Is the EU ready for turning ?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Mrblobby

Is the EU ready for turning ?

Post by Mrblobby »

Barnier: EU Ready to Offer Unprecedented Partnership (3:27 p.m.)

Michel Barnier, the EU’s chief Brexit negotiator, says the bloc is ready to offer the U.K. an unprecedented relationship which aims to keep ties as close as possible -- the kind of agreement the EU has not had with “any third country.”

The pound rallied to a three-week high on Barnier’s remarks. The currency had tumbled in recent weeks as senior ministers stepped up warnings that Britain was at risk of crashing out of the bloc without a deal.
ApusApus

Re: Is the EU ready for turning ?

Post by ApusApus »

Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

First piece of good news that’s come from brexit.....
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Finally the message has got through, we're off, we're leaving, goodbye. Of course they'll do a deal, it's the only way they can still get their hands on our money.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I don't agree with you most of the time, but Mrs May is weak and it shows big time, come back Maggie.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Hudswell
Just a couple of points; about 4 million British "Expats" were disenfranchised from voting in the referendum. Indian and Pakistani who were resident in the UK ( not UK citizens) at the time of the referendum were able to vote but 3 million resident EU Citizens were not allowed even though the vote affected their lives. This is not in my opinion and millions of others a democratic vote of the people.
Secondly, the EU has been consistent in it's position and because they won't bow to UK pressure you insist they are punishing the UK. From the beginning of negotiations they laid out their red lines as did May, the difference being is that they have not moved because they are not leaving the EU, the UK is.

Jim
tyelaw47

Post by tyelaw47 »

Jim , I am not quite sure where you get your facts and figures from? According to the information I can find there are between 4-5 million UK Ex Pats living around the World but of course many of these- I would suggest a high percentage( although I can find no facts to confirm this) have lived abroad for less than 15 years and so were eligible to vote. Re the 15 year rule,like it or not, this is how it is and was well before the referendum and in fact the Supreme Court upheld the decision of both the High Court and the Court of Appeal that the 15 year rule was lawful.
Now to your point about Pakistan and Indian citizens being able to vote and EU citizens not then you have not quite given the full facts I fear. In fact all Commonwealth citizens who met the age and residency criteria were able to vote. You are of course correct in saying that EU citizens could not but don't forget that they continue to have the right to vote in their own countries elections.
Re the UK citizens who were not able to vote due to non receipt of papers then I would suggest this number was minimal and of course all UK Ex pats out of the country for less than 15 years had 3 options available to them; vote by post,appointing an agent to vote for them or indeed in person if they chose to visit the UK.
I really believe that the Government of the day were correct in applying the procedures relating to the referendum and had they changed things purely because it was Brexit it would have caused an even worse outcry.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:42 am I would suggest that any leader would struggle under the currant "infighting" amongst their own and other political parties...if the Government, Parliament had presented a united front from the start, to ensure that the Democratic Vote of the people to leave the EU was carried forward we would not be in the situation we are in now....the EU would have been forced to negotiate rationally rather than taking the stance of punishing the UK rather than facilitate a orderly and benificial withdrawal, which actually perhaps now it will do...
Hudswell, the infighting affecting brexit lies solely within the Tory party. Labour under Corbyn has no balls to form a coherent view and has voted to support the Tories. Any problems with brexit lies solely within the Tory party, as the party in power and uniquely with support of the opposition, so allowing their plans, whatever they may turn out to be, to largely follow through.

However, I suspect, no matter what plans are put forward as a solution, JOHNSON, REES-MOGG,Gove and others will scupper. They want only a complete and utter separation, They don't care about turmoil and economic problems, as that creates opportunity for them and their ilk.

If they push through a hard brexit, then parliament 'may' oppose and I am sure all Tory supporters like yourself, will blindly blame labour for all ills - as per..... its what happens when a government can't lead or get it's will to work.
Last edited by Jimgward on Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Tyelaw

I hope this gives you some idea where I got my information; from the BBC, Telegraph, Guardian and many other sources. I don't sit and make it up.

