May to delay Brexit vote?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Reesy

May to delay Brexit vote?

Post by Reesy »

It is rumoured that May is going to delay the Brexit vote scheduled for tomorrow. The sooner we get rid of this idiot the better. Watching the Andrew Marr show yesterday the Brexit minister said without doubt the vote will definitely go ahead on Tuesday..So it is obvious he hasn’t a clue what is going on..The pound will soon have parity with the Euro... which is 40% down on a couple of years ago...I can only assume the people who voted to leave did not understand the question...
tonee

Re: May to delay Brexit vote?

Post by tonee »

"The sooner we get rid of this idioot the better" And who do you suggest to replace her??She will be making a statement in the commons at 17.30,our time.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

How about another idiot, there are plenty waiting in the wings? :|

Shane
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

How arrogant Reesy. I understood the question perfectly and I voted to leave.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

RattyPatty wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:29 pm How arrogant Reesy. I understood the question perfectly and I voted to leave.
But did you expect a develauation of the Pound, a Huge influence on GDP, a cost estimated at £1600 per head per year, delays on shipments, price rises on most goods and more.....?
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

Ratty Patty..Arrogant!..more like honest..I believe many people who voted to leave would change their vote given the chance. What they voted for is nothing like they are likely to get...
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Watching the BBC news this morning with the interviews in the feature at Holyhead which is the major port for traffic between the UK & Ireland, I don't think that is necessarily the case Reesy! In fact, I think another vote, if it should happen, will be a lot closer than the Remain camp think! Dominic, I think this thread should be moved to the Political forum sooner rather than later but that's just my opinion?

Shane
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

Reesy what the people who voted leave wanted was to leave. Just that. I didn't expect the negotiations to be a walk in the park and there is absolutely no doubt that they have been handled abysmally. But only to be expected when a Remainer was put in charge.But the way the EU have behaved in these negotiations confirm my belief that we should leave. Just because you believe that leavers didn't understand the question or many people would change there vote doesn't make so.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Whether people change their minds in the event of a referendum is debatable either way. But a lot of people who voted to leave voted on false information given at that time. Security issues and control over immigration were a key issue for many voters. But many must have come to realise that Brexit or no, the UK will never be able to fully control illegal immigration though enforcing stricter immigration and import formalities at the main ports and the channel tunnel is likely to create chaos for both passengers and goods which will lead to delays in Imports reaching the shops and also increases of prices to consumers. Restricting immigration to the country will lead to severe shortages of medical staff for example and lead to insufficient numbers of agricultural workers like fruit pickers.
At the end of the day an unplanned Brexit is likely to injure the UK and cause increases in the cost of living.
Dee
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

PS. I hope this post will stay on the Gen Discussion page as it is of national importance to us all. It is also very interesting to those British expats resident in EU countries now.
Those who don’t want to read it can easily ignore it.

Dee
LouiseCastricum

Post by LouiseCastricum »

Lloyd, they talk about half of the voters, but there are also a lot of people who didn't vote.............. ;-)
Louise :)
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Anyone wanting to remain after the way we have been treat in these negotiations wants their head looking at. What should happen now is to say Stuff the lot of you and walk away with no deal – I agree it could well be difficult for some time but I am sure we will pull around and that has to be worth the suffering just to get away from the Euro Parasites – I also believe it would be the start of bringing the EU into a state of collapse as it seems that many other countries are waiting to see what happens with the UK first. The EU is now like a massive dictatorship where ordinary people have no say and just have to put up with whatever is stated. Its time to put the Great back in Britain and I think a No Deal would hurt the EU more than it would hurt the UK in the long run as we would be able to negotiate our own worldwide trade deals without any ties from big brother and we should all have faith in our capabilities. The original vote was to leave regardless of the consequences and that decision should stand regardless of what the consequences are likely to be.
El tel

Post by El tel »

If the conservative government had put a figure of say 55% in favour at the referendum we would not be in the mess we are in. A figure of 55% could be justified on the basis of the significance and importance of the decision.

Terry
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:06 pm More recent polls suggest that the majority of people now want to stay in the EU. They came, they saw...they didn't like what they saw ;)
Or they simply died:

Brits would vote to Remain in any second referendum because many elderly Brexit supporters have died, former Deputy PM Lord Heseltine has claimed.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

TransAm, they reckon it takes 6 - 8 years to do a trade deal..... If using the WTO, they reckon it’s like the 4th division of trade deals..... much worse than what we enjoy with the EU, WITH frictionless trade with nearly half the countries in the world.

