Its All Kicking Off In Italy

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Varky

Re: Its All Kicking Off In Italy

Post by Varky »

A lot of those EU member states that are members of NATO do not even achieve the recommended 2% of GDP in defence spending, preferring to piggy-back on those states that do. Therefore I cannot see the likelihood of those states being supporters of an EU based army. And if it is not supported by all EU members then it cannot be a true 'EU' army as foreseen by Macron/Merkel.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I see you're copy and pasting what I actually wrote Hudswell about aspirations; I believe it's you who should keep up. As said the UK can't be forced into joining a European Army and hasn't signed up to do so; Italy on the other hand signed an agreement to keep within certain budgetary boundaries and are now trying to break that agreement, that is the whole crux of the matter. As I said, do keep up.
Jim
living the dream

Post by living the dream »

Regardless that Italy signed up to agreements they have simply had enough of the budgetary controls imposed by the EU, the Italians have decided that 10 years is enough, they do not see and have not been given any indications as to when the EU budgets and fiscal policies will get any better for the Italian economy so they are now prepared to force the issue. "Support us or we go with our own budget". Agreements or not I cannot see Italy backing down.

As far as an EU Army goes are Macron and Merkel on drugs !! at a time when the rest of the EU member states are looking at increased budgets that many of the smaller countries struggle with already not to mention the Med Countries, do they really believe that now is the best time to be proposing an EU Army. Perhaps the EU has stockpiled some of the Trillions it has taken over the last 40 years from member states to fund the EU Army, but given Brussels has never produced any accounts to show where this money has gone then who knows. The one thing I know for certain is there are far more important issues at stake than an EU Army.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

I think Italy, like most European countries, originally signed up to a different European Union than the one that is morphing into the centralist controlled state of today …………………… and you quote a quasi-communist regime in Italy! :lol:

On that basis, why wouldn't Italy or other EU countries want to change the terms of their agreement when the "goalposts have moved" or choose to leave the "club" like the UK?

But ask yourself a simple question HiC, do you want your children and grandchildren for that matter, to grow up in a "Union" where they have no say in how it is governed because that is where your glorious EU is destined :?:

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Yes it is terrible having to abide by the rules you helped decide. Shocking.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Of course Italy has more than one option but it's now chosen the most sensible and pragmatic line to take.
Italy can do whatever it likes but it appears it's decided which side its bread is buttered.

Jim
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell
So basically if you sign an agreement it's not worth the paper it's written on?
Agreements and sticking to them is what makes the world go round. Act the way you propose and we would have anarchy. Italy unilaterally decided on a course of action and it was pointed out they had signed an agreement; if they want to change that agreement they would have to renegotiate it or withdraw ( no one is stopping them) but decided to accept the conditions they had already agreed to.
Jim
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:11 am
Dominic wrote: Tue Nov 27, 2018 10:37 pm Yes it is terrible having to abide by the rules you helped decide. Shocking.
What a truly silly comment, So we all just bend the knee, step into line..because the "centre" says so? I truely hope there is a negotiated solution to Italy's woes....but just because "Brusssels" doesn't like your plan doesn't make it any less beneficial to your country. Italy is a sovereign state...yes it's money management has always been pretty woeful but that doesn't mean it has to cow tail to Brussels.
Are you actively trying to get banned?
jeba

Post by jeba »

Hudswell wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 9:11 amItaly is a sovereign state...yes it's money management has always been pretty woeful but that doesn't mean it has to cow tail to Brussels.
However, it also doesn´t mean it can ignore contracts it has entered into.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

And these are not rules about bent cucumbers - Germany was the FIRST to break deficit rules which applied to all 19 Eurozone countries, in 2003!
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Reading the articles it appears that the EU IS taking action against Germany on 74 non compliance issues so hardly a case of Germany getting away with anything. Most countries in the EU do it, you just have look at Cyprus and even the UK where it's cheaper to pay the fine than comply. In Cyprus it's car imports and use of fuel oil at the power stations so hardly earth shattering news.

Jim
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Yannis Varoufakis, the former Greek FinMin tells you in six minutes all you need to know about how the Eurogroup achieves it's objectives.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Opps ……………… all hail the EU then!

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

No rule against that. In fact, here is the link to the book, complete with an affiliate tag. Kerching!

https://amzn.to/2Q489GN

Not sure why Greece's former Finance Minister should be considered a financial guru, but hey ho.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

If the EU is so bad then why didn't Greece leave; just walk away? Greece has always been a financial Basket case as far as I'm aware. You could ask the same question of Ireland , Portugal, Spain and Cyprus; maybe it's because they get more out of it than they put in.
My daughter just got her Masters at 22 and is now starting her PhD (Still 22); experience of life; zero.

Jim
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Ireland has a far greater gdp per head, than the UK.

A gold-lines basket-case methinks
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Yannis Varoufakis- "The euro has never been more problematic" Oxford Union talk with Q+A. About two weeks ago.
Many fascinating insights from the speaker's personal experiences, and very pertinent to this thread.
Worth watching.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

Merry Christmas to you, Lloyd, and happy New Year.
Perhaps if you watched the talk, you might actually learn something new! Don't worry- he is an ardent Remainer!!! You're safe!
Jon.
jeba

Post by jeba »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:45 pm
Is there a currency which isn't problematic? Would you like to invest in USD right now? GBP?
According to what Varoufakis says in the above video it might be a good idea to have Euros but you must put them into a German bank account. Problem is you won´t get interest on it. That´s why I personally favour US stocks paying decent dividends (e. g. energy infrastructure companies and REITs).