Brexit: Facts vs. Fear, with Stephen Fry

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
kingfisher

Re: Brexit: Facts vs. Fear, with Stephen Fry

Post by kingfisher »

Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

So I endured the 10 minutes of the massively right-wing Pat Condell eloquently talking about how Brexit has divided the country and how the democratic vote should be respected because "we won and you didn't" and how he thinks everyone who voted Remain thinks that everyone who voted Leave are "stupid, ignorant, xenophobic, racist, bigoted morons", and various other massive generalisations, but there wasn't one single fact in his diatribe. Hardly a reasonable comparison or rebuttal?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Is there a reasonable comparison or rebuttal?

Incidentally Oxfordboy, thank you for taking one for the team and watching it so that I didn't have to.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Thanks Oxford Boy
Gave up listening to his rants years ago.
Below is a link to 3 blokes in a pub. Well worth a listen.

kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Well, well, I return from walking the dog and “Team Remain” have stormed into a four one lead! Perhaps I am the last standing “far right Leaver”!
The Pat Condell youtube was obviously not intended as a rebuttal to the facts and figures of Stephen Fry’s offering, which I actually watched yesterday. Rather, it was a reaction to the first line of Lloyd’s OP where he says “Gosh how the great British public were taken in..”
It is the implication that 17.4 million of the UK- myself included- are frankly daft which I find offensive.
Oh, and the fact Condell is so irritating to you lot speaks volumes!
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I am sure Hudswell will have something to say in about a week's time. :)
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Useless arts degrees he says, what a soulless world we would live in with out art, what would the design of our buildings to cars to clothes to the humble crisp packet be like, including the great British music and film industry, what unemployable idiot designed that morons shirt?
David
Oxfordboy

Post by Oxfordboy »

kingfisher wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:44 am Well, well, I return from walking the dog and “Team Remain” have stormed into a four one lead! Perhaps I am the last standing “far right Leaver”!
The Pat Condell youtube was obviously not intended as a rebuttal to the facts and figures of Stephen Fry’s offering, which I actually watched yesterday. Rather, it was a reaction to the first line of Lloyd’s OP where he says “Gosh how the great British public were taken in..”
It is the implication that 17.4 million of the UK- myself included- are frankly daft which I find offensive.
For the record, I'm not in a team. I wasn't allowed to vote, I'm my own person and I make my own judgments, usually based on facts rather than other people's opinions. Being taken in by lies doesn't imply stupidity either, any more than my opinion that Pat Condell is a supercilious condescending tw*t speaks volumes about anything - other than the fact it's my opinion.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Stephen Fry's video was packed with facts and figures, and demolished a number of myths, misunderstandings, and downright lies. It gave a clearer view of the whole Brexit debate and, yes, I am a remainer so it fitted my views.
I hadn't heard of Pat Condell, so I watched his video from start to finish. It seemed to be less about Brexit and more of an attack on the educational system (teachers brainwashing pupils, degrees being useless etc). He also took a pop at "the elite" and "the privileged". As that includes Jacob Rees-Mogg and Boris Johnson (both multi millionaires from a privileged background) I was left a bit confused. However, the main bulk of his video was complaining that people have said nasty things about brexiteers. I think the insults have been going in both directions, so it's a bit rich to complain. Just a shame he didn't provide anything to support brexit.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Uncle D wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:55 am Useless arts degrees he says, what a soulless world we would live in with out art, what would the design of our buildings to cars to clothes to the humble crisp packet be like, including the great British music and film industry, what unemployable idiot designed that morons shirt?
Indeed, and if art is so unimportant, why is it that the golden record sent out with the Voyager satellites were packed with music and images?

Shakespeare will outlive Sony.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

kingfisher wrote: Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:44 am Well, well, I return from walking the dog and “Team Remain” have stormed into a four one lead! Perhaps I am the last standing “far right Leaver”!
No, it doesn’t spoeak volumes - the man is a moron. Talking moronic drivel and making no argument - spending his time castigating and making no other point. It actually speaks volumes about you for saying such a thing!

Fry (who I dodn’t Like normally) at least places facts, figures and arguments and doesn’t slag off any Brexiteers, only the chief porotagonists of lies, lies and more lies.....