The Brexit Special

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jimgward » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:00 pm


User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:31 pm

Not too shabby, lol :lol: :lol: Nonetheless lower than all EU countries.

Hands up all those who said the EU was doomed to fail; that the Euro was horribly overvalued and would similarly fail.

Doesn't matter which year you said it in over the past decade...you were spectacularly wrong. Where's McIngy when you want him? And Clive?

Jim B
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jim B » Thu Nov 08, 2018 9:10 pm

It appears a lot better in Euro World than it does in UK World.
I see Bombardier just announced 5,000 redundancies.

Jim

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:06 am

Just when you think the competency of those negotiating the UK's departure from the EU couldn't get any, er, less competent, Dominic Raab comes up with this blinder: https://news.sky.com/story/brexit-secre ... sf-twitter

Clearly he hasn't been reading the Political section of Paphos Life. I and Jim B and JimGWard have been making this very point for the past 18 months at least.

So it seems that not only do Brexiteers on this forum not 'get' the implications of a Hard Brexit, those in government haven't got a clue either.

Heaven help us all...the incompetence of government ministers shows no limits :shock:

Jim B
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jim B » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:37 am

Hudswell
I am quoting facts, there are 5,000 redundancies but it's how you interpret them, just like you're interpreting the UK employment facts to suit your argument. We've had this discussion before about massaging the figures and zero hour contracts; a bit like having the military sat at home off pay until we have a war but classing them as fully employed.
Jim

Termites Dream
Posts: 438
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 4:59 pm

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Termites Dream » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:48 am

Not forecasts....

chrome-extension://oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm/https://ec.europa.eu/eurostat/documents ... 71859d6f37

Jim B
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jim B » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:06 am

Oh come on
They don't have any choice, if they refuse their benefits are stopped, it's that simple. Not all of us had or have jobs for life.
As usual you were crowing about the failings of the EU; I made a point that more redundancies from Bombardier will affect the UK. YOU brought Brexit into this discussion, you interpreted it that way. In fact I made a point of not mentioning Brexit in my comments.

Here is a link to comments made by one of the leading ERG Members on the Today programme. Only took him two years to work it out. You can play it back on I Player



Jim

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jimgward » Fri Nov 09, 2018 2:27 pm

Hudswell, you would have to be blind to not acknowledge, that the current crew negotiating for the UK, are making a complete erse of this all. Dont blame the EU, we KNEW Ireland was a problem and not of the EUs making, May signed a deal with the dinasaurs of the DUP (oops, sorry, the DUP dont believe in dinasaurs) that prevents any other solution than remaining in customs union. This is going to be a sticking point for the cabinet.

When our chief negotiator doesnt realise that Dover is a problem.....

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jimgward » Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:04 pm

My random post is to fit into the Theme of “Brexit Special” - the thread itself.... since Bombardier has nothing to do with Brexit, why are you randomly commenting?

Jim B
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jim B » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:46 pm

Sorry, been out of it as the power has been off for over six hours due to lightning strike.
Again Hudswell you are assuming. As Bombardier only employ about 3500 in the UK it would be very difficult to lay off 5,000 there. As usual you were making out that the EU is all doom and gloom and I was just pointing out that it's no better in the UK as Bombardier is laying people off in the UK as well. I've noticed you totally ignore posts when you can't dissect them like you never said a word about the automotive parts company pulling out of the UK because of Brexit or about Raabs comments on Dover; you are very selective with your responses. How about Joe Johnson resigning as a transport minister over Brexit, any comments about that?
Jim

Jim B
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jim B » Fri Nov 09, 2018 8:01 pm

This what the UK has come to in the 21st century; every other country is going forward and the UK is going backwards to the nineteen forties and rationing.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-46127592

Jim

ApusApus
Posts: 2122
Joined: Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:54 am
Location: Kato Paphos

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by ApusApus » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Jim B wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:46 pm
Sorry, been out of it as the power has been off for over six hours due to lightning strike.
Jim
So thankfully there is a god! 😁


Shane

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jimgward » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:40 pm

Hudswell wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:30 pm
Jimgward wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 5:04 pm
My random post is to fit into the Theme of “Brexit Special” - the thread itself.... since Bombardier has nothing to do with Brexit, why are you randomly commenting?
Well perhaps,you need to have a chat with Jim B about that...because Bombadier has nothing to do,with BREXIT....but Jim felt he needed to point that out...on this Thread!. I was just putting him straight. And still at a loss why your previous post was directed at me, I don't believe any of my previous posts on this thread have questioned the "capability" of the negotiating teams.
Oh, so we can only refer “in theread” to your view on things?

You CONSTANTLY blame the EU and not the UK, for all breakdowns in communication. You only accept one side - the far-right - of any argument.

