Reports show more breakdown of Brexit Voters - and results were in line with educational attainment!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Reports show more breakdown of Brexit Voters - and results were in line with educational attainment!

Post by Jimgward »

Interestingly, they have broken down the voting patterns and this is the conclusion;

This information provides much greater depth and detail in explaining the pattern of how the UK voted. The key findings are:

The data confirms previous indications that local results were strongly associated with the educational attainment of voters - populations with lower qualifications were significantly more likely to vote Leave. (The data for this analysis comes from one in nine wards)

The level of education had a higher correlation with the voting pattern than any other major demographic measure from the census

The age of voters was also important, with older electorates more likely to choose Leave

Ethnicity was crucial in some places, with ethnic minority areas generally more likely to back Remain. However this varied, and in parts of London some Asian populations were more likely to support Leave

The combination of education, age and ethnicity accounts for the large majority of the variation in votes between different places

Across the country and in many council districts we can point out stark contrasts between localities which most favoured Leave or Remain

Jimgward

Re: Reports show more breakdown of Brexit Voters - and results were in line with educational attainment!

Post by Jimgward »

This is the link to the article from the BBC....

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-3 ... e=facebook

Now before people take offence, I do NOT think everyone who voted Brexit was of lower educational attainment....
cyprusgrump

Re: Reports show more breakdown of Brexit Voters - and results were in line with educational attainment!

Post by cyprusgrump »

As I mentioned on another thread, correlation does not equal causation...

You could have spent years dealing with the practical effects of the EU, but if you happened to have left school at 16 you are less capable of assessing its merits (according to this view) than a 22 year old with a Media Studies degree from an ex-poly.

The difference being that the (supposedly more intelligent) media studies student will be up to his/her eyes in debt which they will most likely never be able to repay...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You could also say that the graphs shows that people who don't like getting their hands dirty voted for remain. So what? I fail to understand the fascination in this.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
keving

Post by keving »

That scatter diagram looks pretty convincing to me. I wonder what the coefficient of correlation is. Pretty high I would think.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

'The Intellectual Yet Idiot' springs to mind with the whole Brexit, Trump debates.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I personally find the graphs that show age patterns to be more significant. That shows that the over 60's voted for Brexit, the under 60's to remain.

Turkeys voting for Xmas? or Wise old heads who know better? or, as I personally think, Age garners doubts, negative views and more conservative notions.... self-preservation over broader views?
keving

Post by keving »

Wise old heads who know better? Or wise old heads who want to turn back the clock to a time when Britain was great?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I would like to see a graph showing the spread of votes by usefulness to the general population of the chosen career path.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:15 pm I personally find the graphs that show age patterns to be more significant. That shows that the over 60's voted for Brexit, the under 60's to remain.

Turkeys voting for Xmas? or Wise old heads who know better? or, as I personally think, Age garners doubts, negative views and more conservative notions.... self-preservation over broader views?
What would you say of the under 60's who voted leave? Or the ethnic minorities who voted to leave?
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

One sentence in the report says it all for me -

The level of education had a higher correlation with the voting pattern than any other major demographic measure from the census

As Dominic suggested on a different thread, with regard to Trump voting, there may be other factors involved, for example, those less educated are out of work and think that under Trump (or with Brexit) they will get more work.
But as HIC also pointed out, unemployment is relatively low in the USA. OK - there are some counties - 51 in fact - with unemployment above 10%, but this is not too bad really. Just a smattering throughout the country.

Whatever, it is a very interesting statistic.

My own opinion. Those less well educated in America - and maybe the UK - are more likely to be racist.
And Trump is seriously racist. The White Supremacists in America love him. And actively support the right-wing press - notably Trump's favorite Breitbart news thing.....
Last edited by OhSusana on Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.
bromerzz

Post by bromerzz »

OhSusana wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:34 pm One sentence in the report says it all for me -

As Dominic suggested on a different thread, with regard to Trump voting, there may be other factors involved, for example, those less educated are out of work and think that under Trump (or with Brexit) they will get more work.
But as HIC also pointed out, unemployment is relatively low in the USA. OK - there are some counties - 51 in fact - with unemployment above 10%, but this is not too bad really. Just a smattering throughout the country.