As to the EU being a dictatorship, the UK has been behind more policies than any other member. We have also contributed massively. The EU is not without fault, but I see no better within the UK.....
Reesy

Post by Reesy »

In reality anyone receiving a U.K.pension and voted to leave...gave themselves a 30% wage cut...also there is no problem having a second vote , because things change. Parliament voted many times to ablolish capital punishment until they got the result they wanted...
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Jimgward

I agree with your comment on the WTO but this is another organisation that drastically needs a revamp or swerving around altogether and yes we have frictionless trade with the EU but at a cost as we are forever paying for this luxury through other means
The fact is we were trading worldwide before we joined the EU and I am sure it can be done again. We have been told who we can and cannot deal with by the EU and this cannot be right – Some of the most ridiculous things came out of being part of the EU – Like not being able to sell carrots unless they are straight – We used to grow all kinds of vegetables and now there are thousands of acres of land growing nothing but grass – In my own line of work we are governed by CE regulations which on many occasions lead you round in circles and back to where you started because they are incomplete and never will be as there is no logical answer to many of the EU acts.
The latest consensus on the News just now is that we are heading for a No Deal situation and I really hope we get it and I believe that will frighten the life out of the EU as that is the last thing they want but would give us the chance to start with a blank canvass.
71 Trans Am

Post by 71 Trans Am »

Reesy

In reality anyone receiving a U.K.pension and voted to leave...gave themselves a 30% wage cut...also there is no problem having a second vote , because things change. Parliament voted many times to ablolish capital punishment until they got the result they wanted...

This was supposed to be a democratic vote – NOT a parliamentary vote and you can’t just keep voting until you get what you want or where is the Democracy

And when you moved out to Cyprus I would imagine that you gave your income and ability to survive a lot of thought before making that decision – So would have taken into account facts like your money can go up or down drastically depending on exchange rates and other factors – I myself intend to move out there at some point but at the moment this is a British decision not a Cypriot one and how it will affect anyone’s income in Cyprus was probably never considered at the time of the vote the same as it will not have been considered how it will effect UK income – The majority won because people are just sick and want out regardless of how it will hurt.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

71 Trans Am wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:49 pm Jimgward

I agree with your comment on the WTO but this is another organisation that drastically needs a revamp or swerving around altogether and yes we have frictionless trade with the EU but at a cost as we are forever paying for this luxury through other means
The fact is we were trading worldwide before we joined the EU and I am sure it can be done again. We have been told who we can and cannot deal with by the EU and this cannot be right – Some of the most ridiculous things came out of being part of the EU – Like not being able to sell carrots unless they are straight – We used to grow all kinds of vegetables and now there are thousands of acres of land growing nothing but grass – In my own line of work we are governed by CE regulations which on many occasions lead you round in circles and back to where you started because they are incomplete and never will be as there is no logical answer to many of the EU acts.
The latest consensus on the News just now is that we are heading for a No Deal situation and I really hope we get it and I believe that will frighten the life out of the EU as that is the last thing they want but would give us the chance to start with a blank canvass.
I’ll deal with your points in turn as they need addressed;

We need to apply to join the WTO and change it? Yeah, in many years maybe a little....
Paying for trade with EU? we trade with 27 other countries, plus around 60 others. It costs us less than .4% of GDP for this... Brexit has cost ius upwards of 5% of GDP already (12 years worth of Eu payments) and this will continue....
Show me the carrots, cucumber or banana laws please? I’ll tell you now, it’s rubbish perpetrated by the Mail and Sun....
The fact we dont grow food is not the fault of the Eu but rather our choices as consumers of price over quality with stores like Tescos who can buy so cheaply because of the EU.
CE regulations protect us for quality....
You obviously quote the Mail or Sun for these ‘acts’ - please give me examples? I actually posted a few weeks ago, about the fallacy of these acts....
A blank canvas? For what.... No deals, no common laws, no sharing, no immigration at all, no access to common work - as Universties, Research Institutes and more rely on. You are also advocating a situation that would likely devastate our NHS, cause problems in Ireland, lead to mass unemployment, cause price rises and a deep recession....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Lofos-5 wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 9:07 pm
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:06 pm More recent polls suggest that the majority of people now want to stay in the EU. They came, they saw...they didn't like what they saw ;)
Or they simply died:

Brits would vote to Remain in any second referendum because many elderly Brexit supporters have died, former Deputy PM Lord Heseltine has claimed.
And surely the democratic will of the living should trump the democratic will of the dead?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.