Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby links Donald Trump and Brexit to fascism

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
OhSusana

Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby links Donald Trump and Brexit to fascism

Post by OhSusana »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 79836.html

Justin Welby, in a speech to the General Synod, said there were “a thousand ways” to explain the rise of leaders “in a nationalist, populist, or even fascist tradition of politics”.

Included in his examples were the EU referendum result; Mr Trump; the far-right Dutch politician Geert Wilders and Marine Le Pen, French presidential candidate and leader of the Front National.

“Almost certainly there is no simple explanation, almost certainly the impact of globalisation economically, or marginalisation politically and of post-modernity culturally have some role to some extent,” he said.

“That will be the material of a thousand PhDs and no consensus in the next 50 years. We are in the middle of it all, and we see neither the destination nor the road.”

Interesting seeing the Brexit vote in terms of a rise in "nationalism".
Trump certainly follows in this mould - Put America First. And Putin obviously will delight in the rise of nationalism throughout Europe.
geoffreys

Re: Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby links Donald Trump and Brexit to fascism

Post by geoffreys »

Very odd report. The BBC said 2 days ago that is had said folks should not criticize Trump or the Brexit.
I wonder what the Daily Fail has to say about it?
Geoff.
Firefly

Re: Archbishop of Canterbury Justin Welby links Donald Trump and Brexit to fascism

Post by Firefly »

I have no time for Clergymen who, as I see it, abuse their position by preaching politics, rather than preaching The Gospel.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

He is obviously entitled to his opinion.

But that is all it is - studying the bible doesn't make him anymore an expert on politics than the average man in the street. I bet his politics are more coloured by the newspapers he reads than any of his life experiences...

I've never understood why people seem to think that pop stars, actors or the clergy should be listened to on subjects as diverse as politics and climate change in which they have absolutely no special expertise...?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:08 pm I have no time for Clergymen who, as I see it, abuse their position by preaching politics, rather than preaching The Gospel.

Jackie
The two are not mutually exclusive.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Firefly wrote: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:08 pm I have no time for Clergymen who, as I see it, abuse their position by preaching politics, rather than preaching The Gospel.

Jackie
The two are not mutually exclusive.
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

I personally have no time for any religion.
It has been the cause of millions of deaths over thousands of years!
And it will continue doing just that for as long as we have " religions " .
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

CG I bet his politics are more coloured by the newspapers he reads than any of his life experiences...

He seems to have had quite an interesting life. Illegitimate - but he didn't supposedly know for a long time.
Parents were alcoholics (mother and step-father).
Worked in Finance for a decade or so, and later has a posting in Liverpool.
Related to Conservative Peer Rab Butler... Real father was private secretary to Churchill... and now he's the Archbishop...
Certainly interesting.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Christianity as I see it, is not about politics, it should be about doing the best we can for all God's creatures, giving help whenever and wherever we can. I believe that on the whole ones political alliances are usually influenced by one or both parents, but accept that peer pressure can alter those alliances, when moving in different circles to your usual ones. Be you right/left or in the middle, your political leanings aren't anything to do with Christianity.

When I see Church doors open at night to all the homeless that have the misfortune to sleep rough on the streets of Britian, providing them with a hot meal, I might take more notice of the Clergy and their views, as it is I won't. Quite frankly we see more Christian actions from bodies such as The Salvation Army than we do from the C of E.

I appreciate that there are posters who will not like my views, sorry but they are my views.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:33 pm
Firefly wrote: Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:43 pmWhen I see Church doors open at night to all the homeless that have the misfortune to sleep rough on the streets of Britian, providing them with a hot meal, I might take more notice of the Clergy and their views, as it is I won't. Jackie

Had you watched "Songs of Praise" the week before last you would have seen such an event; the church featured open their doors every evening to the city's homeless and give them a meal and somewhere to shower and sleep. That surely is Christianity as it is meant to be practised?
Of course they did - they were on the tellybox... :roll:
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

Songs of praise, do me favour!
People who sing songs, believe in fairytales and don't have a grip of what is actually going on in the real world?
I'm supprised nobody has started up the mobile phone god yet, or may be that's in the pipe line for some weirdo sect yet to appear on CNN.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

Good for them, not before time, let's hope the rest of the C Of E Churches/Cathedrals can follow suit and follow this example instead of charging for entry. Yes you're right it is Christianity as it's meant to be practised, not preaching about Brexit and Trump.

Jackie
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

I have searched the last few weeks episodes of Songs Of Praise, no mention of any such Church as far as I could see, could you tell me the specific date please.

