The difference between Corbyn and May

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
outasite

Re: The difference between Corbyn and May

Post by outasite »

The difference between Corbyn and May...... One is a man, one is a woman. One thinks he is PM and one IS the PM. They are both politicians and are both awash with dosh. One has principals and the other has principals. Both are politicians which makes both of them totally out of touch with the ordinary working man/woman in the UK. Both have principals which neither actually keep to unless it is in their - not those who voted them in - interests. Both can make a statement direct to a camera which plays it to the Great British Public and the very next day deny totally that they said what they said. They are politicians and because one went to a ceremony commemorating a great battle, cutting into her holiday, ( I have to wonder who paid the fare to and from her holiday) and the other didn't a great hooh haah is begun.
The end result is.......they are so out of touch with the Great British Public it matters not a jot what they do do or do not do. They are, like every politico on the planet, in it for themselves and if Corbyn chooses not to attend a ceremony it is because he believes the Party will stand by his principals which will get him brownie points. And if May does attend it is because she believes in brownie points coming her way as well.
Really...... forget fool all of the people all of the time, or some such...they care not a jot who they fool, upset or please. Never have and never will. Either of them.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Poppy wrote: Thu Aug 03, 2017 8:56 pm I agree Hudswell. Joseph K you should be ashamed of yourself to call the queen what you called her. She my friend is 92 I believe and you expect her to attend? She is still working which I think is amazing and as Royal said she was represented by senior Royals. You have no argument and Corbyn has no ,I repeat no excuse for failing to honour our dead. Shame on him.
Slow down Poppy, I said no such thing. If you read my post again, you will see I was asking a question not making a statement. My point being that if people thought Corbyn was a git for not attending, did they think the queen was as well? The subtext being that often people base their views solely on their political beliefs, and that can raise inconsistencies.

I am a republican, but if we have to have a queen, then the present one does the job pretty well by saying nothing and not doing anything controversial (Diana's death being the exception). I would never call her names, as it isn't my style. I prefer to argue based on fact not insult.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 5:23 pm No JK I base my statement on my general opinion of the man, he is dishonerable to the core, a lier and a fraud, promoted well above his pay grade...and yes I am a Royalist, proud of my country, and my Queen, who has not put a step wrong throughout her reign, and in that I include the Diana affair. If Mr Corbyn did indeed turn down an invitation to the Passandale memorial events, then shame on him...being a pacifist does not mean you turn your back on those that paid the ultimate sacrifice in defence of their country...many pacifists serve in other ways, and for that they have my utmost respect...Mr Corbyn has shown himself to be the hypocrite he is.
Why don't you say what you really mean? At least Corbyn is a helluva sight more honest and honourable than Theresa May whose target is to drag the UK to the nadir of what is possible, largely by lying or doing nothing. She reminds me of the monkey saying, 'When I feel like working, I sit in a corner and let the feeling pass'.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hudswell

How true, many men joined the RAMC rather than kill their fellow man, and many died, were injured, and/or mentally scarred for life by the experience. Corbyn is no pacifist, he's a liar who cannot gain attention by his noble actions, he does non, rather he gains it by his disgraceful behaviour. He openly calls terrorists his friends, says it all really.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Aug 06, 2017 8:00 pm
Mr Corbyn has proved himself to be a hypocrite, a lier and a fraud....he has openly supported terrorist organisations and is determined to undermine the fabric of my nation....given the choice...oh, wait there is no choice....
Mrs May has proved herself to be a hypocrite, a liar and a fraud....she has openly supported terrorist organisations and is determined to undermine the fabric of my nation....given the choice...oh, wait there is no choice....

Ergo, there is nobody who can lead the nation!
Royal

Post by Royal »

Devil wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:47 am Mrs May...has openly supported terrorist organisations...
Examples or proof please Devil.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Theresa May's alliance with the DUP is probably closer to terrorism than Corbyn's supposed government-sponsored talks with Sinn Fein. In the 1980s, the party was involved in setting up the paramilitary movements Third Force and Ulster Resistance, with the support of Ian Paisley, the party leader. They were responsible for many civilian murders.
Most striking about the Conservatives’ new stablemates is that after running a campaign based on fearmongering and whipping up false hysteria about Jeremy Corbyn and his alleged IRA sympathies, the Conservatives will enter government with the DUP, which is backed by the Ulster Defence Association (UDA).

