Airbus Potentially quitting the UK

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Airbus Potentially quitting the UK

Post by Jimgward »

Aerospace giant Airbus is on the brink of abandoning British investment after losing patience with Theresa May’s stalled Brexit negotiations, according to today's splash in The Times.

The company employs 14,000 people and supports a further 110,000 jobs in its supply chain in the UK. It also generates £1.7 billion in tax revenues.

Airbus is preparing to abandon plans to build aircraft wings at its British plants and move production to China, the US or elsewhere in Europe.

“In the absence of any clarity, we have to assume the worst-case scenario,” Tom Williams, the chief operating officer of Airbus, told The Times. “It is the dawning realisation that we now have to get on with it.”

Jimgym

Re: Airbus Potentially quitting the UK

Post by Jimgym »

Are they leaving then?
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

The BBC has a slightly different take on the sensationalist headline in The Times!

https://www.bbc.com/news/business-44570931

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell, you are extremely selective on what you comment on, on these threads,. So, Boris, for example, is ignored, so you can have as go aT Lloyd....

You avoid trying to counter argue, at all costs.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I d-my think anyone disputes that we will leave. The terms of that should be up for debate. It should not be leave at all costs. The comment by Boris is not unexpected. He is a baffoon. He cares nothing for the country or the people. His ilk care only for themselves and their ilk. Like Rees-Mogg. People who will make money from brexit.
The fact that 2 years down the line we know no more than we did then isn’t all the fault of the EU. We have no solution for Ireland. We have no capability of running border controls without massive delays. We haven’t prepared for this at all. Democracy gives us the right to question failures by politicians and even Farage stated that vote been to remain he would never have given up lobbying for leave.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 6:49 pm Still think Brexit was a good idea? Yeah, right :lol:
I think not many do think this anymore but don't dare to admit it maybe? Fool Britannia...

This is from the Economist:

The economy has slowed to a standstill, largely because of Brexit
Surveys from the second quarter of the year have not been encouraging

FOR some time Britain’s vote in June 2016 to leave the European Union appeared to be having little economic impact. Sterling slumped but GDP growth in the second half of 2016 was faster than in the first. Unemployment fell, rather than jumping, as most economists had feared. Yet the notion that the economy would escape Brexit uncertainty was always fantastical.

Britain’s economy has gone from a leader to a laggard internationally, as GDP growth has slowed sharply (see chart below). As The Economist went to press, the monetary-policy committee (MPC) of the Bank of England was expected to leave its benchmark interest rate on hold at 0.5%. The economy is deemed too weak to cope with higher borrowing costs.

brexit.png
brexit.png (227.5 KiB) Viewed 4941 times

A few factors explained the economy’s outperformance in the immediate aftermath of the referendum. The government eased fiscal austerity. In August 2016 the Bank of England cut interest rates to 0.25%. Happily, around the same time the world economy entered its first synchronised upswing since the global financial crisis. Britain is an open economy. Its exporters have benefited from strong foreign demand, especially from the European Union, by far the country’s largest trading partner.

The economic impact of the vote for Brexit is turning out to be less of a sting and more of an ache. Sterling’s referendum-induced decline has made imports pricier. Annual inflation exceeded wage growth for most of 2017. Although inflation has fallen from its recent peak of 3.1%, real wages are still barely growing. Today the average employee’s pay packet is roughly 3% smaller than might reasonably have been expected in June 2016, when real wages were moving up. Brexiteers who emphasised how much Britain allegedly pays to the EU will be interested to learn that, across the whole economy, that adds up to around £350m a week in lost earnings. Growth in household spending, which accounts for some 60% of GDP, has slowed.

That has duly made its mark on overall economic growth. In the first quarter of 2018 GDP rose by just 0.1%, the slowest rate since 2012. Poor weather at the start of the year hit the construction industry but overall had only a “limited” effect on the economy, according to the national statistics office. Perhaps more importantly, the world economy is slowing. Britain’s exports have dropped for the past two quarters.

The MPC’s decision in November to reverse its post-referendum rate cut, which was motivated by a desire to bring inflation back down to its 2% target, has not helped matters. The prospect of rising borrowing costs may have made the public more cautious. More than half of Britons believe that a further tightening of monetary policy is on the way, the biggest share since 2011. Some households seem inclined to pay down debt or save, rather than spend. Business investment has stagnated, which may also reflect the fact that the moment when Britain is actually due to leave the EU is fast approaching.

Many economists are now wondering whether Britain is heading for outright recession. Some recent surveys have not been encouraging. After a strong performance in 2017, manufacturing output appears to be falling. Retail sales have picked up—but they are poorly correlated with overall consumer spending. All told, it does not seem pessimistic to expect quarterly GDP growth of a meagre 0.1-0.2% in the second quarter of 2018.

There is little chance of the economy bouncing back soon. Consumer confidence remains low. Businesses have only modest plans for investment in the coming months. In 2018-19 the government appears to be ramping austerity up again as it seeks to close its budget deficit despite a new promise to spend more on the health service. Britain seems to be trapped in a period of low growth. And Brexit has not even happened yet.

