Would The UK Vote to Join The EU Today?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: Would The UK Vote to Join The EU Today?

Post by Jim B »

In 1975 I voted yes; I'd worked in Europe prior to joining the EEC and British working conditions were third world in comparison to other Western Eurpean countries at the time. Management are now responsible for their actions wereas prior to being a member accidents were misadventure but now they can be charged with corporate manslaughter so they have to provide a safe working environment for their employees.
I'm aware the UK pumps lots of money into the EU but we get much of it back and the money is directed to where it's needed unlike before were everything went to the SouthEast. Even now the two biggest projects in the UK are based in London, Crossrail and the High Spèed Link.
The EU pumped money into cleaning the rivers anď beaches of the UK; do you believe left to their own devices successive UK governments would have done the same.
The ordinary people have benefited more from EU directives than they ever did from either Labour or Tory governments.
Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Would The UK Vote to Join The EU Today?

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Jan 29, 2019 6:43 pm I am sure Jim is perfectly capable of defending himself after posting quite frankly comments designed to stimulate robust response. Politics like religion often divides opinion and yes heated discussion, that is both normal and healthy, nothing to do with being an “argumentative sod” as so you eloquently suggest. If you want bland and vanilla then perhaps the politics section is not for some.
Jim shouldn't have to defend himself. He was answering a question. Stop being the pub bore.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.