Thank, Jackie
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

Praise the Lord and send me the money
I'm happy, you can be happy too
If you praise the Lord and send me the money
That's what Jesus wants you to do

Late one night while watchin' Columbo
I fell asleep till quarter past three
When just like a vision I thought I was dreaming
I heard the voice of a man on TV

He said praise the Lord and send me the money
I'm happy, you can be happy too

I sat straight up and reached for my checkbook
Tremblin' with guilt, took my Bic pen in hand
I wrote out the figures, a one and four zeros
Went out and mailed it with a note to that man

And I said praise the Lord, I'm sendin' the money
I surely wanna be happy like you
Praise the Lord, I'm sendin' the money
If that's what Jesus wants me to do

I woke up late for work the next mornin'
I could not believe what I had done
Wrote a hot check to Jesus for ten thousand dollars
And my bank account only held thirty-one

I got a second job at a gasoline station
I'm savin' my money to pay what I owe
I don't get much sleep 'cause I stay up late watchin'
All of the folks on the Lord's TV show

Sayin' praise the Lord and send me the money
I'm so happy, you can be happy too

Praise the Lord, I’m sendin' the money
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Lloyd

I agree entirely with your views regarding Justin Welby in my view also he comes across as a very sound and decent man.

I also believe it is very sad that people jump to pour scorn and criticism on others for their beliefs whether justified or not. Religion and Faith are in my personal opinion private to each and everyone of us but no matter there are many many good people on this planet of varying religions or no religion at all who, unsung, do good deeds to and for others less fortunate than themselves. Doubtless critics can point to events and individuals who, whilst professing certain beliefs, have caused or carried out some horrendous deeds throughout history and still do. That is not to say there are others who are heartily sickened by such matters and do what they can to help alleviate it. Professing a faith or belief, no matter which, does not automatically propose that those people are better than anyone else nor that they dont make mistakes what they do about those mistakes is the criteria.

I myself describe myself as a Christian, not always a very good one I readily confess, but I can in all honesty say I have never in all my life intentionally hurt or harmed anyone and, if I am able, I do my best to help or assist anyone wherever and whenever I can. That does not make me a better person than those who dont believe and I personally have never thought or professed that to be.

Ramone you suggest that those who sing songs, believe in fairy tales and do not have a grip on the real world - you dont know me save from this site but let me assure you I have a grip on the real world and what it can do to people from personal experience. By the way I do believe in Fairy Tales and the world would be a lot better place if more people did so. Read Lloyd's grandchildren's letter to Santa Clause on behalf of their pet cat and I defy you not to be moved. OK they are children but so are we "grown up children" and quite frankly often less well mannered or behaved than children.

The suggestion has been made that churches etc should leave their doors open at night for the homeless well a lot of them still do as, of course, it is part of the ethics to give shelter to those without any but the reason why they were closed (and I say this from personal experience) was because unfortunately there were people who saw this as an opportunity to steal and destroy the property and I am not speaking of the homeless but those bent on destroying anything just for the sake of it. That all costs. However rather than just criticise and condemn, what is wrong with having a word with ones own local places of worship about forming a voluntary group to volunteer to oversee arrangement for giving shelter in their premises for homeless people. I know for a fact there are several such groups in my former area of residence (Ealing, London) and other parts of London who undertake such tasks and they aint all religious.

I wish each and all of you well. God Bless

Rita
Mark

Post by Mark »

Great post Rita.
You sound like a great person!
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Mark

Thank you you are very kind but I dont claim nor think I could to being a great person - I am as human as the rest of us with faults and omissions.

Rita
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

As I have already mentioned I do not like any religion as in my opinion they are the cause of a lot of sadness & misery.
Being religious does not make you a good person nor a bad one.
I do not pour scorn an anybody who has a faith, that is your choice. I just don't agree with it which is my opinion.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd

Thank you I'll find it.

Rita and Ramone

I respect both your views, and of course you have every right to express them, that makes for debate. I don't apologise for my opinions, I was brought up in a strict C of E environment, Church twice on Sundays, we walked a good mile there and back whatever the weather. When our Vicar delivered a sermon, it was mainly teaching how we all should and could be good Christians, no mention of politics as I recall.

We did not have to pay to enter The House Of God, one thing I find quite offensive. Those Churches/Cathedrals were built long ago for the community, now they are for the community if you can afford to go in. Hereford Cathedral were charging last Christmas to attend their Carol Service, I have never in my life heard of such a thing, and quite frankly I was disgusted.

The Church as I see it is on a downward spiral, time for The Clergy to take stock.

Jackie
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I've often wandered how much of a kicking Jesus would give the powers that be in the upper echelons of the various churches.

What happens when, during the Gospel readings, they get to Matthew 21:12, where he boots all the traders out of the temple?

They must have to pull a belter of a sermon out of the hat to explain that one away.