Healthcare after “No Deal”

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
MacManiac

Healthcare after “No Deal”

Post by MacManiac »

Interesting article in The Guardian today ... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
Firefly

Re: Healthcare after “No Deal”

Post by Firefly »

Yes it will revert to how it was when we first went to live in Cyprus, you got your own health insurance.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

MacManiac wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:49 pm Interesting article in The Guardian today ... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
Yes,good point,so what will happen to Cypriots needing health care on the NHS ? Oh,and of course you point out a report by the very left wing Guardian :shock:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Chaddy wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:33 pm
MacManiac wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 4:49 pm Interesting article in The Guardian today ... https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... SApp_Other
Yes,good point,so what will happen to Cypriots needing health care on the NHS ? Oh,and of course you point out a report by the very left wing Guardian :shock:
Funny how it’s always those of a “right” persuasion that never accept anything from the likes of the guardian, but accept the “truth” of the express, mail and sun, never mind Times, Telgraph and more
WHL

Post by WHL »

If you leave a club, slamming the door on your way out..dont be surprised if you lose your club benefits.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:21 pm Yes it will revert to how it was when we first went to live in Cyprus, you got your own health insurance.
And what if you can´t find an insurance company which accepts you because of preexisting conditions? I don´t know about Cyprus, but in Germany they have a right to decline you for their normal tariffs. They only are obligated to accept you in a special "basic tariff" with limited benefits and and a state regulated cost of more than € 700/month.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I know in 2003 when I brought my car over from the UK, customs wanted £14,500 Sterling import duty. Cyprus fought tooth and nail not to comply with EU custom regulations especially on vehicles but had to concede in the end. As Lloyd said C&E Cyprus will be rubbing their hands with glee. I had to ship the car back at considerable cost in the end.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jeba

In that case you would have to fund yourself.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 9:56 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 1:37 am In the event of a No Deal - the very worst scenario - I'm expecting a lot of retaliatory pay-back towards the UK and it's citizens, wherever they reside. That's in addition to the pain, inconvenience, delays, taxes and shortages which will arise from having new Customs controlled borders. Bear in mind that the UK has so far done little or nothing to augment HM Customs with the thousands of additional officers and facilities it will need. Our EU partners meanwhile have: Irish, French and Dutch that I know of.

In the increasingly likely event of a No Deal, best place orders with Amazon UK and those carriers who currently deliver to Paphos WELL before March 29th. If you think the Cyprus Post Office can't cope with Christmas Mail, just wait and see what happens after a Customs border is set up between the UK and Cyprus!
Actually Lloyd I don’t see it that way, especially in regard to the “basics”. The collective “EU” have already indicated visa free travel even if no deal is reached and I strongly believe that in matters like health care reciprocal agreements will be in place, especially between countries like Spain and Cyprus, which have large expat communities. Border control is a completely different issue and can of course be made as difficult as the eu wish it to be made...
I agree with you, Hudswell. I find the notion of retaliatory pay-back quite far-fetched.

And the Amazon issue will be largely alleviated by switching to amazon.de
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 12:19 pm Jeba

In that case you would have to fund yourself.
Which for quite a few will be beyond their means.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jeba

Maybe, in that case one will have to decide whether to stay in Cyprus or return to their country of origin.

As a matter of interest Jeba, as you are German, will the UK leaving the EU affect you at all ?

Jackie
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 4:25 pm Jeba

Maybe, in that case one will have to decide whether to stay in Cyprus or return to their country of origin.

As a matter of interest Jeba, as you are German, will the UK leaving the EU affect you at all ?

Jackie
Indirectly, I am. Firstly because I invested in UK property stocks and therefore am upset about the drop of the pound and stock prices and secondly, because it might mean that a British friend (who I have reason to be grateful towards as she helped me care for my moribund mother ) will have problems of the kind we´re talking about above.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jeba

Stock prices will recover post Brexit, how long after is another thing.

Your friend will have to wait and see how things pan out, before making a decision. I did hear that post Brexit, British citizens now residing in EU countries will continue to have NHS cover, obviously I'm not sure if this is so.

One thing is for sure, it will affect all British Citizens wherever they are, in one way or another.

Jackie
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 6:59 pm Stock prices will recover post Brexit, how long after is another thing.
Well, to cite Keynes: in the long run we´ll all be dead. I´d rather have had them not dive in the first place.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I think Keynes was being optimistic!

Shane
jeba

Post by jeba »

ApusApus wrote: Wed Jan 30, 2019 8:36 pm I think Keynes was being optimistic!

Shane
Maybe because he didn´t anticipate Brexit.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jeba

The problem is that no-one did expect Brexit, even those who voted for it like myself, MOH and I cheered at the news that morning.

Jackie
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And Overall Jackie, are you happy enough about it now ?
Trev..
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Trevor,

Yes very much so, as are most of my family and friends, we are just fed up of all the messing about because no-one had prepared for it.

Personally I do not believe that it will be anything like as bad as the remainers like to make out, yes there will be changes, but life is like that, it's how you deal with it that matters. Threats just make you dig your heels in further.

Cheers

Jackie
jeba

Post by jeba »

Firefly wrote: Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:44 pm The problem is that no-one did expect Brexit, even those who voted for it like myself, MOH and I cheered at the news that morning.
How can you cheer on something which causes hardship on a lot of your fellow country(wo)men and will probably do lot of harm to the UK economy when most of what you wanted (like stopping non-EU immigration) can be avoided by other means? I find it mindboggling. A bit like those jokers who want my home region of Franconia separate from the state of Bavaria.