Racist Britain

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Racist Britain

Post by Dominic »

It isn't actually, I'm afraid. It's unfair to brand these idiots as Brexiters. That is as accurate as calling them English. However, they did see the vote as an affirmation of their beliefs.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PhotoLady wrote: Mon Oct 29, 2018 9:31 pm Too many listened to Farage about getting rid of immigrants with the Brexit vote and seem to think it's perfectly fine to spout racist comments at people who may have a different skin colour to theirs or speak with an accent, no matter where they were born or what they contribute to society.
The rest of them are all Tommy Robinson fans - he uses a plain old name because his other one would be far too posh for the numpties to take note of what he says.
According to this, his birth name was Stephen Yaxley. That isn't exactly posh.

https://metro.co.uk/2018/08/01/tommy-ro ... n-7786799/

One thing I don't understand about his situation, is why the authorities cannot pursue Islamic Extremists as much as they do him? He gave a talk at the Oxford University which is interesting, if uncomfortable viewing:

And this is the Q and A session afterwards:

PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That isn't the surname he was born with though. He added the "Lennon" later, as it was his father's surname. I don't know why either, but, according to the article I posted, he was born Stephen Yaxley.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

No one I can see posted that Bexit was the sole domain of White males; many people from Ethnic Minority groups voted for Brexit and here's a link giving some of the reasons why.

https://www.politico.eu/article/immigra ... migration/

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell
Again; no one is attributing "ALL" racist incidents to Brexit, we are stating that there has been a rise in incidents since the referendum which all the information available bears out.
Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

So we all finally agree; there was a rise in hate crimes after the referendum. Well that's not bad, only took a week this time.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I know even Irish people in London, being abused verbally since the referendum. Brexit gave an excuse to those who wanted to find one.... the ultra-right-wing and the dafties. Farage fed some of them, along with others. It doesnt mean brexiteers are racists per se..... but it attracts racists. Some of my better-half’s relations who are UKIP supporters, voted brexit for mainly racist reasons, to get rid of immigrants. One wont even have an Asian Doctor! he wouldn’t have said that pre-Brexit - as I’ve asked....
WHL

Post by WHL »

Saw this today, got to laugh.... :lol:

They're Stealing OUR Jobs..... Yes Gary, with your single GCSE and your three teeth, Khalid the neurosurgeon stole your job....
boycott

Post by boycott »

To add some confusion to the racist debate, how about a white man self identifying himself as black!

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/1 ... ce-scheme/
A white theatre director, who describes himself as an "African born again", has come under fire, after securing public funding intended to help ethnic minorities develop their stage careers.
Anthony Lennon, 53, who was born in London and whose parents are Irish, won a place on a two year Arts Council funded scheme, after a leading black theatre company accepted his claim to be of "mixed heritage".
He was one of four "theatre practitioners of colour", to be awarded part of a £400,000 talent development grant.
But Mr Lennon has been accused of being a "racial imposter" after it emerged that despite changing his name to Taharka Ekundayo at one point, he is unquestionably white.
The company involved, Talawa, which is one of the country's leading black theatre groups, last night defended its position, insisting Mr Lennon was an "exceptional" person for the role.
In a statement, a Talawa spokesman said: "As an artist of mixed heritage he is not only eligible for the position, but his experience, work and achievements make him an exceptional person for the role.”
But Trevor Phillips, the former chair of the Commission for Racial Equality, said allowing people to self-identify on matters of race, inevitably meant members of the black Asian and ethnic minority (Bame) community lost out.
Mr Lennon was born in Paddington, west London in 1965 to Irish parents who emigrated to Britain in the 1950s,

His father, Patrick, was born in Waterford, while his mother Josephine O'Brien was raised in Tralee.
He had two brothers and despite their White Irish heritage they all had dark complexions and curly hair.
Writing about his experiences as a child, in the racially tense London of the late 1960s, Mr Lennon claimed he was regularly subjected to misdirected racist abuse, and as a result began to identify with black culture.
After launching his career as an actor, Mr Lennon said he struggled to get parts for white characters and had more success landing black roles.
In the book, Photo ID, he argued: "Everybody on the planet is African. It's your choice as to whether you accept it."
He later wrote: "Some people call themselves a born-again Christian. Some people call me a born-again African. I prefer to call myself an African born again."
He has also talked about going through the "struggles of a black actor".
But he has at times also acknowledged his true ethnic heritage, telling a BBC documentary in 1990: "My parents are white, and so are their parents, and so are their parents, and so are their parents."
There is no suggestion Mr Lennon tried to mislead anyone is applying for a place on the Arts Council funded two year Artistic Director Leadership Programme.

A spokesman for the Arts Council said: "Talawa raised their wish to support Anthony with us. In responding we took into account the law in relation to race and ethnicity.

"This is a very unusual case and we do not think it undermines the support we provide to black and minority ethnic people within the theatre sector."
But critics have blasted the decision, accusing Mr Lennon of taking up a position that should have gone to someone from the Bame community.
Trevor Phillips said: "Institutions are so desperate these days to show how inclusive they are on issues of self-identification that I'm afraid I saw something like this coming.
"The problem is of course that the people who lose out are the minorities. White liberals are so desperate to show how lovely they are to minorities that they do things that end up causing more harm.
"We should be doing more to help individuals of talent from black and ethnic minority communities and we cannot do that if the few opportunities that exist are going to white people who are self identifying as something else.
Habeeb Akande, a writer on race issues, said: "Many of us are becoming sick and tired of racial imposters who are commodifying blackness for their own financial gain. You cannot wear the cloak of blackness when it suits you."
Mr Lennon could not be contacted for comment.