Jim B
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jim B » Sat Nov 10, 2018 7:42 am

ApusApus wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:40 pm
Jim B wrote:
Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:46 pm
Sorry, been out of it as the power has been off for over six hours due to lightning strike.
Jim
So thankfully there is a god! 😁


Shane
😁
Jim

Jim B
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jim B » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:02 am

Hudswell
I can name two plants, Plymouth and Reading that are on the list for possible redundancies; now where did I get them from? I didn't even know they had plants in those towns until I read it yesterday.
The point is that you keep trying to make out it's all fine in the UK and the EU is falling apart when in fact the opposite is closer to the mark.
For the life of me I can't understand why a person who purports to love the UK is quite happy to see it go down the road to ruin because you're miffed with the EU negotiations team simply because they are much better at it than our negotiations team.
You should read Joe Johnson's resignation letter, it may make you realise where the country is heading.

Jim

Jim B
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jim B » Sat Nov 10, 2018 12:40 pm

Again; I never mentioned Bombardier and Brexit in my post, you raised it. As I've said many times; any of us like JW , HIC, WHO or myself can raise 99 salient points which you totally ignore but home in on one (like Bombardier) which you try to use to disparage the other ninety nine.
Why should I support something I don't believe in, I believe it will be a total disaster for the UK but you think people like me should just support it anyway. What's happened in the negotiations would have happened anyway as the EU has certain principles it has stuck to from the beginning which is something sadly lacking on our side. You may find our posts boring but only because you have no answer to them; I only post the articles to show how ridiculous our position has become. We have become the laughing stock of the world, what a fall from grace.

Jim

Jim B
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jim B » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:09 pm

Did you get behind Tony Blair when he won in 97; did you support Labour when they were in power, I doubt it. You're a typical Leaver; blame anyone and everyone for what is an unmitigated disaster of your own making. Maybe you never voted but it's quite obvious where your loyalties lie.
The ERG have stated they are aware the ordinary people will be socially and financially worse off after a no deal Brexit though the ideology of leaving the EU is more important than the wellbeing of the citizens of the UK; what sort of people are you supporting and that you expect people like me to support as well.
No thanks.
Jim

User avatar
Jimgward
Posts: 2257
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 8:14 pm
Location: Lanark
Contact:

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jimgward » Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:14 pm

I have never posted anything negative about brexit with any glee. It appalls me, that we are heading over a precipice and so many appear not to see it. The car crash is blind even to our negotiators.

It is nothing to do with the country being split but 100% the fault of campaigners for brexit buggering off and offering no advice or support of the process and indeed undermining any attempts to find a rational solution.
The reality is that we foolishly believed the big old world would welcome Britannia with open arms and that trade would increase. We are jeopardising jobs, GDP, pensions, savings and more. We COULD end up much worse off for the rest of our lifetimes.

As I cannot see the benefits as nobody can offer me any, then I’ll do my little bit to try to ensure the brakes are in good condition.

As many have asked on here before. Please list for me 5 benefits of brexit.
Last edited by Jimgward on Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jim B
Posts: 1330
Joined: Wed Dec 28, 2016 5:42 am

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Jim B » Sat Nov 10, 2018 3:35 pm

Good post Jim W; like you I get no pleasure seeing the country I love heading for an unmitigated disaster. I see my daughter trying to sort her documentation out with money her and her Cypriot husband can ill afford. Applying for a Cypriot passport that costs hundreds of euros with money that would be better spent on her two daughters because she can't take the chance that nothing will change. We are all heading into unchartered territory and none of us know, even the High Commissioner what's around the corner.

Jim

User avatar
Happy in Cyprus
Posts: 4385
Joined: Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:08 am
Location: Ha Potami, Kouklia
Contact:

Re: The Brexit Special

Post by Happy in Cyprus » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:40 am

Jimgward wrote:
Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:14 pm
The reality is that we foolishly believed the big old world would welcome Britannia with open arms and that trade would increase.

Indeed. A year ago there were countless threads on Paphos Life detailing countries who were "just dying" to do business with the UK post-Brexit, among them America (ha! who can rely on Trump as a trading partner :lol: ), Australia, India, Africa, Canada, Japan and so on. At the time I poured scorn on these potential trading allies, asking what we could buy from and ship to these countries we weren't already doing to the existing market of 27 EU countries, right on our doorstep. As usual at the time my posts were derided as negative and 'glass half empty', yet there is nothing to date to suggest anything material will arise from these 'new found' trading partners. That nirvana seems to have died a death.

As Jim B and JimGWard remind, Brexit has turned out to be the biggest car crash ever and one which will be hugely detrimental to the future of the UK. A year ago there were probably 8 or 9 loud and very vociferous posters on PL in support of Brexit. Most have now left the room, realising that Brexit has become the disaster it was predicted to be. Only Hudswell now fights the lost cause, with occasional support from Apus Apus.

And just to remind, the UK now has a lead Brexit negotiater who until the other day 'didn't realise' how much trade passed, Customs and tariff-free, from Dover to Calais. You couldn't make it up :roll:

Post Reply