Brexit Plans are now being disclosed

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
PhotoLady

Re: Brexit Plans are now being disclosed

Post by PhotoLady »

Going back to the Farage poster....
I did another Google search today - there seems to be a large number of results which indicate many people formed the opinion it was Racist...

One such report here for instance in The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... f-migrants

Been out all day, we took ourselves off to Blackburn for a day out to explore some new shopping opportunities.
The weather was drizzly so most of our time was spent undercover around The Mall in the centre of town.
We had lunch downstairs in the Market area - a very nice Chicken Jalfrezi with rice and chapatis with a drink for less than £6 for both of us.
Last edited by PhotoLady on Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
keving

Post by keving »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:07 pm It is tempting to edit people's posts. The urge to edit Conoflex's post to include the words "Dammit Kev, I think I'm falling for you", is quite strong.

I tend to spend a lot of time sitting on my hands.
Whey hey Dominic. Don't even think about saying McIngy loves me. It won't be reciprocated.

To put the record straight, he talks sense sometimes ... but his "expert" economic analysis falls far short of some one who has had a background in economics ... comes across as someone who dropped out before the end of his degree course and hasnt even got a pass degree to show for it ... but, and here's the rub, the great "unwashed" have a disdain for experts so people like McIngy are resurgent.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

We should keep shtum for a year and see if the guy that posted a graph that you don't understand (but said it was 'bad') or the exchange rate and the FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 indexes are a better measure of the effect of Brexit... ;)
Hmmmm. the FTSE has closed down 1.46% today......
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:20 pm Going back to the Farage poster....
I did another Google search today - there seems to be a large number of results which indicate many people formed the opinion it was Racist...

One such report here for instance in The Guardian
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... f-migrants

Been out all day, we took ourselves off to Blackburn for a day out to explore some new shopping opportunities.
The weather was drizzly so most of our time was spent undercover around The Mall in the centre of town.
We had lunch downstairs in the Market area - a very nice Chicken Jalfrezi with rice and chapatis with a drink for less than £6 for both of us.
Firstly it was The Guardian... :roll:

Secondly, it was June 2016. So I think it is safe to assume that if their report has not resulted in any prosecution the authorities must have concluded that it was not racist...?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I think I need to find a "Global Ignore" setting for the Grump......

If ever a name.....
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

CG - do your own search.....
The remarks about his racist comments were being presented a good 12 months in advance of June 2016 :-D
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The Poster Issue......

An anti-migrant poster unveiled by Nigel Farage has been reported to the police with a complaint that it incites racial hatred and breaches UK race laws. On Thursday night Dave Prentis, of the Unison union, said he had written to the Metropolitan police about the poster, which shows a queue of mostly non-white migrants and refugees with the slogan “Breaking point: the EU has failed us all.”

Prentis described the Ukip poster as a “blatant attempt to incite racial hatred”. He said: “This is scaremongering in its most extreme and vile form. Leave campaigners have descended into the gutter with their latest attempt to frighten working people into voting to leave the EU.

“To pretend that migration to the UK is only about people who are not white is to peddle the racism that has no place in a modern, caring society. That’s why Unison has complained about this blatant attempt to incite racial hatred and breach UK race laws.”

Earlier, controversy over the poster had prompted Boris Johnson to distance the official leave campaign from Ukip. A string of politicians from Nicola Sturgeon to Yvette Cooper also condemned the poster.

Within hours, Twitter users had pointed out the image’s inadvertent similarity to Nazi propaganda footage of migrants shown in a BBC documentary from 2005.

Now, the fact no prosecution occurred, cannot lead anyone to assume that it isn't perceived as racist.... Perish the thought that 'the establishment' might be biased/right-wing/racist ....

Hillsborough police were perceived to be truthful..... need I go on?
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:23 pm
We should keep shtum for a year and see if the guy that posted a graph that you don't understand (but said it was 'bad') or the exchange rate and the FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 indexes are a better measure of the effect of Brexit... ;)
Hmmmm. the FTSE has closed down 1.46% today......
7220.38...?

Still up on the previous high of 7089 in April 2015...

Up on 7117 at the start of the month...?

Up on 6783 at the end of November...?

I'll leave you to work out the percentage difference... ;)
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

PhotoLady wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:28 pm CG - do your own search.....
The remarks about his racist comments were being presented a good 12 months in advance of June 2016 :-D
But has Nigel Farage ever been prosecuted or even taken to court for being or saying anyithing racist...?

A simple 'yes' or 'no' will suffice...
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:30 pm The Poster Issue......

An anti-migrant poster unveiled by Nigel Farage has been reported to the police with a complaint that it incites racial hatred and breaches UK race laws. On Thursday night Dave Prentis, of the Unison union, said he had written to the Metropolitan police about the poster, which shows a queue of mostly non-white migrants and refugees with the slogan “Breaking point: the EU has failed us all.”

