P&O

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
WHL

P&O

Post by WHL »

Just read that P&O are re registering some of their Ships to the Cyprus flag, to get around Brexit.
ApusApus

Re: P&O

Post by ApusApus »

Makes sense, just like banks and other organisations are making sure they have secure European operations! Nobody knows what's going to happen after "B" day but having "a foot in and a foot out" seems prudent to me!

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

You couldn't make it up. The list of Directors is a who's who of Tory Doners.

Jim

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ?CMP=fb_gu
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I don’t understand why extra capacity is looked at, when the potential delays are all paperwork related? Extra customs checks and officers needed but not dealt with.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

in the event of No Deal, seaborne has been given £13.8MILLION to run “roro” ferries to alternative ports, to keep the queues down at Dover.
But they do not have a single ship, and have never owned a single ship!
David
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Reportedly already over £340k in the red too and just seen another article which says Seaborne won't get any money up front so no idea how that's all going to pan out...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Well I think it's funny

Jim

WHL

Post by WHL »

I honestly can't remember a Government so inept as this one, im sure there has been, but I can't think of one.
outasite

Post by outasite »

Tax avoidance on profits generated as the EU operate corporation tax on tonnage not profits. So
P & O, operating from the UK to the EU will pay tax to the EU not the country they operate in. Typical big business moves regardless of what party is in government.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

How do you know that Britain won’t benefit from it over the next 20+ years, I for sure don’t?

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Your Brexit Guru Mogg did say it could be up to fifty years before there is any foreseeable benefit so HIC is being overly optimistic don't you think?

Jim
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Where have I said that I have a "Brexit Guru"? And defending HiC is pretty much par for the course for you but maybe like HiC you can predict the future 20+ years ahead, the rest of us mere mortals can't! :lol:

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

You don't need a crystal ball to see which way things are going; you don't have answers so you jump on individual words or sentences to try and ridicule comments rather than put up a robust argument. 800 billion was moved out of the UK yesterday by banks to the EU and over £50000 paid to simulate a traffic jam which most commentators agree was a pointless exercise. Grayling on TV trying to defend giving a shipping contract to a group of Tory backers who have no ships.
Whether Mogg is your Guru or not is immaterial, he is a leading light in the Brexit camp which you appear to support and he stated up to fifty years and even the most ardent leavers agree it's not going to be a five minute fix.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

This is what it's all about, pigs a the trough.
Jim

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

P&O and now Dyson, arch Brexiteer moving his headquarters to Singapore who just happen to have signed a free trade agreement with the EU; you couldn't make it up.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I did hear the BBC spin on Dyson this morning, several other news outlets had a different take on it.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ?CMP=fb_gu

More Project Fear; oh no it's not it's for real.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Everyone's very quiet about Nissan.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

On Sky this morning it stated that workers had already been laid off in preparation for retooling of the production line for the New X Trail. They were supposedly to be re-employed when production started but it looks like their layoff is permanent. Brexit is part of the problem and it will be the end of the world for those laid off as the chance of getting another job is next to zero.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Good news at last. Oh!!! Wait a minute.

Jim

https://theconversation.com/eu-japan-tr ... one-110729