Anastasiades says decentralised powers create feeling of security for T/C

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Anastasiades says decentralised powers create feeling of security for T/C

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:36 am Not impossible at all..there is some evidence that suggests that British forces "interrogated" EOKA terrorists to excess, I would never deny that. Your problem is, like many "Old School" Cypriots will always blame the "big boy threat ran away", sorry but the situation we are in now is down to one and only one participant in this tragedy, the Greeks, Cypriot or otherwise...Again, Turkey did what they were entitled to do, and with just reason...they should have left, they didn't..which brings shame on them. This station will only be solved by future generations, those that are felt the hatred or felt the need to victimise and terrorise a minority of their countrymen.
That is complete tosh. You would also do well to remember where you live, and that you are a guest here.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You are the one ignoring history Hudswell. Blatantly.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Turkey will not permit the Turkish Cypriots any say in their future. Faults occurred on all sides to cause this but turkeys continued invasion and seeding of Turkish citizens to outnumber the TCs is proof that they will never cede the island to its own course and indeed will never hand over total control.
Britain and the US and Greece could have prevented this whole fiasco and could also have forced turkey to realign. The EU and UN could also do more - as could NATO in it’s position with Turkey
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:38 pm
Dominic wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:08 pm You are the one ignoring history Hudswell. Blatantly.
Dominic, then take a balanced view, read documentation, official reports, books, unofficial reports...from all sides..I did, it's a bit of an hobby of mine, small wars...And look back before the EOKA campaign, look back even before both world wars...take a look at the historical background, the 1950 Enosis vote where only Greek Cypriots were allowed to vote and each vote had to be registered with the church...openly..and those that dared to vote against it were "put to rights". Understand the reasons behind the troubles in the early 1960's, the complicity of Makarios, which eventually backfired against him...history Dominic...lessons learnt, then perhaps,come back with a reasoned and informed argument, always willing to listen.
Nobody is saying the Greek Cypriots are blameless. But you are saying that they are the only ones to blame. they aren't.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

At the end of the day, Anastasiades has to sell any solution to the electorate and at the moment this seems a million miles away because the GC's don't feel they have anything to gain IMO!

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:06 pm At the end of the day, Anastasiades has to sell any solution to the electorate and at the moment this seems a million miles away because the GC's don't feel they have anything to gain IMO!

Shane
I would disagree. I know lots of GCs who want nothing more than a united island.
WHL

Post by WHL »

ApusApus wrote: Sat Nov 10, 2018 10:06 pm At the end of the day, Anastasiades has to sell any solution to the electorate and at the moment this seems a million miles away because the GC's don't feel they have anything to gain IMO!

Shane
Don’t agree, if a fair balanced solution is put on the table, I’m sure the majority will grasp it with both hands, a fair solution to me would be one, where both Greece and Turkey have absolutely no further say on what happens in Cyprus.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I think both of you might be surprised at the amount of support for maintaining the status quo but then maybe we move in different social circles! And WHL, I agree this island would be far better off if Greece & Turkey were out of the equation but can you see that happening?

Shane
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

My opinion is that the Turkish government don't want a settlement and are prsently happy with the status quo. In 1974 they grabbed as much of the island as they dared and would have grabbed all of it if they believed they would have got away with it. They believe Cyprus is theirs and it was stolen from them by the British just as they believe many of the Greek islands are theirs as well.

Jim