My own opinion. Those less well educated in America - and maybe the UK - are more likely to be rascist.
And Trump is seriously rascist. The White Supremacists in America love him. And actively support the right-wing press - notably Trump's favorite Breitbart news thing.....
So which category do you consider you fall into?
Educated or less well educated?
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Hmm, its interesting how the Leave voters are being denigrated. They're uneducated and now racist. I wonder what will come next.....
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

bromerzz wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:50 pm
OhSusana wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:34 pm One sentence in the report says it all for me -

My own opinion. Those less well educated in America - and maybe the UK - are more likely to be racist.
And Trump is seriously racist. The White Supremacists in America love him. And actively support the right-wing press - notably Trump's favorite Breitbart news thing.....
Irrelevant to the argument.
It is the quality of the argument that matters. And here we are arguing pure statistics.
The statistics clearly show a strong correlation between certain voting patterns. Why?
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Jimgym wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:00 pm Hmm, its interesting how the Leave voters are being denigrated. They're uneducated and now racist. I wonder what will come next.....
I don't know, but it would be interesting to see some statistics on this! If any exist at all.

However, I must point out that immigration is a huge issue, and one that politicians have avoided confronting for decades.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Where did I say they were out of work?

I said they did jobs more likely to be affected by the issues that Trump and Brexit capitalised on. That's what I thought I said anyway.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

OhSusana wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:00 pm
bromerzz wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:50 pm

Irrelevant to the argument.
It is the quality of the argument that matters. And here we are arguing pure statistics.
The statistics clearly show a strong correlation between certain voting patterns. Why?
Because the better educated don't do the jobs that are affected by cheap labour. If there was a flood of accountants into Britain lowering the wages of the locals, I am sure their opinion would change somewhat.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:06 pm
OhSusana wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:34 pm
Where did I say they were out of work?

I said they did jobs more likely to be affected by the issues that Trump and Brexit capitalised on. That's what I thought I said anyway.
Apologies.
It was HIC who wrote -
It was the Rust Belt which helped Trump above all else. The promise of jobs and prosperity in communities which have sadly long since passed their sell-by date. The promise that Trump would slap huge penalties on imports from China and Mexico, which led blue-collar workers to believe that they would once more be in demand.

You wrote -
Could it not be that the masses voted for Brexit because they were more directly affected by the issues at stake
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

OhSusana wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:00 pm The statistics clearly show a strong correlation between certain voting patterns. Why?
But they don't show causation... :roll:

So your assertion that thick, uneducated people voted Brexit because they are thick and uneducated has no proof or value - it is just a trolling insult to those that don't meet some unspecified higher standard that you would find acceptable.

When you have proof of causation get back to us...
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Dominic wrote: Tue Feb 07, 2017 5:09 pm
Because the better educated don't do the jobs that are affected by cheap labour. If there was a flood of accountants into Britain lowering the wages of the locals, I am sure their opinion would change somewhat.
There are various assumptions in your statement.
You are assuming that the better educated are employed. And those more poorly educated are out of work. Can that be shown statistically?
How is unemployment spread throughout the UK?
Several people I know - without a university education - went into banking - directly - or indeed in accountancy. So they might be classified as having a lower level of education.
Many people with PhDs struggle to get well-paid jobs; and in fact end up with low-paid ones. Or nothing at all.
Did those more poorly educated assume that they would stand a better chance of a job under Brexit?
And do they really want to do the cheap-labour jobs which many of the Poles and Eastern Europeans are doing currently in Britain?
Some well-educated people do low-paid jobs, completely contradicting your first sentence.
A lot of assumptions.