Jim

from the BBC, an estimated five and a half million Brits live overseas

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/shared/spl/hi/i ... road/html/

How many Brits unable to vote; this article says 3 million but another article I read said 4 million

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ote-tories

Tory Pledge to scrap the 15 year rule in 2014 Manifesto which they reneged on.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expat ... xpats.html

It appears that there was more than just a few postal votes misplaced or lost.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... st-germany

https://webrootsdemocracy.org/2017/10/2 ... eferendum/

Nearly a million Commonwealth Citizens were entitled to vote in the referendum.

It is a throwback to when Commonwealth citizens were regarded as British subjects, as were Irish citizens until 1949, although their right to live in the UK was gradually restricted.

Really Democratic when British born citizens are disenfranchised but someone from Singapore or Bangladesh can vote.
tyelaw47

Post by tyelaw47 »

No Jim it does not say 3 million it says up to 3 million which could be anything and this in the pro EU Guardian! If you could show me the statistics rather than a media article I would concede. I also have to ponder how many of those who could not vote due to the 15 year rule would have voted if they could have or would they have been of the same opinion as HIC that they have made their home in that specific country and have no intention on voting on UK issues? ;) Re the postal votes ,according to your article there were some issues with the sizing I believe of the pre paid envelopes in Germany and France which was resolved.
You really are clutching at straws Jim. Get over it man! Nothing you or I can do will change the decisions made.Brexit will happen like it or not and I am confident that we will survive and prosper!
Last edited by tyelaw47 on Fri Aug 31, 2018 7:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

:roll:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Tyelaw
You are as usual very selective with your responses. If you read back on earlier posts I made I did actually say I wouldn't be so foolish as to suggest every disenfranchised Brit would vote to remain but then again because they were robbed of their vote we will never know as we will never know how the vote would have gone if Commonwealth Citizens had of been disenfranchised as well .
To expect there to be statistics of how many disenfranchised Brits there are is simplistic and depending which news source you read gives a different total.
Yes the postal votes were sorted but not before thousands had been destroyed and were not replaced.

I see you never mentioned about the votes for life and the Tory Manifesto in the Telegraph; as I said, selective.

Jim

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The most outrageous whopper being told at the moment is that Brexit will fail because of the remainers trying to implement it.

The only reason the remainers are trying to implement is because all the leavers in parliament vanished into thin air the moment the result was declared. If you want somebody to blame, blame them.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

That went right over my skull cap Dominic! :?

Shane
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Well there we have it, today Mrs May has said NO second referendum, at last she is starting to show some back bone.

Jackie
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

No. The EU is not ready for turning.

FAZ today - (interview with Barnier, in which he certainly did not hold back) . Both in German, obviously -
http://www.faz.net/aktuell/politik/ausl ... 66681.html
You have to pay to read, but - I found this in Spiegel, quoting the article -
http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/b ... 26134.html

EU-Chefunterhändler Michel Barnier erteilte Mays Plänen indes eine Absage. Würde man den Briten einen privilegierten Zugang zum Binnenmarkt gewähren, führte dies zu einem "unfairen Wettbewerb", sagte Barnier der "Frankfurter Allgemeinen Sonntagszeitung". "Das wäre das Ende des Binnenmarkts und des europäischen Projekts."

Online translation gives
EU chief negotiator Michel Barnier, however, rejected May's plans. Granting the British privileged access to the single market would lead to "unfair competition," Barnier told the "Frankfurter Allgemeine Sonntagszeitung". "That would be the end of the single market and the European project."
Last edited by OhSusana on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Watch this space OhSusanna! ;)

Shane
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

I'm watching. And reading.

Michel Barnier has said he is “strongly opposed” to the prime minister’s Chequers proposals on future trade, as he advised European car manufacturers that they will have to use fewer British-made parts after Brexit.

Another bit quoting from the FAZ article. Today.
Last edited by OhSusana on Sun Sep 02, 2018 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

I'm amazed how well the pound is holding up, given this article in the FAZ. 1.116.

By the way, HIC, what are you doing online at the same time as me?! I thought we were supposed to be one and the same person. :lol: :lol:

Barnier is so worried about things that he's been hiking in the Savoyen Alpen - the first question to him, in the article. )
Lovely place for a holiday, to relax while the Brits commit suicide.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Sharks or vultures?

I must admit I cannot understand our Teresa.