BREXIT - Walk Away!!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Poppy

BREXIT - Walk Away!!

Post by Poppy »

Call me naive but I was amazed when watching the European parliament on tv this morning how many of the British MEPs spoke against us - SNP, Labour, UKIP in fact one German MEP supported us more than the British ( can't remember his name but I think he was German conservative ) and he was very critical of Barnier , Verhofstadt , Junker etc and thought we deserved better!
Now don't get me wrong I fully understand why Labour, SNP etc want to challenge us in our own Parliament but I think it is disgraceful when they cannot support Great Britain in the EU Parliament.
They have voted overwhemingly that not enough progress has been made to commence Trade Deals so I say lets walk! One German MEP was actually telling Theresa May to sack Boris Johnson. Who do they think they are to tell our Government what to do ?
I am truly incensed!!
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: BREXIT - Walk Away!!

Post by Dominic »

But she should sack him! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

No way Dominic - he has just got a standing ovation at the Party Conference :lol: :lol: :lol: !!
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

The British MEP's are probably more concerned about losing their seats at the lucrative trough than anything else. Highly paid, great expenses etc.

Although I am a firm believer in Brexit, Boris is becoming a global, never mind national, embarrassment. He needs to go.
holitec

Post by holitec »

I think that UK will be walking away, there is no flexibility from the EU.

As for Boris, leave him alone, he maybe needs a few lessons in diplomacy and he did a great speech at the conference.

I have not got a problem with things going bad with the EU, there is always another way - just need a bit of planning to sort any issues out.

Digby
Royal

Post by Royal »

A bad deal is NOT better than no deal.

I believe that we should walk.
2QuarterPints

Post by 2QuarterPints »

I suspect we may have to walk away with no deal, which would definitely be better than a bad one. The EU is petrified about giving us what could be called a good deal in case it gives other members ideas about leaving.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

AFTER Boris showed no potential or balls in condemning Spain over the Catalonia situation, he deserves to be thrown out.... he is a pretentious arse, with no consideration for anyone other than himself.
Royal

Post by Royal »

The EU are acting like the playground bully - they want to steal our Dinner Money. Does anyone really believe that the bullying will end there? In my analogy, it never does. Showing weakness to a bully just reinforces their belief in themselves and the bullying will carry on or intensify. We seem to be hoping that the bully will somehow become our friend. Some hope!

In my experience, the only language a bully understands is getting a bloody nose from the victim.

The threat to walk away (and to mean it and be prepared to carry it out) owing nothing (legally fully defensible) is the bloody nose Juncker, Barnier Verhofstadt et al will understand.

We are are Sovereign Nation dealing with second rate politicians from second rate countries who think that they are in positions of great power over 500Bn people. :lol:

When they meet in 2 weeks time, I hope that the Heads of State of EU27 have a bit more vision than is currently being shown by their jumped up power crazed agents.
Varky

Post by Varky »

So, Mr Junkers in the European Parliament says that the UK should carry out the Brexit discussions only with Mr Barnier and not by-pass him and speak directly to the various heads of state. A subsequent speaker then says that the EU does not know who to talk or listen to, Theresa, Boris or Davies. What is sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander........David Davies is the leader of the negotiating team, so they should talk to him. Typical hypocrisy and fog making of the EU.

On another point, how was the sovereignty of Serbia maintained by encouraging the independence and recognition of Kosovo (even though Spain has yet to recognise Kosovo as independent for obvious reasons) and now the EU wants to maintain the sovereignty of Spain by not wanting to recognise an independent Catalonia. Double standards if there ever was.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Would be good to have a poll on:- negotiate (until the cows come home) or walk.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I dont think walking away is an option, if you go down that route, then your no better then a third World banana republic, only the legal route is the option for a serious country
outasite

Post by outasite »

WHL wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 8:58 am I dont think walking away is an option, if you go down that route, then your no better then a third World banana republic, only the legal route is the option for a serious country
Other than paying what the UK has agreed to pay between now and 2019 less any rebates, of course, the "divorce bill" that the likes of Juncker and co are demanding isn't in the least bit legal. But, of course, that won't stop the man demanding it. Like all politicians, this man will always without exception be a do as I say and not as I do sort of disgrace.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Think you need to explain WHL. As far as I am aware walking away is completely legal. If the EU refuse to negotiate then they are in the wrong.Just whatever you mean by a third world banana republic I have no idea.May I remind you,that as the Icelandic MEP stated just the other day,everyone wants to trade with the UK.We have one of the strongest economies in the World.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Il explain it very simply so even you can understand..only Banana republics walk away from treaties they have legally signed up for, serious country's, negotiate their exit.
exodus

Post by exodus »

WHL wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:02 am Il explain it very simply so even you can understand..only Banana republics walk away from treaties they have legally signed up for, serious country's, negotiate their exit.
I think Poppy's point was it would not be illegal for the UK to just walk away. Which is what you said it would be.
Not a good idea to do so though, but saying it would make UK like a banana republic seems a bit strong.
Amos.
WHL

Post by WHL »

exodus wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:27 am
WHL wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:02 am Il explain it very simply so even you can understand..only Banana republics walk away from treaties they have legally signed up for, serious country's, negotiate their exit.
I think Poppy's point was it would not be illegal for the UK to just walk away. Which is what you said it would be.
Not a good idea to do so though, but saying it would make UK like a banana republic seems a bit strong.
Amos.
Not at all, the fallout will be massive, just think, all these current trade deals, what happens when there's a dispute, who will be responsible to adjudicate?? UK/EU courts etc etc...Only a Banana Republic would walk away and leave a massive mess like that.
exodus

Post by exodus »

WHL wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:34 am
exodus wrote: Thu Oct 05, 2017 11:27 am
Amos.
Not at all, the fallout will be massive, just think, all these current trade deals, what happens when there's a dispute, who will be responsible to adjudicate?? UK/EU courts etc etc...Only a Banana Republic would walk away and leave a massive mess like that.
Correct. BUT it would NOT be illegal to just walk away.
YES the fallout would be massive.
YES there would be a problem when there's a dispute etc.
YES only a Banana Republic would walk away etc (although I personally consider using that term is a bit strong).

BUT NOTHING ILLEGAL WOULD HAVE TAKEN PLACE.
Come on WHL, admit to Poppy, me, and other members, you made an error saying it would be.
Amos.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Amos, does it really matter if its illegal or not...the damage will be the same, listen im a pro leave merchant....but to just walk away will be Idiotic in the extreme, the fall out will be massive and it would take decades to sort the mess out..better for everyone that a fair solution is agreed on. and I stand by my remarks that only a Banana republic would decide to walk away.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Nope, WHL will never admit he's wrong, he just backs off, or should that be 'walks away' :roll:

Poppy, I find his insults the thing only thing on these threads that's extreme.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.