Brexit Plans are now being disclosed

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Poppy

Brexit Plans are now being disclosed

Post by Poppy »

So it appears that we will not be in the Single Market nor the Customs Union and Britain will regain Border Control - Teresa May to confirm on Tuesday.
It is expected that the pound will now fall further so brace yourselves!
geoffreys

Re: Brexit Plans are now being disclosed

Post by geoffreys »

Poppy wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 8:41 am So it appears that we will not be in the Single Market nor the Customs Union and Britain will regain Border Control - Teresa May to confirm on Tuesday.
It is expected that the pound will now fall further so brace yourselves!
On the contrary, her speech on Tuesday is likely to build confidence in the UK economy by introducing certainty - the GBP should
therefore strengthen.
So sayeth my contacts in the City of London - if they are wrong don't shoot the messenger (i.e. me!).
Geoff.
keving

Post by keving »

Geoff, last Sunday Theresa May hinted at "hard" Brexit. The £ fell. Did your chums predict that?
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Strikes me as pretty much what I expected Brexit "to mean" and exactly the position to assume before negotiations start. Both Britain and Europe need access to each others markets - the consequences of that not happening are dire for both sides.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

I have no idea what this obsession with Sterling is - stock market is booming and I can guarantee German car manufacturers are starting to feel the effects as much as anyone. It will also make coming to the UK looking for work and benefits to send back home less attractive- which is one of the problems that led to the vote in the first place

Britain has a growing economy , full employment (or as close as it gets these days) low inflation (bordering on non existent) and all in all is coping with the Brexit vote extremely well. Compare that to vast swathes of the Eurozone where they actually are still experiencing deflation and rising unemployment. Does anyone really think these countries with unemployment around 20% can cope with a hit from Brexit :roll:

We have also this week had a few of the doomsday merchants not only admitting they got it wrong, but stating that Brexit is a bigger threat to the EU than the UK and stating that failure to strike a deal for the City will have catastrophic effects on European stability . Granted Mark Carney doesn't always get his arse and elbow in the right place, but even he can live and learn
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Conoflex wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 12:50 pm Granted Mark Carney doesn't always get his arse and elbow in the right place, but even he can live and learn
A broken clock, etc. ;)

I see Phil Hammond has come out fighting today - nice to see...
Phil Hammond wrote:If we have no access to the European market, if we are closed off, if Britain were to leave the European Union without an agreement on market access, then we could suffer from economic damage at least in the short-term.

In this case, we could be forced to change our economic model and we will have to change our model to regain competitiveness. And you can be sure we will do whatever we have to do.

The British people are not going to lie down and say, too bad, we’ve been wounded. We will change our model, and we will come back, and we will be competitively engaged.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Hopefully this is the start of the country pulling itself together and getting the best deal we can

The EU does not want us to leave and indeed cannot afford to have us leave

Once Cameron and Osborne failed with project fear it was pretty obvious along would come "project overturn the vote" or "project ignore the vote" - and that is probably what the EU is still hoping for. Oddly enough I think May is a match for them despite her remain position, and the EU snub directed at someone only complying with the democratic wishes of her country will hopefully have put a bit more steel in her resolve.

We still have all the remoaners bleating "but we haven't left yet" and to be honest it's all getting rather pathetic now. If we can actually get behind the decision and let the EU know that Britain is still a country with a pair of testicles and not a nation of brainwashed, spineless eunuchs like Clegg and Blair I think a lot of people might be pleasantly surprised by the deal we get :lol:

One thing is for sure, the EU needs to change and if Britain quitting is that catalyst then all the better
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Conoflex wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:32 pm One thing is for sure, the EU needs to change and if Britain quitting is that catalyst then all the better
It is difficult to see how they can cope without significant change...
Attachments
eu-£250-miillion (1).png
eu-£250-miillion (1).png (17.9 KiB) Viewed 5980 times
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Conoflex wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:32 pm Hopefully this is the start of the country pulling itself together and getting the best deal we can
Whilst I was in the remain camp, I have to agree with this ............. we had a democratic vote & the decision was to leave so we should get on with it & get the best we can! Remember, negotiatons are a two-way thing & neither side can afford to cut off its nose to spite its face, the economic consequencies are too great!

