Healthcare after “No Deal”

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Lincoln

Re: Healthcare after “No Deal”

Post by Lincoln »

A politician.jpg
A politician.jpg (5.98 KiB) Viewed 4328 times
Waiting for info re Brexit and Health care in Cyprus for us ex-pats.
All things are possible
WHL

Post by WHL »

Lincoln wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:53 pm A politician.jpgWaiting for info re Brexit and Health care in Cyprus for us ex-pats.
How can the UK give us any info, when they haven't got a clue, what will happen themselves?
tonee

Post by tonee »

Good post McManiac...This was supposed to be about our future healthcare here,not how many frigging eastern Europeans emigrating to the UK.
The Cyprus NHS(Gesy) is due to begin in 4 weeks time and I am still non the wiser!
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

tonee wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:44 pm Good post McManiac...This was supposed to be about our future healthcare here,not how many frigging eastern Europeans emigrating to the UK.
The Cyprus NHS(Gesy) is due to begin in 4 weeks time and I am still non the wiser!
No one can really tell you what the future health care provisions will be at this stage and any information is already out there.
How the GESY will work is also up in the air given that many groups of doctors are refusing to sign up to it.

Really all anyone can do is wait at this stage.

Cheers

Steve
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pm You make some valid points Steve, but I would suggest quoting percentages rather than numbers always skews the argument
Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pmBut let’s play the numbers game shall we, and the Romanians...the Romanian population in the UK alone stands at over 411,000, and 80% increase since 2014
You can't have it both ways ;)
Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:16 pmMany come (most UK citizens I would suggest) to Cyprus to retire...a win win situation for the Cypriot Authorities...but not a primary reason for EU immigrants moving to the UK.
And the young healthy couple from Poland who move to the UK, work and pay taxes, get a property, have children who grow up and work and pay taxes is that not a win-win for the UK Authorities??

Cheers

Steve
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

As the world's biggest trade deal between Japan and the EU comes into force today, maybe we should also check https://www.amazon.co.jp ? :)
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

This Japan trade deal allows 0% tarrifs on cars, amongst other things. One of the largest in the world.

IF the UK does not continue to enjoy tariff free trade with the EU - and therefore Japan and others - then every car factory in the UK will fold within a couple of years.

Yet Sunderland and may other areas with car plants, all voted Leave.....

But back to the Health situation, if/when we leave, I cannot see reciprocal health arrangements continuing. I know for a fact the NHS trusts are terrible at invoicing cross border. Even between England and Wales, never mind elsewhere. It has never worked properly and will collapse, in my opinion.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Lots of "if's" there Jimgward but that's not unusual for you but then you do have a half empty glass at hand! Perhaps if you looked at it from a business point of view then you would realise that tariffs will not happen and reciprocal agreements will ………………… or are those concepts beyond your comprehension?

Shane

aka "The Idiot" ;)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Fair play to Jim for blocking somebody that was annoying him. I wish more people did that rather than just regurgitate the same old arguments ad nauseam.

In answer to your question, you missed the point. The problem is not at Cyprus' end. Why would Cyprus care if the UK failed to bill them?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Oxfordboy wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 7:49 pm As the world's biggest trade deal between Japan and the EU comes into force today, maybe we should also check https://www.amazon.co.jp ? :)
If you have a yen to do so

(For those of non-English mother-tongue, one definition of yen is 'gen. A craving, a yearning, a longing (for). colloq. E20')
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Things will change one way or another but what we can be sure of things won't be the same.

Jim

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... are_btn_fb
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:31 pm Dominic, I think you both missed the point...I suspect Cyprus would care very much if the UK did not uphold its commitment to reimburse the Cypriot authority’s for the medical care for UK expats...which it does..the fact that it is negligent in invoicing those that use its services is not the point.unfortunate but not the point. ...RTFQ.
Actually, it was the EXACT point that Jim was making:
But back to the Health situation, if/when we leave, I cannot see reciprocal health arrangements continuing. I know for a fact the NHS trusts are terrible at invoicing cross border. Even between England and Wales, never mind elsewhere. It has never worked properly and will collapse, in my opinion.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Of course, exiting the EU will cause problems regarding some older functions, I was living on the island in the days before Cyprus joining the EU and we had reciprocal health care then as we do now, I expect the system to stay the same when the UK, unfortunately leaves the EU, time will tell of course.
Jim.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell
The same article was on the BBC Website. Most right wing media outlets will not publicise anything detrimental to Brexit.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

This appeared in my Social Care inbox today;

Major care home suppliers stockpiling food in case of no-deal Brexit

Care home suppliers apetito and Bidfood are stockpiling food to prepare for a possible no-deal Brexit.

Related stories
• Council-funded care homes spending just £2.44 a day on resident’s meals, research finds
• UK must remain open to EU carers after Brexit, Age UK says

I've highlighted the fact that surprise me the most - not really - the standard of food in Hospitals is even worse!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

I understand that this amount is not abnormal in care homes, sadly some are not the best run establishments. I have visited several I wouldn't put a sick dog into.

Some hospitals have very good food, others not, it's a lottery. I do not know if hospital meals are now supplied by caterers, but in my time we had our own cooks, using fresh ingredients, just as good as a home cooked meal.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jackie

I agree that sadly, it varies greatly and my mother was in two hospitals, one where they cooked on-site and the food was good. The other, cooked in Preston and then sent lorries 150 miles with the food, to be served later.... it was pigswill.....

Care homes, as you say, also vary greatly and we wouldn’t leave toddlers in that level of care, yet we do with our elderly. The entire industry needs a massive injection of cash and I’m afraid we have left it so long to raise the taxes or create an insurance for it. Theresa May wants to charge all over 40’s £40 a month, which I think is a great idea, towards funding care.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:09 pmTheresa May wants to charge all over 40’s £40 a month, which I think is a great idea, towards funding care.
Shouldn´t that be tax funded since it´s a risk that affects everybody and tax funding would take into account the individual ´s financial capacity?
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Feb 06, 2019 8:55 am It is a Tax Jeba, placed on National Insurance for the over 40’s, and as it is in NI would be payable until they retire (NI is not payed after retirement), and actually based on a similar system in Germany. The tax would be ring fenced...which is the bit which I would have reservations about...dipping into it would be hard to resist for “officials”.
So the UK does have mandatory health insurance? Or what is this "National Insurance"? I always had understood the NHS was tax funded?
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

A British government bill aimed at helping the UK make bilateral healthcare deals with EU countries in the event of a no-deal Brexit was debated in the House of Lords on the 5th February.

The Healthcare (International Arrangements) Bill 2017-2019 empowers the government to fund and negotiate healthcare deals in the event of British state pensioners being left without the ‘S1 form’ arrangements for their healthcare in countries like France after the UK leaves the EU. Such deals could also potentially include arrangements to replace the loss of the Ehic scheme for holiday visitors and second home owners.

At present if the UK leaves with no deal nothing is in place with regard to the funding of British pensioners’ healthcare in France from March 30, 2019 . The bill being debated does not solve the issue but formalises the UK’s willingness to agree and pay for similar arrangements to the S1 as part of reciprocal deals. You can see the debate at this link.

https://www.parliamentlive.tv/Event/Ind ... genda=True