Permanent Partition?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
WHL

Re: Permanent Partition?

Post by WHL »

geoffreys wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:11 pm
WHL wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 10:24 am
Hudswell wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:19 am And your intelligent and resonable discussion is?
To ignore wind up merchant trolls ;)
But you don't!!?? If you don't like Hudswell (or anyone else on the forum) just mark them as "foes" then you won't see their posts.
Hudswell made some very good and valid points; if you disagree with those put up strong counter arguments.
As we say in Yorkshire: "put up or shut up".
Geoff.
Or as you say in Yorkshire, I'm not posting on here any more, O wait ,yes I am zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Jul 08, 2017 5:54 pm Or in WHL's case....."If you've nowt to say...say nowt"...
OR in Hudswells case....... I'm always right coz I says so :)
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:02 am Happy to debate WHL....I know it's a big word....D E B A T E....Look it up, Google maybe..or indeed a little free thought...oops too hard maybe..come on let's have a resonable chat...put your views on fe table...what exactly is the stumbling block? All these years? And no,solution? Why...? You have been here 30 years..please enlighten us..
Well I too would like to hear from WHL as to his reasoning behind the Cyprob, failure (again!) of the reunification talks, and lack of logic by both sides.
If they really just can't get on, then the 2-State solution seems to be the only way forward - otherwise we can expect another 43 years of bickering.
Perhaps WHL could please tell us if he likes the suggestion of a 2-State solution, and if not why not?
Geoff.
Royal

Post by Royal »

It seems to me that the two state solution (ideally in a loose federation) is the only realistic way ahead. I further believe that this would be supported by TCs and GCs on both sides of the present border and that most other problems, like compensation for seized land could be sorted out in the fullness of time. Of course, all TCs are de facto EU citizens and are (even now) entitled to EU passports and all of the benefits which that brings with it.

The sticking point to the talks this time is the intransigence of Turkey. It is totally insistent in keeping its troops in the TRNC which as a foreign power is a stumbling block. It seems that it is also insisting on the EU’s 4 Freedoms for Turkish nationals (i.e. the free movement of goods, service, capital and labour) across the whole island. Turkey’s bottom line is that as Greeks can freely move to the RoC, then so should Turks. However, as Turkey, unlike Greece, is not a member of the EU, this is an impossible demand.

A solution will be possible, but probably not while Erdogan wields power in Turkey.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Royal wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 11:28 am It seems to me that the two state solution (ideally in a loose federation) is the only realistic way ahead. I further believe that this would be supported by TCs and GCs on both sides of the present border and that most other problems, like compensation for seized land could be sorted out in the fullness of time. Of course, all TCs are de facto EU citizens and are (even now) entitled to EU passports and all of the benefits which that brings with it.

The sticking point to the talks this time is the intransigence of Turkey. It is totally insistent in keeping its troops in the TRNC which as a foreign power is a stumbling block. It seems that it is also insisting on the EU’s 4 Freedoms for Turkish nationals (i.e. the free movement of goods, service, capital and labour) across the whole island. Turkey’s bottom line is that as Greeks can freely move to the RoC, then so should Turks. However, as Turkey, unlike Greece, is not a member of the EU, this is an impossible demand.

A solution will be possible, but probably not while Erdogan wields power in Turkey.
To be fair the Turkish side (Turkey + TRNC) DID offer to reduce their troops over a period of time down to 950; the problem at the Swiss talks was that Pres Nik wanted that in writing, but did not offer anything in writing himself (i.e. his widely reported 6 proposals).
And so it goes on - no talks will ever find a solution whilst the present generation is still alive.
BTW, regarding troops, don't forget there are Greek and British troops on the south side.
Geoff.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 12:26 pm Sorry Geoff, but you can't put the British Troops in the same catagory as the Turkish or Greek...British troops are legally deployed on the island and it would be wrong to include them in any negotions regarding reunification of the island.
OK, well regards the British troops I will concede (in that they do not support either side)..
But what about the mainland Greek troops Hudswell? Surely they can be equated (if not numerically then morally + legally); in the event of hostilities surely they would support the GCs?
Geoff.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Why are TCs given EU passports? With partition, it should mean no concessions to the North.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:47 pm Why are TCs given EU passports? With partition, it should mean no concessions to the North.
A TC friend of mine who is 82 and was born in Famagusta was given a British passport because at the time he was born Cyprus was a British Colony. Before he retired he was a Merchant Seaman for P&O; he receives a British State Pension having paid his N.I. contributions.
Geoff.
Miloman