This article appeared in the Britain section of the print edition under the headline "An ache, not a sting"
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 3:38 pm So,..when the EU technocrats actually decide to sit down and negotiate..realistically, rather than threaten, bully... And intimidate...not tactics that tend to work against the british then perhaps we can get somewhere...Jim, read the papers...everything...everything the UK government propose, suggests is shot down by these ingrates in the EU...is this really an organisation you would wish to be part of? They will,do absolutly everything to deter any other member from leaving...Ireland is only a problem because that little mite of a man the Irish PM wants to make it one...encouraged by the EU "Politicians" who know F*** all about the history between Eire and the Province...
Hudswell. Calling the Irish PM a “mite” defeats all your arguments. When one resorts to insult, the reason has gone.

We actually have some Tory politicians suggesting that ireland should rejoin the UK and save all this hassle! I’m sure you’d agree. A typically blinded and brainwashed ex forces person.

The world is now smaller than ever. We can’t recapture the colonialism that never did anyone any good anyway (apart from the few)

As Lloyd says, after 2 years no deals are on they table. Nothing to do with the EU. Why would India for example, choose the uk over the EU. They made demands for free movement of Indian nationals. That would cause apoplexy for your fellow brexshiteers.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

[/quote]

Hudswell. Calling the Irish PM a “mite” defeats all your arguments. When one resorts to insult, the reason has gone.

As Lloyd says, after 2 years no deals are on they table. Nothing to do with the EU. Why would India for example, choose the uk over the EU. They made demands for free movement of Indian nationals. That would cause apoplexy for your fellow brexshiteers.
[/quote]

Jim, why do you feel the need to use such incredibly childish names? "Brexshiteers" I'd like to say it was a typo.....
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 9:48 pm Jim, I am not a " Brexiteer" or a Remainer...I am someone who has accepted the will of the UK which has decided, in a referendum to leave the EU...which if those that would wish to overturn that desire..got behind the government and supported the inevitable ..then the EU would not be in a position to threaten And Jim please..yes I am extremely proud to have served my country as an "ex forces" person...perhaps a concept you fail to understand, or indeed have never felt, in your privileged life, the need to do so...And in regard to your views re Indian citizens, it exposes your quite frankly raciest tendencies, I have no issue with those who can provide benefit to the uk, working living and residing there,.
Me racist, what a laugh, from the person who has been racist towards the Irish on more than one occasion.... including here.
How I would need racist pointing out how many brexit voters would be appalled at free movement of Indician citizens, when Farage’s famous poster showed just that.

My life was not proveldged growing up, I had the brains to prevent me ever joining the forces, some friends with no prospects did. It didnt mean I was priveledge not to. Ive said before, I see zero evidence of any conflict since WW2 that we should have been inviolved in. Yes, granted, the forces can also do humanitarian work..... but they dont fight in my name, in Iraq, Afghanistan, Libya and more.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jimgym wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:36 pm

[/quote]

Jim, why do you feel the need to use such incredibly childish names? "Brexshiteers" I'd like to say it was a typo.....
[/quote]

Sadly no it, I was being infantile in stirring up things. I have complained before at the “remoianer’ tag flung around this forum willy-nilly and have let myself down....
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:46 pm Nope, I think it just about sums him up...
Ha, from the biggest antagonist left on here, one who has even ‘challenged’ me in the past....you’re a parody, old bean. :mrgreen:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:20 am
Jimgym wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 10:36 pm

[/quote]

Sadly no it, I was being infantile in stirring up things. I have complained before at the “remoianer’ tag flung around this forum willy-nilly and have let myself down....
[/quote]

Ah Jim, we all have our off days! :mrgreen:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Watching sky news this morning it appears Airbus were put up to this outburst by the government trying to frighten MPs into supporting Mays deal against a no deal Brexit or a second vote. There have been several "leaks" over the last few days which seem too coincidental; one from Border Control about border crossing delays this morning and another about passports having to still be valid for up to 15 months rather than 6 when entering the Schengen Area.
The government are using every underhand trick to push through Mays deal and this is the democracy leavers crave.

Jim
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

Spot on, project fear all over again, (yawn).

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Not about Airbus - but the CAA have created their own mini-site on the event of UK leaving the EU without a deal.

This is what the Civil Aviation Authority have to say on the matter It's a longish read though.
https://www.caa.co.uk/our-work/about-us/eu-exit/

So, here's a rather simplistic comment (in form of an image) on the current viewpoint from the EU.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

When will people realise all this is NOT project fear....

I am fed up asking for and expecting the BENEFITS of Brexit - no politician can define ANY real benefit except the old trawled up.... "Taking control of our borders..." "Take our Sovereignty back" "Cut immigration" "Lose all these bad EU regulations"

These are all lies and sound bites....

Almost EVERYT industry, from Agriculture, to Manufacturing, to the Car Industry, to the NHS, to Retail, to Food and Drink have WARNED that Brexit is a shambles. That a hard-brexit will devastate the country. This isn't some made-up project to scare people....

Yes, sometimes politicians wind up people and ask some to say something to add weight - that is only 'fear' if it's not TRUE!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jim Ward

I totally agree with you. I'm aware about the catastrophe of a no deal Brexit but what I'm saying is that the government are using any means be they underhand or devious to try and get their agreement accepted.
This is all about saving the Conservative Party as far as May is concerned and the country comes a distant second; Corbyn just wants power.

Jim