Boris Johnson

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Boris Johnson

Post by Dominic »

I am not a fan of his, but is there any actual harm in him saying that people wearing the Burka look like bank robbers and letter boxes?

I find these attacks on the English Language and what people are allowed to say without being villified far more worrying. Most of the "hate" is coming from people complaining.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
tyelaw47

Re: Boris Johnson

Post by tyelaw47 »

I agree Dominic and apparently Ken Clarke is known to have said they look like bags and was not villified for that. Brandon Lewis who was the first to say Boris should apologise did far worse by voting when he should not after being in a pairing with the Lib Dem deputy leader.
In my opinion the whole episode has been blown out of proportion and I have to say that I believe that it should be banned as in many other countries.I believe that Britain on the whole is extremely tolerant of all cultures and religions but maybe now is the time to lay down some basic rules as we have the right to do.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

If Boris meant what he said, saying sorry would not alter his view, so it would be meaningless, it is just distracting the news from more important issues.
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

As usual the do-gooders, I'm offended, lobby are in full cry.

Boris is saying what the majority think, of course they should be banned in Britain, who knows what's behind a burka, man or woman, but again we are so afraid of offending the up to now minority, that the government are afraid to act.

Mrs May should concentrate on matters of state that are important to Britain, rather than punishing Boris, maybe we could have a referendum on to ban or not to ban :lol:

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

I was watching an interview of a Muslim women being interviewed yesterday morning on BBC1. I could hear her voice but there was no movement at all from her veiled face. I initially thought my screen had frozen then had a chuckle when I realised the reality.
I still remember when working in Egypt and Saudi Arabia being invited to colleagues houses and their wives and daughters served the mens meal totally covered head to toe and would not sit with us. Plenty of giggles from the women from behind serving screens to the kitchen.
Ban them.
holitec

Post by holitec »

I am not in favor of the Government dictating clothing types. I do think that veils should be removed where anyone else is required to show their face in order to make a positive id, like banks, schools, shopping malls etc, and there should not be exceptions on any grounds.

This actually came up in conversation the other day, with someone from Iran - She wholeheartedly believed it should be banned in the west. It is not an Islamic requirement, but a cultural thing anyway -so unlike some items like a turban not a requirement of the religion.

I remember visiting Spain years ago (my parents had an apartment there) and the first thing the Saudi Women did was get in a car and drive (although they probably did not hold a license!), and dress western style.

I think these days it is much of a reminder of what Islamic State is all about, and I am thinking what effect it may have on refugees who have escaped from there - maybe the government needs to consider what post traumatic stress effects this could trigger, rather than looking at this from one side only.

If nothing else, BoJo may spark a meaningful debate.

Digby
josef k

Post by josef k »

I firmly believe it is not up to me, or anyone else, to dictate what women should wear. Obviously there is a need to keep within the realms of decency, but women covering up certainly can't be accused of not being decent.
We must look at why many people in Britain don't like women wearing Islamic dress. I believe it's nothing to do with terrorism or male oppression of women. It is a fear of the "other" that is behind it. Do you remember when black people were feared. "I wouldn't want to live next to one". "I wouldn't let my daughter marry one" etc etc. Much of the humour, on the TV and off, was based on the visual differences of black people and black people suffered as a result. Attacks in the street were common. Now people are more familiar with black people there is more acceptance towards them.
Compare this with what is happening today. Islamic dress is the butt of humour in the media, and violence and hurt is directed towards women who choose to cover up. It is a repeat of what happened previously with a different target. All based on an irrational fear of the "other".

Once, and only once, people who are different to the main population are truly accepted, and feel so, then will it be OK to crack jokes about them. It is still dangerous ground to crack jokes about black people. We have some way to go before it will be OK to crack jokes about women who choose to cover up.

Boris understands this. He is deliberately stirring the pot in the belief he can ride the wave of populism and land in the PMs chair. That is all this is about. Nothing more, nothing less.
tonee

Post by tonee »

Take a ride down the Coventry Road,Small Heath in Birmingham.The whole area "turns" black,as in Burkas and shops,it,s frightening.I suspect all the larger cities have areas like this.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

tonee wrote: Tue Aug 14, 2018 5:29 pm Take a ride down the Coventry Road,Small Heath in Birmingham.The whole area "turns" black,as in Burkas and shops,it,s frightening.I suspect all the larger cities have areas like this.
What exactly is frightening about that? I am living in the Middle East since 2005 and cannot see anything frightening about it to be honest. Maybe a few Cypriots feel the same about the Little Britain enclaves in some areas of Cyprus? Just because it feels foreign surely does not mean it is bad or dangerous is it?

A.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

When 'the other' might be a bomber, then people have a right to object to women, ? men wearing the burka. Other countries have banned them, and as I see it, so should we.

One incident reported recently in the news shows why British people are fed up of bending over backwards not to offend, when a biker was asked to remove his helmet at a filling station so that his face could be seen, but a woman in a burka who had put petrol in her car at the next pump was NOT asked to remove it.

We have gone too far to please.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Maybe she payed with cash and he didnt
David
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Uncle D

What difference does it make how they paid ? If the cashier needed to see one face, why not the other, they could both have been muggers.

Jackie
tonee

Post by tonee »

Ha, lofos,you live in the Middle East,of course it aint frightening,now walk down the street in a Bikini..quote"Just because it feels foreign,surely does not mean it is bad or dangerous"
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Now that's a frightening thought indeed Tonee - the sight of me in a bikini, no matter whether in Riyadh, Kuwait or Birmingham or Bradford :o
tonee

Post by tonee »

Ha, nice one :lol: