Brexit Plans are now being disclosed

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: Brexit Plans are now being disclosed

Post by Jimgward »

cyprusgrump wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:31 pm
Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:28 pm I think the blokes summary says enough..... biggest fall in yield since Brexit announced.... the "hard news" isn't being taken well by the markets....
Yes, I see your well made point...

Yet the Pound is up and the FTSE 100 and the FTSE 250 are still at record highs... we're talking highest ever!
Yes, it has jumped 1c against the Euro....

I would be VERY cautious about FTSE figures..... these are NOT foolproof measures of anything other than stockmarket performance - they are now buoyed about May's speech.... but I'd wait and see if this continues....
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:59 pm
Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:28 pm I think the blokes summary says enough..... biggest fall in yield since Brexit announced.... the "hard news" isn't being taken well by the markets....

Yet the Pound is up and the FTSE 100 and the FTSE 250 are still at record highs... we're talking highest ever!

I would be VERY cautious about FTSE figures..... these are NOT foolproof measures of anything other than stockmarket performance - they are now buoyed about May's speech.... but I'd wait and see if this continues....
Good point well made...

We should keep shtum for a year and see if the guy that posted a graph that you don't understand (but said it was 'bad') or the exchange rate and the FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 indexes are a better measure of the effect of Brexit... ;)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

cyprusgrump wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:55 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:37 pm Even other Brexiters distanced themselves from Farage over that poster.
Which proves what...?

Did any of them refer the leave campaign to the DPP for racism over the poster...?

Was there any report or charge of racism brought over the poster...?

Given the ghastly litigious environment in which we exist we can only assume that the lack of prosecution means that there was no grounds for any claim of racism based on the poster...
If you can conclude that, you can conclude anything.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:11 pm
cyprusgrump wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:55 pm
Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:37 pm Even other Brexiters distanced themselves from Farage over that poster.
Which proves what...?

Did any of them refer the leave campaign to the DPP for racism over the poster...?

Was there any report or charge of racism brought over the poster...?

Given the ghastly litigious environment in which we exist we can only assume that the lack of prosecution means that there was no grounds for any claim of racism based on the poster...
If you can conclude that, you can conclude anything.
Well no... in the UK they exist in an environment where the police seem to be spending more time monitoring social media for a 'racist' faux pas than out on the beat preventing 'real' crime...

So it is completely unbelievable that 'the poster' did not get a good coat of looking at by the continually offended and the lack of any action must surely prove that they decided it was not racist...?
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Dominic- may I give you a bit of advice- you are getting more involved in the debate than is healthy for an administrator

CL was great site until the admin got so involved they lost sight of primary purpose- I just hope it doesn't happen to you
keving

Post by keving »

cyprusgrump wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 pm
kingfisher wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 am I googled "racism" and checked the first five dictionary definitions. I then got the entry for "Nigel Farage" on Wikipedia- moderately long, but worth reading. Based on this research, I agree with Cyprusgrump that he did not say anything "racist" in the campaign, nor indeed is he a "racist", although he is indisputably a patriot. He is married to a German woman and has two children who are also bilingual, and has German ancestry. On a lighter note, I was intrigued to learn that he shares Hitler's reputed monorchoidalism- they both have (or had) the misfortune to possess only one testicle. (not that that has anything to do with the topic!)
Thanks for that...

We (sadly) live in an age where you can be arrested and charged with racist hate crime for merely publishing an opinion on FaceAche... Given the high profile that Nigel has it is inconceivable that he could make racist remarks without having the full force of the law down on him - which he clearly has not.

Sadly the left shout 'racist' so frequently that it has lost all meaning. If you consider it 'racist' to want to control immigration then yes sure, Nigel is a racist. But then so am I and most of the British public too...
Why do 'the right' never shout racist?
keving

Post by keving »

Conoflex wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:30 pm Dominic- may I give you a bit of advice- you are getting more involved in the debate than is healthy for an administrator

CL was great site until the admin got so involved they lost sight of primary purpose- I just hope it doesn't happen to you
Conoflex, I think you should f off with your advice
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

You're only saying that because you think I'm white
keving

Post by keving »

I think you're ginger
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Wrong (again)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Conoflex wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:30 pm Dominic- may I give you a bit of advice- you are getting more involved in the debate than is healthy for an administrator

When I post in the politics forum under the id "Dominic", I am posting not as admin, but as Dominic. You may not be able to cope with that destinction, but I can assure you that I can. :)
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

cyprusgrump wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:04 pm
Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 5:59 pm

Good point well made...

We should keep shtum for a year and see if the guy that posted a graph that you don't understand (but said it was 'bad') or the exchange rate and the FTSE 100 and FTSE 250 indexes are a better measure of the effect of Brexit... ;)
This 'guy' is an expert - which we both are not.... I claim not to be.... you seem to think otherwise of yourself.... certainly by your comments - I didn't say I didn't understand but it was bad.... you go and place your bets on the pound v the euro and dollar improving.... and of the UK's GDP increasing.... you'll get good odds.... :ugeek:
keving

Post by keving »

Dominic wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:57 pm

When I post in the politics forum under the id "Dominic", I am posting not as admin, but as Dominic. You may not be able to cope with that destinction, but I can assure you that I can. :)
I agree sign :-)
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

keving wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 6:36 pm
cyprusgrump wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 12:18 pm
kingfisher wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 10:58 am I googled "racism" and checked the first five dictionary definitions. I then got the entry for "Nigel Farage" on Wikipedia- moderately long, but worth reading. Based on this research, I agree with Cyprusgrump that he did not say anything "racist" in the campaign, nor indeed is he a "racist", although he is indisputably a patriot. He is married to a German woman and has two children who are also bilingual, and has German ancestry. On a lighter note, I was intrigued to learn that he shares Hitler's reputed monorchoidalism- they both have (or had) the misfortune to possess only one testicle. (not that that has anything to do with the topic!)
Thanks for that...

We (sadly) live in an age where you can be arrested and charged with racist hate crime for merely publishing an opinion on FaceAche... Given the high profile that Nigel has it is inconceivable that he could make racist remarks without having the full force of the law down on him - which he clearly has not.

Sadly the left shout 'racist' so frequently that it has lost all meaning. If you consider it 'racist' to want to control immigration then yes sure, Nigel is a racist. But then so am I and most of the British public too...
Ooooh!

Is the answer that they are not brainwashed by the BBC, Guardian, Independent (hahahahaha) and other MSM to believe that anybody that objects to mass immigration is a racist...?

Is it that they perhaps understand the real meaning of the term 'racist' and therefore in the 21st Century have very little opportunity to use it...?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The 'debate' is so far, well behaved and Dominic has done nothing to inflame/change/impose anything that would be construed as interference from admin.....

Admin needs to monitor threads on their forum and as such, if they took no interest, then they would quickly lose interest....

CL experience of admin commenting within posts, deleting posts etc. wasn't an experience I saw much as I hardly used the forum the past year or so.... however I use a number of forums on different topics and I actually expect admin to have opinions...
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It is tempting to edit people's posts. The urge to edit Conoflex's post to include the words "Dammit Kev, I think I'm falling for you", is quite strong.

I tend to spend a lot of time sitting on my hands.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:00 pm This 'guy' is an expert - which we both are not.... I claim not to be.... you seem to think otherwise of yourself.... certainly by your comments - I didn't say I didn't understand but it was bad....
Errrr....
Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:41 am Now I don't profess to fully understand this, but apparently this graph represents a really bad view of the UK economy heading downwards.
It would appear that you did in fact say what you have just denied you said...

Just saying...

Perhaps you can go for broke and point out where I said I thought I was an expert...?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Ooooh!

Is the answer that they are not brainwashed by the BBC, Guardian, Independent (hahahahaha) and other MSM to believe that anybody that objects to mass immigration is a racist...?

Is it that they perhaps understand the real meaning of the term 'racist' and therefore in the 21st Century have very little opportunity to use it...?
Haha - you are a right one...... :lol:

So, it's main stream media, because you class it as left-wing (which is a joke about the BBC - have you watched Question Time of late? - Do you know their producer has introduced ultra-right wing audience members?)

I'd hazard a guess that right-wing media is more the mainstream.... such as The Mail, Sun, Express, Telegraph, Times etc. etc.

His point about the right never using the term 'racist' perhaps indicates the fact - verified worldwide - that racism and right-wing go hand in hand...

That doesn't mean everyone right of centre is a racist.... just like every Islamist isn't a terrorist.... However, you'll find, the EDL, National Front and many other racist groups, all are right-wing - all Royalist, Loyalist, Supermacist...... (all cysts)
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

cyprusgrump wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:09 pm
Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:00 pm This 'guy' is an expert - which we both are not.... I claim not to be.... you seem to think otherwise of yourself.... certainly by your comments - I didn't say I didn't understand but it was bad....
Errrr....
Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 11:41 am Now I don't profess to fully understand this, but apparently this graph represents a really bad view of the UK economy heading downwards.

Just saying...

Perhaps you can go for broke and point out where I said I thought I was an expert...?
Errr...
you don't understand (but said it was 'bad')

So, fully understand becomes "don't understand"

I didn't say you said you were an expert - see, perhaps your specs need checked.... it was an opinion from reading your stuff! - I have many of these, if you don't like this one, I can give you another?
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Jimgward wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:15 pm
cyprusgrump wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2017 7:09 pm
Errrr....

Just saying...

Errr...
you don't understand (but said it was 'bad')

So, fully understand becomes "don't understand"

I didn't say you said you were an expert - see, perhaps your specs need checked.... it was an opinion from reading your stuff! - I have many of these, if you don't like this one, I can give you another?
Attachments
13968917952_171b7cf07f_b.jpg
13968917952_171b7cf07f_b.jpg (81.95 KiB) Viewed 6135 times