P&O

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jim B

Re: P&O

Post by Jim B »

Jim
I just checked your comments and the consensus is that Roaming Charges are pure profit. The initial setup of a system is the expensive part but that is for all coverage not just Roaming; a call from London to say Berlin is no more costly than from London to Leeds.
If you go to a site called Quora it explains on there how the charges work. At the end of the day we are still paying for Roaming calls but not at the extortionate rates the Providers were charging.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Just in; the company with no ferries who won the ferry contract have just had the contract cancelled. What a mess.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-47182361

Jim
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

And they say that no monies have been paid to them
Trev..
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

trevnhil wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:38 pm And they say that no monies have been paid to them
So who paid for the dredging of Ramsgate Harbour? According to the news the ferry company was paying for the dredging.

Jim
WHL

Post by WHL »

Priceless :lol: I know the feeling reading some of the posts.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Another leading billionaire Brexiteer jumping ship I see.

FLYBMI bites the dust blaming Brexit leaving passengers stranded all across Europe plus mass lay offs.

Jim

dailymail-fb://article/6713413/?target_url=https%3A%2F%2Fdailym.ai%2F2SJXZMz
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Come on Jim B, their statement blamed Brexit uncertainty AND rises in fuel and carbon costs ………………… and 376 employees are at risk of redundancy! https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47269397

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Shane
It said in the article I read that they were unable to sign contracts due to Brexit uncertainty and even so whether it is 37 or 376 being laid off it's not pleasant when you're one of them.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Interesting article from the Daily Mail no less about Health Insurance.

Jim

https://mol.im/a/6713319
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Jim B wrote: Sun Feb 17, 2019 9:13 pm Interesting article from the Daily Mail no less about Health Insurance.

Jim

https://mol.im/a/6713319
You really have to stop reading the DM, it's only enhancing your half glass empty mentality! If there is a No-Deal Brexit and that is IF, then the UK and the EU countries will strike bi-lateral health agreements? Every EU country will want its citizens in the UK covered by reciprocal health agreements just as the UK wants its citizens in the EU to be! How quickly will that happen, very quickly?

Shane
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Having a seen an article this morning on the subject of healthcare arrangements, the UK has already stated that healthcare for EU nationals living in the UK will continue whether or not there is a No-Deal Brexit! The UK is currently in negotiations with EU countries to establish reciprocal arrangements for UK nationals living in the EU .............. not quite the way the DM portrays it is it?

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I read it as the government is currently running around trying to make a last minute deal to get something in place before the end of March which is basically what you're saying; in other words there's no deal in place at the moment .
The medical contracts are supposed to be negotiated during the transition period but no Brexit Deal, no contract hence the warning.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Honda today.

Be no jobs left soon except picking vegetables.

Jim

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/hond ... 69736.html
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Opps, Jim B cherry picking the news ………………… never! :o

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Give us some good news Shane; how about Japan suspending trade talks because of the actions of Jeremy Hunt and Liam Fox?
Honda is all over the media this morning so not cherry picking at all; Project Fear is turning into Project Fact and Leavers are in denial. 500 jobs at Ford going at Bridge End because of Brexit.

Hudswelll
The UK government isn't doing too well on the negotiation talks at the moment is it? FACT; there is no health deal in place and the government is scrabbling around trying to make deals in case of no deal Brexit at the end of March and even if there is a Brexit deal the present health deal with the EU is only valid till the end of the transition period, keep up ;-)

There was an excellent interview on Up All Night 5 Live between Rod Sharpe and a Japanese professor who stated that the pull out of Japanese companies is directly down to the uncertainty of Brexit and other reasons given are just to sugar coat the pill . You can listen to it on catch up.

I promise to take off my sack cloth and ashes if you promise to take off your blinkers.

Jim
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

So Honda have confirmed the closure of their Swindon plant and funnily enough their statement says it has nothing to do with Brexit and everything to do with the global challenges facing the car industry, the Analysis by Dominic O'Connell sums up the situation pretty well! https://www.bbc.com/news/business-47287386

Tragic news for the employees but the closure was probably inevitable and has been compounded by the recent EU-Japan free trade deal which brings in zero tariffs on imports of Japanese cars in the future!

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Shane
I refer again to the interview on 5 Live mentioned above.
According to the professor interviewed Brexit paid a large part in the Honda decision but the Japanese didn't want to embarrass the British government by suggesting otherwise. It's strange how the story has changed from Brexit being partially responsible to nothing whatsoever to do with Honda pulling out don't you think?

Jim

hlttps://www.theguardian.com/business/2019/feb/1 ... SApp_Other
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

You can refer to as many professors as you like Jim B but I have provided a link to an actual statement made by a senior member of Honda Europe! Whether you believe him or not is up to you?

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Shane
Just like you want to believe what you want to believe.
By the way 94% of cars made in Honda, Swindon were petrol models; kind of blows the deisel argument right out of the water.
I never suggested it was all down to Brexit but it did play a part in it.

Jim
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

No, I think that a member of Honda's senior management has more kudos than some independent professor but if you want to believe an Independent professor then that's fine by me!

If Honda were closing Swindon and moving production to say Germany or France or somewhere else in the EU then you might have a valid point but they are not, they are moving it back to Japan, just like Nissan with their X-Trail? Because of problems in the global car industry like the collapse in the Chinese market, like diesel-gate, etc the Japanese car manufacturers have surplus capacity in their plants in Japan. Because the EU has now secured a brilliant trade agreement with Japan, car imports to the EU will have zero tariffs which means that the Japanese car manufacturers no longer need manufacturing bases in Europe!

It's hardly rocket science but hey at least the German and French car manufacturers will be happy as they can sell their cars to Japan with zero tariffs!

Shane