EU Travel Post Brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

EU Travel Post Brexit

Post by Dominic »

Britons will have to pay €7 (£6.30) every three years to travel to EU countries, as a consequence of Brexit.

The European Commission has confirmed that while UK travellers will not need a visa, they will need to apply for and buy another document.

It is called an ETIAS (European Travel Information and Authorisation System) and although not launched yet, is expected to come into force in 2021.

The travel requirement is not just for the UK but for many non-EU countries.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-46564884
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
smudger

Re: EU Travel Post Brexit

Post by smudger »

Well after all the pre Brexit hype about visas etc this is a breath of fresh air, no problem at all.
Mike.1940

Post by Mike.1940 »

Well worth the money to enable us to get out of the European community as it has become a huge cash cow and we in the UK are the ones that have to pay. Now to get rid of the overseas help we dish out each year and then we will all be happy.
robf

Post by robf »

I find it surprising that we spend more supporting the good Friday agreement than our entire contribution to the EU. One of the surprising facts that have been unveiled during the Brexit negotiations :(.
smudger

Post by smudger »

And if a second referendum comes, what will be the outcome if the result is the same, as is predicted, to LEAVE!!

Back to square one methinks.

Second referendum will be total waste of bureaucratic, people and parliamentary time!
June

Post by June »

smudger wrote: And if a second referendum comes, what will be the outcome if the result is the same, as is predicted, to LEAVE!!

Back to square one methinks.

Second referendum will be total waste of bureaucratic, people and parliamentary time!
If that were to happen and once again a leave vote won then it might concentrate the minds (MPs and the EU) who have been hiding behind the apparent idea that those who voted to leave didn't know what they were voting for?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think we should have a referendum to see whether we want another referendum. On the same ballot paper, have the referendum itself, where you say yay or nay to leaving the EU.

If the result of the referendum to have another referendum is YES, then we count up the other vote. If it is NO, we don't.

Nobody could say that it was undemocratic then.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:05 pm I think we should have a referendum to see whether we want another referendum. On the same ballot paper, have the referendum itself, where you say yay or nay to leaving the EU.

If the result of the referendum to have another referendum is YES, then we count up the other vote. If it is NO, we don't.

Nobody could say that it was undemocratic then.
Would you like to have a forum vote on that :?
J B

Post by J B »

Dominic wrote: Sat Dec 15, 2018 11:05 pm I think we should have a referendum to see whether we want another referendum.
Ian Hislop was on BBC R2 last week - he said that there had been a poll to see if the country was divided by brexit .... ½ said it was and the other ½ said it wasn't.

:lol:
J B
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I haven’t seen ANY indication that people still support leaving. I predict a second vote, if the media PROPERLY report fasts, would be more than 60% to stay,

Predictions of nearly one million jobs and £1600 per head per year to leave is a heavy cost.
Alewfin

Post by Alewfin »

There is no need for a second referendum.

Thanks to the ECJ, Mrs May can send an email to the EU cancelling Brexit without any loss of the UK's special concessions from the EU.

The downside to this is that Farage still has a job.

The only reason for a second referendum is to absolve all politicians in Parliament of any blame for initiating a vote, the muddled negotiations and the subsequent stalemate in Parliament. The people will be to blame.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:50 am
Jimgward wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 12:37 amI haven’t seen ANY indication that people still support leaving. I predict a second vote, if the media PROPERLY report fasts, would be more than 60% to stay
If, as recent polls suggest, the overwhelming majority now wish to remain in the EU, then the charade/travelling circus can be stopped dead in it's tracks. GBP would soar, inflation would be put on hold and inward investment in business would resume. Sanity would prevail once more.
What recent polls were they? Last I saw it was 52% for remain, which is hardly overwhelming.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Dec 16, 2018 5:31 pm

Unless my maths is wrong that's 54% in favour of remain and 46% for leaving, hardly an overwhelming example is it? I saw a Cyprus Mail article last week where they said it was too close to call!

Shane
tonee

Post by tonee »

These "polls" amuse me.How on earth can the You gov poll represent the views of the UK on...1,671 people.The second poll by Sky...1,488 "viewers".All it represents is the result of those people polled.
And which areas of the UK did the polls take place?Worthless.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

AA

But would all those who favour the PMs deal support a hard Brexit if there was a vote eithér to leave or remain, surely some of the 14% would vote remain and no doubt some would abstain rather than go for a no deal Brexit. As is well known, many Leavers don't want a hard Brexit.

Jim
josef k

Post by josef k »

Lets face it, with regard to how many want to leave/stay, it's all guesswork at the moment. We just don't know.

However, we do know a lot more about the implications (positive and negative) of a Brexit, which wasn't available last time people voted. We also know the nature of the agreement whereby the UK leaves. So things have evolved, and it seems right and proper to check that the people still want to go ahead and leave, knowing what they now know. That is true democracy and also common sense.