Post by Miloman »

WHL, I've come to the conclusion you are not a nice person. You attacked in a nasty way, Geoff who asked a totally innocent question. Then you went on to attack Hudswell who is much nearer the truth of the history than you are! You have a big chip Pal.
Not nice.
Previously MofArodes on CL
Royal

Post by Royal »

Jimgward wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 1:47 pm Why are TCs given EU passports? With partition, it should mean no concessions to the North.
When Cyprus joined the EU, its membership was applicable to the whole of Cyprus and Cypriot people - whether GC or TC and whether living in the RoC or TRNC. Any Cypriot living in the TRNC is therefore entitled to a Cypriot/EU passport and the benefits it brings. The EU, however, insists that any Point Of Entry (POE) within the 28 member states must be controlled (for customs and other purposes) by the legitimate government which is currently limited to the RoC government. That's why when flying from Ercan, you must land in Turkey first before onward travel to another country as Ercan is not a recognised POE.
Lofos-5

Post by Lofos-5 »

Good overview from The Economist posted in the Paphos News section.
We have the opposite of a win-win situation in my opinion.

A.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Miloman wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:38 pm WHL, I've come to the conclusion you are not a nice person. You attacked in a nasty way, Geoff who asked a totally innocent question. Then you went on to attack Hudswell who is much nearer the truth of the history than you are! You have a big chip Pal.
Not nice.
Miloman, your breaking my heart pal, your have me in tears soon, :roll: I think your find it was me that was attacked first...as for Geoffrey his the biggest wind up merchant on here, lights the blue touch paper, then plays the innocent, as for the other guy, I think being in the Army for so many years, his like a robot..spouting the official line everytime., but its sweet you want to hold their hands, and look after them :lol:
WHL

Post by WHL »

Colonel Blimp.... tries to be funny :roll:
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

There will always be those who do not wish to debate, they post to annoy and insult people. Nothing annoys them more than being ignored. :D

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Well said Jackie.

Like.
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

Jackie

So very true.

Rita
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

WHL wrote: Mon Jul 10, 2017 9:44 am
Miloman wrote: Sun Jul 09, 2017 3:38 pm WHL, I've come to the conclusion you are not a nice person. You attacked in a nasty way, Geoff who asked a totally innocent question. Then you went on to attack Hudswell who is much nearer the truth of the history than you are! You have a big chip Pal.
Not nice.
Miloman, your breaking my heart pal, your have me in tears soon, :roll: I think your find it was me that was attacked first...as for Geoffrey his the biggest wind up merchant on here, lights the blue touch paper, then plays the innocent, as for the other guy, I think being in the Army for so many years, his like a robot..spouting the official line everytime., but its sweet you want to hold their hands, and look after them :lol:
How about answering my question as to why you think the GCs would close the crossing points if TRNC became a part of Turkey?
Where is your evidence for that statement?
BTW, I am NOT winding anyone up, just trying to figure out what might happen next; all expats could be affected.
If you have info PLEASE SHARE IT.
Thank you,
Geoff.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The issue is what happen with partition.

In that's case, the North will. I longer be part of the EU, UNLESS RoC and other European members recognise the North as a separate state AND the EU allows the new state to join the EU.

Otherwise there will need to be manned crossing points with passport control and the North residents will be ineligible for EU movement.
geoffreys

Post by geoffreys »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 pm The issue is what happen with partition.

In that's case, the North will. I longer be part of the EU, UNLESS RoC and other European members recognise the North as a separate state AND the EU allows the new state to join the EU.

Otherwise there will need to be manned crossing points with passport control and the North residents will be ineligible for EU movement.
In other words no change; there are manned crossing points with passport controls now!
Geoff.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

geoffreys wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:31 pm
Jimgward wrote: Wed Jul 12, 2017 1:04 pm The issue is what happen with partition.

In other words no change; there are manned crossing points with passport controls now!
Geoff.
Yes, but TCs will lose EU passports