The UDA is less known in England than the IRA, largely because they killed Northern Irish Catholics during the Troubles, which didn’t make the news as often as the killing of English people or security personnel. The UDA is a violent loyalist paramilitary group, which is still active today. Just weeks ago, it murdered a man in broad daylight in Northern Ireland. The man was shot dead in a Sainsbury’s car park in front of horrified shoppers and his three-year-old son.
(Independent)
outasite

Post by outasite »

Bet she's never been to a terrorists funeral.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

"Alleged IRA sympathies"? Not "alleged" according to Wikipedia.

[Wikipedia]:
In the run up to the 2017 General Election, Corbyn said that he had "never met the IRA", although Shadow Home Secretary Diane Abbott later clarified that although he had met members of the IRA, "he met with them in their capacity as activists in Sinn Fein".[54][55]
Corbyn was arrested in 1986 for protesting against the trial of a group of IRA members including the Brighton Bomber Patrick Magee. Magee was convicted of murdering five people and the group were convicted of planning a "massive bombing campaign in London and seaside resorts". After refusing police requests to move from outside the court, Corbyn and the other protesters were arrested for obstruction and held for five hours before being released on bail, but were not charged.[56] Following the 1987 Loughgall ambush, in which 8 IRA members were killed while trying to blow up a police station, he attended a commemoration by the Wolfe Tone Society and stated "I’m happy to commemorate all those who died fighting for an independent Ireland’.[57][58]
In the early 1990s, MI5 opened a file on Corbyn over fears his IRA links meant he could have been a threat to national security.[59][60] The Metropolitan Police's Special Branch was also monitoring Corbyn at the time, and continued to monitor him for two decades over fears he was attempting to "undermine democracy".[61][62] According to The Sunday Times, following research Irish and Republican archives, Corbyn was involved in over 72 events connected with Sinn Féin, or other pro-republican groups, during the period of the IRA's paramilitary campaign.[63]
Corbyn supported the campaign to overturn the convictions of Jawad Botmeh and Samar Alami for the 1994 bombing of the Israeli Embassy in London; Botmeh and Alami had admitted possessing explosives and guns but denied they were for use in Britain. The convictions were upheld by the High Court of Justice in 2001 and by the European Court of Human Rights in 2007.[64][65] [Wikipedia]
Royal

Post by Royal »

Devil wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:22 am Theresa May's alliance with the DUP is probably closer to terrorism than Corbyn's supposed government-sponsored talks with Sinn Fein.
You really should desist from making such unsubstantiated and hyperbolic comments. The DUP is not (and never has been) either a paramilitary organisation nor a terrorist organisation and has never been proscribed.

There is a world of difference between the IRA - a previously proscribed terrorist organisation avowed to break up the union through violence, intimidation and indiscriminate murder and the DUP a political party which was formed essentially to represent the views of the people of Northern Ireland who value the union, celebrate their ‘Britishness’ and wish to remain part of the UK.

Corbyn has sympathised with and attended the memorial services/funerals of IRA terrorists who have tried (often successfully) to murder the legitimate security forces of the state as well as innocent civilians. He has shared a platform (knowingly) with IRA murderers, whom he probably sees as ‘freedom fighters’. It's a pity that the freedom he currently has to retain such views was defended and won by those who died at Passchendaele - people he recently failed to honour.
Devil wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:22 am In the 1980s, the party was involved in setting up the paramilitary movements Third Force and Ulster Resistance, with the support of Ian Paisley, the party leader. They were responsible for many civilian murders.
I am not going to defend any paramilitary organisation at all - they are all wrong in my opinion, but having been involved in various capacities with Northern Ireland over the last 44 years, I respectfully suggest that you need to understand what was going on there during the ‘Troubles’ in order to understand why anyone there saw fit to join such organisations. As far as Third Force or Ulster Resistance being ‘responsible for many civilian murders’ - another unsubstantiated comment - I do not know of one single murder by either of these organisations, despite having researched it before replying to your comment. Perhaps you could enlighten me as to the source of your allegation?

Devil wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:22 am
Most striking about the Conservatives’ new stablemates is that after running a campaign based on fearmongering and whipping up false hysteria about Jeremy Corbyn and his alleged IRA sympathies, the Conservatives will enter government with the DUP, which is backed by the Ulster Defence Association (UDA).

The UDA is less known in England than the IRA, largely because they killed Northern Irish Catholics during the Troubles, which didn’t make the news as often as the killing of English people or security personnel. The UDA is a violent loyalist paramilitary group, which is still active today. Just weeks ago, it murdered a man in broad daylight in Northern Ireland. The man was shot dead in a Sainsbury’s car park in front of horrified shoppers and his three-year-old son.
(Independent)
This quote from the Guardian does nothing to advance your argument that the DUP is either a terrorist organisation or has terrorist links. I have no problem with what the article says about the UDA, which was certainly a proscribed terrorist organisation, but the Guardian piece simply fails to show any substantive link between the UDA and the DUP. Perhaps you can enlighten me on this?