Shane
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

A simple question, to which the answer is probably obvious to some, but why all this fuss over the EU, when most of the things we buy in the UK, apart from food, are made in China anyway ?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Firefly wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 5:55 pm A simple question, to which the answer is probably obvious to some, but why all this fuss over the EU, when most of the things we buy in the UK, apart from food, are made in China anyway ?

Jackie
A very good question! :lol:

It is interesting that some claim that access to 'the single market' (a customs union) is essential to trade with the EU and we must therefore accept free movement and expect to pay a membership fee...

Yet China (and others) sell billions to the EU without accepting free movement or paying a membership fee...

Strange eh..?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Conoflex wrote: Sun Jan 15, 2017 1:32 pm Hopefully this is the start of the country pulling itself together and getting the best deal we can

The EU does not want us to leave and indeed cannot afford to have us leave

Once Cameron and Osborne failed with project fear it was pretty obvious along would come "project overturn the vote" or "project ignore the vote" - and that is probably what the EU is still hoping for. Oddly enough I think May is a match for them despite her remain position, and the EU snub directed at someone only complying with the democratic wishes of her country will hopefully have put a bit more steel in her resolve.

We still have all the remoaners bleating "but we haven't left yet" and to be honest it's all getting rather pathetic now. If we can actually get behind the decision and let the EU know that Britain is still a country with a pair of testicles and not a nation of brainwashed, spineless eunuchs like Clegg and Blair I think a lot of people might be pleasantly surprised by the deal we get :lol:

One thing is for sure, the EU needs to change and if Britain quitting is that catalyst then all the better
Anyone using the term "remoaners" is showing a less mature attitude than necessary,

As to having testicles, I'm sure Theresa May tries her best....

I was a voter for remain, but I don't moan about the process, if properly executed. So far, I've seen anything but cahaones, in our discussions, thoughts or attitude. On the contracy, I see only naivety, immaturity and an arrogant attitude that won't gain friends.

It's time we realised that we need the trade in Europe, as much as they do. They could live without the UK trade..... albeit with difficulty. We couldn't live without EU trade.

I have seen first hand, difficulties already coming up, caused by Brexit and the sooner we deal with it the better. Procrastination serves no purpose. Neither does petty name calling of any kind....
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

I don't like using the term remoaners, but when you look at the latest legal challenges to Brexit I really can't think of anything more suitable :roll:

The Gina Miller case is simply a ludicrous side show, despite the claims of upholding procedure

Even if she wins the Supreme Court case a simple resolution should be enough to see Article 50 invoked. However, the next step on her agenda is to try and insist that a resolution isn’t enough, it should require an Act of Parliament- why?- because that will require House of Lords approval and has the potential to delay the process for years. Fortunately the House of Lords are realising which side their bread is buttered and are making noises to the effect that they won’t delay it (if it comes to that)

So all her legal challenges are ultimately futile- they are simply designed to delay and case damage.

Another case taking place in the Republic of Ireland about whether Article 50 can be reversed- this could ultimately involve the ECJ and is designed entirely with the intention reversing the result, or delaying it and causing uncertainty to try and derail it (all harmful to the UK’s prospects of getting a clean and swift break form the EU).

The challenge to make Brexit “illegal” under the terms of the Good Friday Agreement have already been thrown out in Northern Ireland

The “British Influence” a pro EU campaign group have lodged proceeding in the High Court trying to confuse the implications of leaving the EU with leaving the European Economic Area- no one, even the European Commission believes they have case , but they are doing this simply to delay and create uncertainty- it is that simple

We also have odious individuals like Blair pledging millions for a fighting fund to reverse the decision (although his involvement should be the kiss of death for the Remain Campaign in general :lol: ) .Even so I have no doubt there will be more spurious court cases raised as the existing ones fail.

