Where does May go from here...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: Where does May go from here...

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:26 am True Lloyd but I don’t think we are allowed to make those deals until the UK has actually departed the EU.
Yes, but they aren't even lined up.... Fox has failed miserably to do that.... we will be left ONLY with the WTO - which is not something that is a body as some make out...

This is. not like going back 30 odd years and trading as we used to. Everyone now is in Organisations for trade. People don't want single country trade deals as they are too complicated to do. That used to happen. But now the US, EU, AsiaPac, WTO and others have sown it all up....
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 10:26 am True Lloyd but I don’t think we are allowed to make those deals until the UK has actually departed the EU.
Yes, but they aren't even lined up.... Fox has failed miserably to do that.... we will be left ONLY with the WTO - which is not something that is a body as some make out...

This is. not like going back 30 odd years and trading as we used to. Everyone now is in Organisations for trade. People don't want single country trade deals as they are too complicated to do. That used to happen. But now the US, EU, AsiaPac, WTO and others have sown it all up....
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Fox admitted problems. He lauded a deal with India, which India refuted.... so I think if he had anything, he would tell us....

I know we can leave with wto as we have membership of that EU. However, it will lead to much increased pricing - according to most experts. Only Rees-Mogg seems to think it will be good.

People will want to trade with us, but that doesn’t mean it will be at the pricing we enjoy. Forecasts of doubling of beef prices and more are available.

As it stands, no May deal will go through parliament, leaving us only with a no-deal. I. That case, I think article 50 should be extended. I think we should then get proper government predictions of the effects - positive and negative - and then I think parliament has to vote and if not supported, it has t0 go back to the populace.

I understand a leave voter feeling their their vote was being ignored. But i also believe that the leave vote is also split and if the majority of parliament decided to vote for no-deal, then our sovereign capability to have done that - democracy - would have to be followed. Equally, if they cant back it - again sovereign choice - then the only option is to go back to the country.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Maybe we should have a second referendum:- Q. Leave with a deal/Leave with no deal. Delete as applicable.

Jim, I'm sorry you had such a rough deal before we joined the EU, I was a young woman in the sixties, and I had a fabulous time. I had a good job, and owned my own home, unlike many young people now. As for the bread strike, I bought flour and made my own.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I wasn't unhappy, Jackie, as everyone I knew was in the same boat - so nothing to raise concerns about my personal life. I purchased my first house - a 1-bedroom cottage with outside toilet - for £10,500 in 1981 - just before the interest rates rose to 16% or suchlike.... My mortgage became almost unaffordable. I was a young teacher with 1 child and had to take a second job, working 4 nights plus weekends, to afford my mortgage.....

When I went for a mortgage, the cheapest Barrat home at the time, was a studio flat - which was unaffordable to myself and my wife, both teachers.!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jackie - regarding the second Referendum with only leave options - in some ways I agree - but that would be difficult in an environment where it is estimated through polls that the majority favour Remain now...
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Just like they did before the Referendum.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

kingfisher wrote: Fri Jan 18, 2019 7:12 pm Just like they did before the Referendum.
Do you mean, before the Russians got involved?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Are they the same Russians that work for Trump by any chance ………… allegedly! ;)

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think the evidence shows rather more than a conspiracy.... Are you, a former employee, of GCHQ, telling me that the Russians have not committed cyber political interference in the WEST? REALLY?
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Of course the RUSSIANS are involved. They have infiltrated into the UK society and are very active in there work :mrgreen:
All things are possible
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Steady on chaps- our once-prolific Russia correspondent, OhSusanna, has not been heard of since she became a little critical of the regime!
Safer to stick to May!
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Lincoln wrote: Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:24 am Of course the RUSSIANS are involved. They have infiltrated into the UK society and are very active in there work :mrgreen:
That's actually not as far fetched as it sounds Lincoln - watch The Americans if you have the chance - a really good series and again not so far from reality as some might think:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ameri ... TV_series)

Based on the The Illegals Program (so named by the United States Department of Justice) which was a network of Russian sleeper agents under non-official cover. An investigation by the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) culminated in the arrest of ten agents and a prisoner exchange between Russia and the United States on July 9, 2010.

A.
Andy01424

Post by Andy01424 »

Well for one i cannot see how Mrch19th leave date can be extended or a new Referendum, it has already been signed by the Queen given Royal Assent as an Act of Parliament that we leave March 19th,so all the motions huff puff in there really going nowhere! Juncker and co not budging,and i doubt a Plan B so i believe May already knows its heading to No Deal Brexit,if there is a Plan B Juncker etc will not accept it and doubt very much,that either Party basically do not want to pee off Joe Public in case they get caned in next elections or cause basically civil unrest...https://newspunch.com/queen-elizabeth-e ... stoppable/ oh and for a little banter
Attachments
50061707_1468272886650764_3980704152404623360_n.jpg
50061707_1468272886650764_3980704152404623360_n.jpg (38.31 KiB) Viewed 4002 times
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Andy01424- Many thanks for that!
BTW, for thirty years my STD code in St.Leonards [Hastings] was 01424. Was very sad to watch the largest beached fishing fleet in Europe struggle- just
one of the many benefits of being “close to Europe”!!
Worse still, I actually voted for Amber Rudd [Hastings and Rye, Con.] last election. What a washout!
Jon.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Any Act of Parliament is reversible... that's Democracy

"the UK will automatically leave the EU on March 29, 2019, with or without a deal, unless Article 50 is extended or revoked. Amid the uncertainty, what's clear is that stopping Brexit requires a majority in parliament to change the law, force a second referendum or general election, and revoke Article 50."
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Andy

Loved your post :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

On her way out

for a drive.....

"Have Camera, Will Travel"