Vote of no confidence

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
smudger

Vote of no confidence

Post by smudger »

Regardless of political proclivities this has to be the most ill-timed move in the history of politics. Parliament in general and the Conservative party in particular need to act collectively now for the good of the country as a whole, rather than be polishing their own precious egos.
William Morris

Re: Vote of no confidence

Post by William Morris »

The silence is quite deafening.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I think people are waiting for the other shoe to drop.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Varky

Post by Varky »

If she brought back anything, she was not about to reveal it, even at PMQ's. Time to wave goodbye Sooty.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

It appears nothing has changed over the deal. She will win the vote and the ones against her likely knew that all along.

This may be part of the destruction of any deal by the ERG to force a no-deal situation.

I actually think the erg expect chaos and will use that to their own selfish means.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Can't help feeling that the final outcome has already been decided in some dusty corridor somewhere and we are all just watching a series of performances.
smudger

Post by smudger »

My money's on May. The rest are just st a shower of hangers on. Good luck Theresa, the alternative is so unpalatable. Let alone unworkable!
PolemIan

Post by PolemIan »

Well at least if she wins , Sir Graham will have a more peaceful Christmas with his family rather than messing about organising another leadership election.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

smudger wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:26 pm My money's on May. The rest are just st a shower of hangers on. Good luck Theresa, the alternative is so unpalatable. Let alone unworkable!
I would go along with that. I certainly would prefer May to any of the others.
outasite

Post by outasite »

Dominic wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 6:31 pm Can't help feeling that the final outcome has already been decided in some dusty corridor somewhere and we are all just watching a series of performances.
Agree with that. I am forming the opinion that the only reason she made PM was because it will fall on her head if her plans fail and in will come a new leader to "pick up the pieces and get the glory". She was allowed to win.
Did you possibly hear Ian Duncan Smith this morning? Basically he said that she agreed to the £39 billion and the back stop at the get go and all the rest has been waffle basically.
Of course, the other scenario is she actually has no intention of leaving and all this pantomime is a cover up to finally advise we can't leave for one reason or another. I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.
I guess it will all come out in the wash.
Ho hum.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:46 pm
smudger wrote: Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:26 pm My money's on May. The rest are just st a shower of hangers on. Good luck Theresa, the alternative is so unpalatable. Let alone unworkable!
I would go along with that. I certainly would prefer May to any of the others.
Unfortunately I think she will win, but a lot depends on by how much. What about Dominic Raab?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Well she won comfortably. Not a resounding show of support but she can at least get on with Brexit again now.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

So, she survived but Mogg makes me laugh.
I don't like him but I love the way he calls a spade a shovel....
He reckons TM should take herself off to see the Queen and resign.
It doesn't come much plainer than that.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So, he's happy with a 52:48 majority but doesn't like her 63:37 majority?
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

The Referendum was run on the basis that one vote more by either side made that side the winner. A parliamentary party, to be effective, needs a rather larger share than May got.
How effective could a cricket team be if four of the players were batting for the other side. [sorry!].
The problem is that our elected representatives in Parliament, in their undoubted wisdom, feel compelled to reverse the democratic vote of the electorate in the Referendum.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That's because neither the representatives nor the electorate had really thought it through. Had there been a cohesive plan for leaving prior to the referendum then this mess wouldn't have happened. Clearly though, there was no plan whatsoever. The chief instigators ran a mile once the Brexit vote was in, leaving it to the people who didn't really want Brexit to pick up the pieces.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Thanks for explaining it so succinctly Dominic- I really had no idea!
Varky

Post by Varky »

People say that no-one would want the job, but don't ask the question why.

The situation is that TM has played her cards so close to her chest that no-one knew what was being discussed. Then at the last moment she came forward with an exit agreement that no majority in parliament could support, saying that it was the only deal on the table that would be accepted by the EU. So due to her obstinacy in not publishing what definitive progress had been made in the past and which could be commented upon, she has repeated her 'red lines' (That she has now crossed) and spouted platitudes that she expected a dumb populace to swallow. She has now driven us up a cul-de-sac.

If there is anyone to blame for the present situation it is TM and she is achieving her remain vote by the back door.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

I'll sum it up in four words: 'she is a politician'
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

I have no interest what so ever on the Brexit argument as I have no intention of going back to live in the UK But, Why does this second vote keep appearing? Oh, by the way, I can't stand that poisoned dwarf !! ( Sturgeon).
They have already had a vote & the majority voted to leave. So get on with it. And after what I seen on the news last night about the way the UK PM is being treated then the UK should just walk away & leave them to it.