So don't tell me not to indulge in petty name calling whilst a clear attempt to overthrow a perfectly democratic decision is still being attempted that has nothing to do with justice or process, but simply about politics of a most unpleasant kind

If you are being honest when you say "I have seen first hand, difficulties already coming up, caused by Brexit and the sooner we deal with it the better. Procrastination serves no purpose" you should be shocked by some of the legal cases and the people involved
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

BBC News online reports about 30 mins ago - the pound is on its way down again....

Geoffrey - go and tell your mates to sort it out please :-)
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

PhotoLady wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:00 am BBC News online reports about 30 mins ago - the pound is on its way down again....

Geoffrey - go and tell your mates to sort it out please :-)
Until anything happens there will always be uncertainty, and uncertainty about uncertainty. And now I am Donald Rumsfeld.

I don't think the announced plans will necessarily be the actual outcome though. They are naturally going to play hardball.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Pretty much every major trading country/bloc has been doing their utmost to keep their currency value as low as possible (within limits) for years

Sterling has been over valued for some time and the current fall is pretty much as one would have anticipated given the decision to leave. It has been steeper than expected owing to speculation based on doomsday predictions, political uncertainty owing to Cameron's decision to quit and the Bank of England's needless interference post vote.

It's fall however will promote "staycations", external tourism and investment, start to correct imbalances in the trading accounts, produce higher levels of inflation necessary with fiat currencies to depreciate debt (and needed if interest rates are ever to rise from their ridiculous lows, which in turn will produce upward pressure on Sterling), boost domestic business in general and ultimately will produce a new equilibrium best suited to the majority of people in the UK and the UK economy

Ultimately the currency will settle at whatever level promotes maximum growth and minimum unemployment- "weak" and "strong" are misleading terms in currency. What you want is the "optimal" level, but you are better having an undervalued currency (that you are calling "weak" ) than an overvalued one (that you suggest is "strong") The German economy is "strong" because for them their currency is undervalued !

Compare the UK to say the likes of Spain stuck with deflation, debts they cannot service or deflate away and unemployment at 21% and you might begin to realise the importance of a floating currency as something other than an economic "store of value"

We have seen all this before when Britain left the ERM in 1992- it heralded one of the longest periods of sustained growth and prosperity in the UK's history with a much lower value Sterling That in't groundless speculation and conjecture of the sort we are currently seeing- that is historical fact
Houdinibun

Post by Houdinibun »

I voted remain but accept the democratic vote - not all of us are remoaners. In any political debate there are at least 2 sides, often multiple to be honest, and i do not believe you should be derogatory to somone purely because they believe the opposite of you
keving

Post by keving »

Well, I'm in favour of the Norway model! At Gatwick and just bought a litre of Bacardi in duty free for £11. It would have been £15 had Norway been in the EU!
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

It's as good a reason as any ! :lol:
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Conoflex

Post by Conoflex »

Houdinibun wrote: Mon Jan 16, 2017 1:30 pm I voted remain but accept the democratic vote - not all of us are remoaners. In any political debate there are at least 2 sides, often multiple to be honest, and i do not believe you should be derogatory to somone purely because they believe the opposite of you
I am not saying you are remoaners, but you have to a special kind of myopic to deny the existence of such a creature- because there are lots of them about and they are doing their damnedest to try and subvert the democratic process.

Britain has chosen to leave the EU - for better or worse.

I had an open mind about the whole process (although my leanings were always "out" after Blair made a mockery of democracy with his promised referendum on the Constitutional Treaty that never was), but I was open to persuasion if someone could come along and tell me what the EU proposed to do about chronic unemployment, unsustainable national debts and stagnant economic growth rates that plague most of the Eurozone- and guess what, no one either publicly or privately could come up with any of those- so out I voted

I hear of all the "freedoms" we stand to lose by leaving- whoop dee doo .

I was more concerned about the fact any "say" I might want to have on how my future was to be determined via the means of democratic accountability was being subjected to an on-going process of being taken away from me- and that is the most fundamental "freedom" you can have