What I do know, is that during the 2017 General Election, three proscribed terrorist organisations - including the UDA - ‘endorsed’ the DUP to the unionist electorate. In rejecting this, Arlene Foster responded:

"We did not seek that statement, we did not seek endorsement from any paramilitary organisation and indeed I fundamentally reject an endorsement from anyone that’s involved with paramilitarism or criminality."

The Guardian (and you) will need to do better.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Hee! Hee! The flurry of replies, misquotes and untruths that my post raised proves my point. :roll:
(Independent)

This quote from the Guardian
When you can't even read the line above what was written shows the inadequacy of your arguments! :shock:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Devil,

Correct me if I'm wrong, well you can't resist can you, " can't even read the line ABOVE what was written". Wasn't it UNDERNEATH what was written ? :?

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Devil wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:40 pm Hee! Hee! The flurry of replies, misquotes and untruths that my post raised proves my point. :roll:
(Independent)

This quote from the Guardian
When you can't even read the line above what was written shows the inadequacy of your arguments! :shock:
My mistake - I apologise.

However, I cannot see how mistakenly writing 'Guardian' instead of 'Independent' makes my actual points to be misquotes or untruths or somehow inadequate.

Now how about addressing the issues? What points have you 'proven' by pointing out such a simple error? Let's deal with substantive stuff. You asserted that the DUP is a terrorist organisation or have links to it. I have refuted this. Yet all you can say is 'Hee! Hee! It was the Independent, not the Guardian.

Come on, Devil, where's your case?
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I truly believe that Devil is a very astute and intelligent person but he is allowing his hatred of the Tories and Theresa May to cloud his judgement.
kingfisher

Post by kingfisher »

"Where ignorance is bliss....."
Mark

Post by Mark »

Tis folly to be wise.
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Poppy wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2017 9:49 pm I truly believe that Devil is a very astute and intelligent person but he is allowing his hatred of the Tories and Theresa May to cloud his judgement.
Wrong! I hate neither the Tories or Theresa! I just think that Theresa has done the UK no favours by her inability to think beyond a few slogans or to make important decisions. As it is, the Tories have shown that, a year+ after the vote, they have a) made little real progress on Brexit; b) very undesirable bedfellows from the other side of the North Channel; c) annoyed the Scots; d) no unity of thought; e) shown that they are incapable of forethought; f) the ability to change direction at the drop of a hat.

My judgement is quite unclouded. Ye shall know them by their fruits.

And just to put the matter straight, I'm not really pro-Corbyn, but he is certainly the lesser of two evils, even though you rabid Tories paint him as the Devil Incarnate and May as the Second Coming!
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

AH but Devil do you agree about the astute and intelligent bit? :D
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

The DUP have held strong historical links with Loyalist Paramilitary Groups since the beginning of ' The Troubles ', specifically the Loyalist group, ' Ulster Resistance ' which was founded by a collection of individuals who went on to become prominent DUP Politicians.

Peter Robinson, for example, who was DUP Leader & NI's First Minister until Jan. 2016, ( who resigned over a scandal ),
Was an active member of Ulster Resistance.

One of the things the group did was collaborate with other terrorist organisations such as the UVF, ( Ulster Volunteer Force ), to smuggle arms into the UK, including RPG Rocket Launchers.

Noel Little is the father of Emma Pengelly-Little, the current DUP MP for Belfast South, he was a soldier in the Ulster Defence Regiment who was behind a plan to import hundreds of AK47 Assault Rifles into the North for the Ulster Resistance, the UDA & the UDF.

In 1989, he was arrested by French Intelligence in Paris with two other Loyalists, Free Presbyterian Minister, ( Ian Paisley's church ),James King & British Army Reserve Weapons Instructor Samuel Quinn, as they negotiated handing over Surface to Air Missile Technology from the Shorts Factory in Belfast, to an Official from the Apartheid Regime, then in power in South Africa, in return for Pretoria sending guns to Loyalist Paramilitaries in N I.

Now unless we consider these items as the ' norm ' for a shopping list, it would be disingenuous NOT to concur that the DUP are indeed affiliated to Paramilitary Groups in N.I. :lol:
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Poppy wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2017 11:04 am AH but Devil do you agree about the astute and intelligent bit? :D
Of course! But you forgot to add in the modesty bit, as well! :lol: :lol:

In reality, as a very old man, my intelligence has plummeted over the past few years (I used to be in the Mensa test top 5 percentile, but I was intelligent enough not be a Mensa member!). I can't judge my astuteness! :twisted: