Windrush Ooh Aah

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Loxely Man

Windrush Ooh Aah

Post by Loxely Man »

People who were brought to the UK from the commonwealth in the 50s and 60s being threatened with deportation.
WHL

Re: Windrush Ooh Aah

Post by WHL »

Disgusting and shameful behavior by all sides of Parliament.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The whole thing is appalling.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Chaddy

Post by Chaddy »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:42 am
Hudswell wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:07 amAnd HIC, I am not actually sure what the MEU3 will do for you....you won't be a EU Citizen.....

As has been reported many times previously on other threads, it will give me right of residency here in Cyprus.
I have downloaded the MEU3 application form and it states clearly on the front sheet "Application for the issue of a permanent residence card for non-EU family members of union citizen"
So as I see it next year the UK will not be in the EU,so UK citizens will have to apply for permanent residency.Mmmmmm,,,
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

You already started a thread about MEU3, Chaddy.
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

Maybe we should be asking why were they were brought to the UK in the first place.
RattyPatty

Post by RattyPatty »

I was a child in the 50's and, growing up in Islington, London, it was always my understanding that he West Indians were invited to London to work on the Underground and buses. This is a shambles of the worst kind.
Maggie B

Post by Maggie B »

We can only hope those poor peeps caught up in this debacle will be able to relax soon and get on with their lives.

None of them can be considered young anymore and some of them will be worried sick. Shameful. . . . . .just shameful. 😣

MB
WHL

Post by WHL »

Loxely Man wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:30 pm Maybe we should be asking why were they were brought to the UK in the first place.
Why?
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

WHL wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:04 pm
Loxely Man wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:30 pm Maybe we should be asking why were they were brought to the UK in the first place.
Why?
Well why were they brought to the UK?
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

RattyPatty wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:43 pm I was a child in the 50's and, growing up in Islington, London, it was always my understanding that he West Indians were invited to London to work on the Underground and buses. This is a shambles of the worst kind.
There were jobs everywhere back then.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It would probably be easier if you just said what you wanted to say rather than ask questions you think you already know the answer to.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Why do the government want to remove the Windrush generation?
They did a great deal of hard work when the local workforce either couldn't/wouldn't or there were not enough of locals to fill the vacancies after WW2.
Most of them it appears have worked hard and paid their dues into the system as good law biding people and now are been treated very unfairly by that system through no fault of their own.

However when you look at all the murders/stabbings/crime in London in the last period and since the start of 2018 to 4 April there have been 52 murders and it appears that 98% of those killed are non white and of immigrant parentage. (one of those figures was the lowlife that got himself stabbed breaking into a house)

Does the government think that this is a way to resolve this crime wave?
Is it time to bring back unregulated stop and search?
TLR

Post by TLR »

boycott wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 10:57 am Why do the government want to remove the Windrush generation?
They did a great deal of hard work when the local workforce either couldn't/wouldn't or there were not enough of locals to fill the vacancies after WW2.
Most of them it appears have worked hard and paid their dues into the system as good law biding people and now are been treated very unfairly by that system through no fault of their own.

However when you look at all the murders/stabbings/crime in London in the last period and since the start of 2018 to 4 April there have been 52 murders and it appears that 98% of those killed are non white and of immigrant parentage. (one of those figures was the lowlife that got himself stabbed breaking into a house)

Does the government think that this is a way to resolve this crime wave?
Is it time to bring back unregulated stop and search?

The mistreatment of these people goes back much further than the last few months, it has nothing to do with the recent appalling events in London.
And the burglar who was stabbed was not of immigrant descent.
Linking the issue of the Windrush debacle with recent criminal acts is not appropriate.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

In my opinion ........

..... I would like to see this topic deleted before someone types something that they later regret.

I think it is obvious why it was started in the first place and I really do not want it to continue.
boycott

Post by boycott »

So don't discuss it and hope it goes away which just makes any issues carry on till it is all to late to resolve whatever issue.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

boycott wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:38 am So don't discuss it and hope it goes away which just makes any issues carry on till it is all to late to resolve whatever issue.
Fair enough!! Thank you 👌
Loxely Man

Post by Loxely Man »

Dominic wrote: Sat Apr 21, 2018 10:25 pm It would probably be easier if you just said what you wanted to say rather than ask questions you think you already know the answer to.
What I find unable to agree with is where it is being said that they were brought to the UK to help rebuild it after WWII.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

And why are you unable to agree with that?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

William Morris wrote: Sun Apr 22, 2018 11:32 am In my opinion ........

..... I would like to see this topic deleted before someone types something that they later regret.

I think it is obvious why it was started in the first place and I really do not want it to continue.
To be honest, forum members across the political spectrum, outside of the op, have been universal in their condemnation of the actions of the government.