if an attractive offer was made, I have been to the north side afew times and when you get off the beaten track life style is not as good as the greek side and yes I have been in many villages hear and you can see the difference
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote:Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:20 pm But for a lot of them it is not a case of “returning, they were born in Cyprus, are now second or third generation, it is their home. Would we advocate the return of Greek Cypriots who moved to the UK or elsewhere after the invasion? They now hold British passports..and are entitled to remain, I am afraid the boat on the return of non indigenous Turkish Cypriots back to the mainland has long since sailed.
Ive read some idiotic posts on here, but you take the Gold medal, trying to compare people, lawfully going to the UK for a new life, after losing everything then working hard to start new a life... to people brought over here illegally from Turkey living in stolen property,, .Which is a War Crime , one of many Turkey committed ...making a new life on the misery of others........ you really are thick or just a wind up merchant.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:20 pm But for a lot of them it is not a case of “returning, they were born in Cyprus, are now second or third generation, it is their home. Would we advocate the return of Greek Cypriots who moved to the UK or elsewhere after the invasion? They now hold British passports..and are entitled to remain, I am afraid the boat on the return of non indigenous Turkish Cypriots back to the mainland has long since sailed.
Thats the part of your post, I was replying to, no more no less, stop putting words in my mouth.

As for placing blame, just look back, at my posts, ive always said all five parties to the Cyprus problem have blame and blood on their hands.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:18 am If you can’t see the irony in my initial comment then the light bulb is even dimmer than I thought. The removal of illegal settlers is high on the list of “demands” by some sections of the Cypriot political elite and it would seem from comments made by Manxie by some iin the GC community and implied by yourself...so what is the solution? Putting aside the bigotry and hatred perhaps....because it’s still there.
It is estimated that around half of the people in northern Cyprus are settlers - and they didn't all arrive straight after the war. Their relocation was in breach of the Geneva Convention and the only solution I can see is that a sizeable number are returned (but not all) - perhaps starting with the number that have arrived in the last decade in a last in first out basis. That would mean the settlers that have been in Cyprus the longest would remain and *could* be a compromise that people could agree on.

The previous, unrealistic peace agreement, allowed for the settlers to remain and even vote on the agreement itself - one of the many reasons it was rejected by the GC's.

The analogy re GC's in the UK is a poor one and the situations are not remotely comparable imo.

Cheers

Steve
manxie

Post by manxie »

Their will be no solution untill the Tc balance is back to somewhere near before 74 of course their has to be negotiated talks you have to try and avoid ethnic cleansing and in my opinion the way is to offer a compensation package funded partially by EU who seem to want to put money into the north and also from the oil and gas revenues to encourage the turkish people that do not have a real and genuine reason to be their you have to start some where and I think this is the biggest stumbling blocks a lot of the GC property is occupied by main land turks so I am told so by compensating them on condition that they return to Turkey maybe is one of the ways to get things moving it is going to cost you only have to look at the German reunification I know their are a lot of other things to over come ,from little acorns mighty oaks grow
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:01 pm And from a Greek Cypriot Position that would of course make perfect sense, but unfortunately Turkish Cypriots and Settlers from Turkey would probably argue that they have cut ties from the “Mainland” and have made their homes in the North and have nothing to return to.
So your suggesting that the GC side is unreasonable by wanting some of the settlers to return but it's not unreasonable to seek no compromise and just suggest that they all stay - that doesn't seem right.
Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:01 pmSo do you now uproot, split families...send the settlers back to what exactly?
I would suggest that it is Turkey that should answer those questions. It is after all Turkey that has used settlers as a political pawn and the results are clear in the numbers.
Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:01 pmAnd as I said my reference to Those Greek Cypriots who fled the country in 74, before and after the event was slightly tongue in cheek...but hey why not..
Weren't many who fled of dual nationality i.e. British & Cypriot? Didn't the countries that accepted them have the legal authority to do so? Were they fleeing a war? etc etc it's simply not the same.
Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:01 pmRelocation of Turkish settlers may have been an option even 30 years ago...now...it’s a non starter, as I said the boat has sailed on that one.
Some of the settlers haven't been there thirty years - I think without at least a token number returning then it will be difficult to find a solution as compromise has to be on both sides.

Cheers

Steve
manxie

Post by manxie »

You miss the point how many have TC naturalization ,you can argue the point as long as you like what would your starting point be
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 6:55 pm I just cannot see the point of returning any settlers back to Turkey..why? Exactly what is the point or is it just making a point? These people moved over presumably for a better life...they are settled have had their families over here there is room, there are resources...so why can’t the Greek Cypriot side be magnanimous, or is it, which I suspect is the reason, they just don’t want to be in a position where the TC community have a significant slice of the “population” which can actually influence the running of the country! Back to the bad old days...
I thought you were a just a wind up merchant, but after reading that post, I now know your a wind up merchant. theres no point in trying to discuss anything Cyprus related after that little gem of a post.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Pot kettle.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That was my point. And quite frankly I am getting fed up with your continued argumentative tone on this forum. I already gave you a two week ban in the hope that you would adopt a more civil approach and stop picking fights at every opportunity. However, you are showing no signs of doing so. Your next ban will be permanent.

Please bear this in mind.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.