Where does May go from here...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Where does May go from here...

Post by Dominic »

Actually the feel appears to be that a hard Brexit is now less likely, given the scale of the defeat. This has been reflected in the rise in sterling since the result.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

When it comes to stubborness, Lloyd, you are running a close second to May.
By Act of Parliament, the UK leaves the EU on March 29th as per the wishes of the majority of UK citizens who bothered to actually vote.
Of course the Europhile parliament and the Establishment [+EU] will not give up doing everything in their power- and it is considerable, though not representative of the people- to derail the process.
The big danger is the consequence of treating the original AND ONLY Peoples’ Vote with further contempt. The Referendum was about self-determination- not economics. Forget car production – ignoring the will of the people could be THE mistake.

Jon.
jeba

Post by jeba »

kingfisher wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:02 am The big danger is the consequence of treating the original AND ONLY Peoples’ Vote with further contempt. The Referendum was about self-determination- not economics. Forget car production – ignoring the will of the people could be THE mistake.

Jon.
How would having another referendum ignore the will of the people (apart from that in representative democracies MPs are not bound by referenda)? On another note: was there a referendum on whether to leave the common market as well? If so I must have missed it.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

A Tory Cabinet Minister just said on BBC News that the legislation for leaving the EU could be changed after pressure from Victoria Derbyshire (it was either Brokenshire or Cleverly, can't be sure. He was get evasive but did eventually confirm this was the case.
As for we should all come together; why should I or millions like me who fundamentally disagree with Brexit support it?

Jim
Mrblobby

Post by Mrblobby »

I see the other “Donald” has tweeted .

“As the result came in, Donald Tusk tweeted: “If a deal is impossible, and no one wants no-deal, then who will finally have the courage to say what the only positive solution is?”
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 2:12 pm in this case the majority of those who voted in the referendum voted to leave.
Yes, but what about those who voted in the subsequent general election? Did those who voted the government into a lose-lose situation still want to leave and was it a protest against leaving?
josef k

Post by josef k »

Its a complete shambles. There doesn't seem to be a coherent strategy anywhere now. Therefore, someone needs to get a mandate from the people to take things forward in a way that has the people's support. This could be a second referendum, or a general election with parties taking different positions. Either way the UK will get a government with a clear mandate to move forward from this point. Not a point over 2 years ago, but a point now.
As to May, she is a dead woman walking and will join Cameron and Farage in the wilderness.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I watched quite a few politicians from all parties today and not one of them could give straight answer to a straight question. I must say I found Victoria Derbyshire's interview technique very refreshing.
I'm sure you don't go against your fundamental beliefs when Labour gets in power, you wait until there is another opportunity to try and vote them out which is your democratic right.
My democratic right (just like yours) is to vote for my preferred stance on either party or referendum and if we can persuade the government to hold another referendum that is a democratic right.
If we were trying to change the decision by a coup or by insurrection I would agree that would be undemocratic but lobbying politicians to change their minds is all part of the democratic process.

Jim
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:47 pm
Devil wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:55 pm
Yes, but what about those who voted in the subsequent general election? Did those who voted the government into a lose-lose situation still want to leave and was it a protest against leaving?
Which ever party was voted in after the last general election were already mandated by the people to take the UK out of the EU...as voted for in the referendum. Although not legally binding the Government promised to abide by the decision to leave.
You misinterpret what I said. I wasn't referring to the government but to the electors. They were clearly dissatisfied with what was going on, as is well demonstrated by May having all but lost her majority. I repeat: Did those who voted the government into a lose-lose situation still want to leave and was it a protest against leaving? It is my belief that May should have had the guts to resign after the election, when it was clear that the electorate was dissatisfied with her poor performance, the same as she should resign now to avoid a new election. This is nothing to do with Brexit, it is about parliamentary procedure.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:47 pm Which ever party was voted in after the last general election were already mandated by the people to take the UK out of the EU
But there was no mandate to leave the common market. My guess is that the consequences of this are more severe that those of leaving the EU.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I don't think it can get any worse for her now although I don't see there being any change after the vote this evening.
But Joe made light of it all :-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

😂
David
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

May chose to not form a cross-party Brexit group, instead choosing that it was a government decision and government negotiation, in fact, totally ignoring pleas from all parties for sharing of devcision. She apppointed a replacement for Davis, who achieved nothing, who then negotiated the “may’ deal, which he then opposed!

No one can blame anything but May and the Tory cabinet for gathering failure. If I was Corbyn, I’d tell her to forget it in trying to lump labour into the shambles. She got there, she should finish it all and not blame other parties for the failure. This is 100% a Government failure, no-one else.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Wrong, the Tories rejected involving other parties and made it purely a Tory process. Nobody else is to blame.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:46 pm
jeba wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:11 pm
Hudswell wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:47 pm Which ever party was voted in after the last general election were already mandated by the people to take the UK out of the EU
But there was no mandate to leave the common market. My guess is that the consequences of this are more severe that those of leaving the EU.
The UK voted to leave the EU....and as the EU have been telling us since, it cannot “Cherry Pick” the bits it likes, that is what the negotiations have all been about!
Leaving the EU is not the same as leaving the common market and staying within the common market isn´t cherrypicking. See Switzerland or Norway. Who says the UK electorate wanted to leave the common market?
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Weasel words.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:44 pm Jeba, The UK voted to leave the EU that includes the single market and custom union,
Wrong. At least according to the voting forms I saw on the internet. You make it sound as if the EU and the common market were the same things - which they are not.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Nobody chose any aspect of leaving. It was a binary choice, which is why there should be - A second referendum
Last edited by Jimgward on Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
JimX

Post by JimX »

Problem with that Referendum was nobody understood what that terrible vote would lead to, now we know I bet the vote would easily be to remain, and yes I did vote to remain it made sense then as it does today.
Jim.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:52 am They chose to leave the EU.
You´re repeating yourself. So let me repeat myself as well: But they never chose to leave the common market which is not the same as the EU. Ask the Norwegian or Swiss if you don´t believe me.