We're " DOOMED"

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
memory man

We're " DOOMED"

Post by memory man »

Brexit: No-deal would lead to immediate food and medicine shortages government, 'doomsday' study claims :cry:

'The supermarkets in Cornwall and Scotland will run out of food within a couple of days, and hospitals will run out of medicines within two weeks,' a source said.

Britain could be hit with food and medicine shortages within two weeks of leaving the European Union if a Brexit deal isn't reached, a new government study has claimed.

A 'doomsday' scenario for a no-deal Brexit has been drawn up which paints a terrifying picture of what Britain could be forced to endure when the country leaves the EU.

Senior civil servants have speculated on three different scenarios for possible Brexit outcomes – one mild, one severe and one they have called 'Armageddon'.
A source told The Sunday Times: "In the second worst scenario, not even the worst, the port of Dover will collapse on day one.

"The supermarkets in Cornwall and Scotland will run out of food within a couple of days, and hospitals will run out of medicines within two weeks."

The source added that the RAF would have to be used to transport emergency medicine to the far corners of the UK and warned that the country would also quickly run out of petrol.

A spokesperson for David Davis' Brexit department said such discussions had taken place, but denied that the doomsday scenario would occur.
They said: "A significant amount of work and decision-making has gone into our no-deal plans, especially where it relates to ports, and we know that none of this would come to pass".

Concerns are still being raised at the possibility of a no-deal Brexit meaning the UK will trade on World Trade Organisation terms, with critics suggesting wealthy EU countries will not want to trade with Britain in this manner.

One senior official described the potential catastrophe of Britain being unable to trade with Europe in no uncertain terms.

"We are entirely dependent on Europe reciprocating our posture that we will do nothing to impede the flow of goods into the UK. If, for whatever reason, Europe decides to slow that supply down then we're screwed," the official said.

However home secretary Sajid Javid said he didn't recognise the "doomsday" scenarios.

Speaking on the BBC's Andrew Marr Show, he said: "I have to say I don't recognise any bit of that at all and as Home Secretary. I am deeply involved in 'no deal preparations' as much as I am in getting a deal - I'm confident we will get a deal.

"From the work that I have seen and the analysis that has been done, those outcomes ... I don't think any of them would come to pass."

He added that the Government was making progress with Brexit plans, saying: "I'm confident that as we get to the June council meeting the Prime Minister will have a good set of proposals and our colleagues in Europe will respond positively."

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...d ... 81076.html
holitec

Re: We're " DOOMED"

Post by holitec »

OMG - I forgot that petrol and oil products come from the EU - I thought the North Sea, MIddle East, US and Russia provided most - how wrong I was!

I was also unaware that medicines all came from the EU - I thought that places like Cambridge had many of the drug companies based - how wrong I was!

As for food, I am sure that Farmers and Fisherman in the UK will somehow manage, with a little help from some other sources, after all if the EU fisherman are not taking about 750,000 tonnes of fish from uk waters, I am sure that some of that will help supply the needs without actually needing to fish the seas empty!

Project fear again

Digby
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Hardly project fear. They did three reports. One was a worst case scenario. It's called planning.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 pm Absolutly right...it's the "What Ifs" and numerous scenarios will have been played through. But again a case of the papers trying to make the news rather than report it....
Hardly making the news, if they’ve reported 3 scenarios run for the government and the middle one is doom and gloom. All this from “The Times” - I suppose they’re a left-wing rag now....
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It was the Independent.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The times ran with the same story

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news ... -02mld2jg2

Revealed: plans for Doomsday Brexit
Food, petrol and medicines would run out in a no-deal scenario...
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:54 pm
Jimgward wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:12 pm
Hudswell wrote: Sun Jun 03, 2018 9:45 pm Absolutly right...it's the "What Ifs" and numerous scenarios will have been played through. But again a case of the papers trying to make the news rather than report it....
Hardly making the news, if they’ve reported 3 scenarios run for the government and the middle one is doom and gloom. All this from “The Times” - I suppose they’re a left-wing rag now....
No but the Independant is.....🙄
So, is it only left-leaning newspapers that are ‘rags’? Cause I see more right-wing ‘rags’ on the shelves than left-wing.... more lies from them as well...
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Why does "your friend" not post this himself? :?

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

ApusApus wrote: Tue Jun 05, 2018 4:32 pm Why does "your friend" not post this himself? :?

Shane
I was wondering that too.
tonee

Post by tonee »

How are the thousands and thousands of containers arriving daily from all over the world at our ports up and down the country checked by customs?
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

'Your friend' is having you on!
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Nurse! I think you're needed.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It's rather like the 1st January 2000, when planes were going to fall out of the skies, and computers would go into melt down. All computerised records of everything would be lost.

Here we go again, I think these scaremongers enjoy the fear they can put into some of the more gullible of us.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:23 pm
Well, as he's been in the oil industry all his working life, all over the World, I think he's a little better qualified than you Devil to talk about where the UK gets it's oil 8-)
Quite frankly, you have offered no evidence of your interpretation of your 'friend's' theory. 'I don't believe it'. Come up with a more convincing non-partisan and signed proof, and I'll apologise.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The UK currently produces enough gas to meet almost half of its needs (43%) from the North Sea and the East Irish Sea. We also import 44% of the gas we use via pipelines from Europe and Norway. The remaining 13% comes in to the UK by tankers in the form of Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG).
Where does UK gas come from? - British Gas
https://www.britishgas.co.uk/the-source ... -come-from

In 2013 UK produced about 800,000 bbl/day and consumed about 1,502,000 bbl.

Some of the produced oil is exported for blending etc, as North Sea oil tends to be be quite “light”

Top three imports origins in 2016 came from:

Norway (65%), Nigeria (7.0%) and Russia (6.1%)

The rest came from a mix of 14 other countries.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »