Trump holding May's hand

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
keving

Trump holding May's hand

Post by keving »

Poppy

Re: Trump holding May's hand

Post by Poppy »

I was just seeing him give the Queen a quick pat on the bum!!
Bet she is not looking forward to it!
Ramone

Post by Ramone »

The Queen has met an awful lot worse over the years.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

keving wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:56 am How cringe worthy is this? ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nd-holding
It is called diplomacy!
What is more Mrs May's speech to the Republicans on Thursday evening was sheer genius, and well received.
Geoff.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

geoffreys wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 12:31 pm
keving wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 9:56 am How cringe worthy is this? ...

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... nd-holding
It is called diplomacy!
What is more Mrs May's speech to the Republicans on Thursday evening was sheer genius, and well received.
Geoff.
I thought it was quite cute... :)
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Not the greatest of images, but what the hey- at least she's met him.

Looks like Trump could be meeting Putin before Merkel and Trump has said lot of things about Germany, the EU, trade and Merkel that should make Merkel a lot more concerned than Theresa May ever had to be when they do finally meet. A cringeworthy hand shake is still a lot better than a dignified cold shoulder :lol:
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Dont think it was a hand shake, he was holding her hand whilst they went down a step
David
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Uncle D wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 1:45 pm Dont think it was a hand shake, he was holding her hand whilst they went down a step
I think you might have missed the point :roll:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Quite pathetic, not the hand holding but the vitriolic article in The Guardian (unsurprisingly)
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Spot on about the article- an appalling piece of "journalism" (and a lot more sickening than the photo)
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

I suppose it would be inevitable that you couldn't possibly see it from a female perspective :roll:
It was the patronising ' pat ' that got me.
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

What? the pat on the hand ? Is that sexist these days ?

Two people new in the job, facing global challenges, maybe about to face the press (pat of the hand "go get em" ?) , maybe having faced the press (tap on the hand,"well done" ?)

The consensus is the meeting went well, May did well, Trump is the most powerful person in the world (and a man) who has the economic and military clout to determine much about how the UK/EU Brexit deal pans out ( a fact that Remainers will hate) and all some can do is try and make a sexist issue out of their meeting?- grow up :roll:
keving

Post by keving »

Conoflex wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:11 pm What? the pat on the hand ? Is that sexist these days ?

Two people new in the job, facing global challenges, maybe about to face the press (pat of the hand "go get em" ?) , maybe having faced the press (tap on the hand,"well done" ?)

The consensus is the meeting went well, May did well, Trump is the most powerful person in the world (and a man) who has the economic and military clout to determine much about how the UK/EU Brexit deal pans out ( a fact that Remainers will hate) and all some can do is try and make a sexist issue out of their meeting?- grow up :roll:
Yep, I think Trump demonstrated to May that he is in control
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Cogs123 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:53 pm I suppose it would be inevitable that you couldn't possibly see it from a female perspective :roll:
Was Mrs. May offended or perturbed in any way do you think?
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

and I'm sure if Hillary had met Theresa she would have let her and the world know she was in control as well- albeit through a different gesture
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Conoflex wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:25 pm and I'm sure if Hillary had met Theresa she would have let her and the world know she was in control as well- albeit through a different gesture
And no doubt people would have been outraged at that, having spent an age trying to figure out why they ought to be offended. :roll:
keving

Post by keving »

Jimgym wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 5:20 pm
Cogs123 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2017 4:53 pm I suppose it would be inevitable that you couldn't possibly see it from a female perspective :roll:
Was Mrs. May offended or perturbed in any way do you think?
Have you ever held a woman's hand with your left hand and then patted her hand with your right hand?

Its something that I might do with my granny.

Was May offended or perturbed in any way? Probably not.

Did she find it awkward and uncomfortable? Probably.

Would she have preferred that Trump did not hold her hand and pat it? Probably
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

Hi Jimgym,
I wouldn't be so presumptuous as to guess whether or not she was perturbed/offended, I was merely commenting on how I felt about it.

Hi Conoflex,
I believe you are the one making it a sexist issue, I was replying to your post about the female reporters article which you chose to ridicule.
Having worked in a predominantly male environment for most of my life, ( including the military ), & still do, it was blatantly obvious to me that Trump was asserting his dominance, clearly that is not how you read the signal, perhaps you need to get out more :lol:
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

I didn't even know the reporter was female -it was simply tosh on a purely objective level making an issue out of virtually nothing :roll: If you think the situation the two found themselves in was in any way a normal one where you can judge what anyone is actually thinking then you are mistaken

It might just have been awkward steps or slope that Trump was aware of and she was not - just imagine if May had fallen flat on her face- what would that have done for the feminist cause :lol: You can clearly see Trump remove his hand once they come off the obvious (and probably high heel unfriendly) slope :roll:
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Much ado about nothing methinks.

Rita