Prentis described the Ukip poster as a “blatant attempt to incite racial hatred”. He said: “This is scaremongering in its most extreme and vile form. Leave campaigners have descended into the gutter with their latest attempt to frighten working people into voting to leave the EU.

“To pretend that migration to the UK is only about people who are not white is to peddle the racism that has no place in a modern, caring society. That’s why Unison has complained about this blatant attempt to incite racial hatred and breach UK race laws.”

Earlier, controversy over the poster had prompted Boris Johnson to distance the official leave campaign from Ukip. A string of politicians from Nicola Sturgeon to Yvette Cooper also condemned the poster.

Within hours, Twitter users had pointed out the image’s inadvertent similarity to Nazi propaganda footage of migrants shown in a BBC documentary from 2005.

Now, the fact no prosecution occurred, cannot lead anyone to assume that it isn't perceived as racist.... Perish the thought that 'the establishment' might be biased/right-wing/racist ....

But has Nigel Farage ever been prosecuted or even taken to court for being or saying anything racist...?

cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:25 pm I think I need to find a "Global Ignore" setting for the Grump......

If ever a name.....
First they ignore you, then they laugh at you, then they fight you, then you win. Mahatma Gandhi
Go for it! ;)
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

There's time yet.....
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

In case no one has noticed there is now an inverse relationship between stocks and currency in the post economic crisis/global economy world - one goes up, the other comes down - net result? very little change on the ground but a few richer speculators

Britain isn't going to be setting up as an offshore tax haven (which hits stocks), Britain is going to try and keep good relations with the EU (which boosts currency). Either way Britain is leaving the EU and it isn't going to be anything like as bad as the doomsayers made out
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

cyprusgrump wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:35 pm
Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:30 pm The Poster Issue......

But has Nigel Farage ever been prosecuted or even taken to court for being or saying anything racist...?

You can feck off with your simple yes or no... people can give answers that suit the topic....

Just because he hasn't been (so no to prosecuted) does not mean he shouldn't/couldn't/won't be...... as I said (in bits you choose to ignore, as per) the establishment supports him as they have similar views.... police can't be trusted in the UK, never could be. Government is never for the people, more the few.... Austerity for the poor, never the rich....
keving

Post by keving »

Mark won't like you telling him to "feck off", he'll be upset. With a bit of luck he'll flounce off.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Just because he hasn't been (so no to prosecuted) does not mean he shouldn't/couldn't/won't be...... as I said (in bits you choose to ignore, as per) the establishment supports him as they have similar views.... police can't be trusted in the UK, never could be. Government is never for the people, more the few.... Austerity for the poor, never the rich....

Utterly ludicrous -the entire political "establishment" has it in for Farage, but he actually hasn't done anything "wrong" that would stand up in a court of law- absolutely nothing :roll:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Conoflex wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:28 pm Just because he hasn't been (so no to prosecuted) does not mean he shouldn't/couldn't/won't be...... as I said (in bits you choose to ignore, as per) the establishment supports him as they have similar views.... police can't be trusted in the UK, never could be. Government is never for the people, more the few.... Austerity for the poor, never the rich....

Utterly ludicrous -the entire political "establishment" has it in for Farage, but he actually hasn't done anything "wrong" that would stand up in a court of law- absolutely nothing :roll:
I see zero evidence of "the entire political establishment' having it in for Farage.... he fits the agenda well.... in fact, I would be surprised if he doesn't end up in the Tory party one day....
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Would not be surprised myself, but he is the biggest anti establishment figure the UK has produced in decades- anyone who almost single handed forced a referendum on the EU can hardly be popular amongst the existing political classes can he ?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Conoflex wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 8:58 pm Would not be surprised myself, but he is the biggest anti establishment figure the UK has produced in decades- anyone who almost single handed forced a referendum on the EU can hardly be popular amongst the existing political classes can he ?
except, you forget that a substantial number of Tory MPs backed Brexit, along with aa very large number of their members and backers. Arguably, these people are more establishment than the MPs themselves.....
keving

Post by keving »

Conoflex wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:45 pm In case no one has noticed there is now an inverse relationship between stocks and currency in the post economic crisis/global economy world - one goes up, the other comes down - net result? very little change on the ground but a few richer speculators

Britain isn't going to be setting up as an offshore tax haven (which hits stocks), Britain is going to try and keep good relations with the EU (which boosts currency). Either way Britain is leaving the EU and it isn't going to be anything like as bad as the doomsayers made out
There has always been an inverse relationship between movements in the FTSE100 and the value of sterling relative to the US $. This is because 70% of FTSE100 companies' profits are denominated in $.

The £ depreciates against the $, profitability of FTSE 100 companies goes up, share prices go up to maintain the dividend yield ... end result, share prices automatocally go up without any fundamental justification .. ie no change in volume of sales or increase in productivity.

This is why no one should refer to the increase in the FTSE 100 index as a measure of the health of the country ... and no one should say "despite Brexit, look at the FTSE, the economy is booming"