So, there is a Magic Money Tree after all?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
PhotoLady

So, there is a Magic Money Tree after all?

Post by PhotoLady »

It's managed to "magic" up £1bn to spend all on its' own :shock:

The Conservatives have reached an agreement with the Democratic Unionists which will see them support Theresa May's minority government.
The deal, which comes two weeks after the election resulted in a hung Parliament, will see the 10 DUP MPs back the Tories in key Commons votes.
There will be £1bn extra for Northern Ireland over the next two years.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-40403434
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Jimgward

Re: So, there is a Magic Money Tree after all?

Post by Jimgward »

I'll be gobsmacked if other 'items' were not committed to....

The DUP has always been a party of demands....
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Isn't there a law against bribery and corruption?
kingsdale

Post by kingsdale »

yes, but since they don't worry about 'misconduct in public office' ie lying to the voters, why should they worry about that??
kingsdale

Post by kingsdale »

aside from the lies, bribery and corruption, it puts the good Friday agreement at risk, you can hardly call the uk government an impartial arbiter now if Teresa and Arlene are in bed together.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Would Labour do the same, you bet they would..didn't the Liberals cozy up with the Torys?.... ...nothing will ever change....If you believe Politicians then more fool you.
Pete G

Post by Pete G »

kingsdale wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:07 pm aside from the lies, bribery and corruption, it puts the good Friday agreement at risk, you can hardly call the uk government an impartial arbiter now if Teresa and Arlene are in bed together.
Oh, is this a different DUP to the one that Labour tried to do a deal with in 2010 and 2015?

Sorry, didn't realise
kingsdale

Post by kingsdale »

The document is quite fair, and I don't think anyone in NI would object to the additional funding. But there are issues on which they still need the uk government to be seen to be impartial to help resolve. If I were a republican, would I now trust the uk government when they 'need' the DUP to maintain their fragile hold on office. As for Adams and his cronies comment, having spent a considerable time in the North during the troubles, there are extremists in both camps even if both camps now have a veneer of respectability and you are just as likely to have loyalists who will take advantage, thinking they are untouchable as you are to find republicans pushing against what they think is the uk siding with the DUP.

And if I'd been asked the same question in 2010 and 2015, I would have said the same thing. it wasn't appropriate then and isn't now irrespective of who is in office in the uk
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

I do not have enough understanding of the deal to comment but clearly it is a public document for all to see, those other parties will peruse every word.

It does come across, to the ordinary member of the public, as a bribe for services yet to be rendered.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

kingsdale wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 4:42 pm The document is quite fair, and I don't think anyone in NI would object to the additional funding. But there are issues on which they still need the uk government to be seen to be impartial to help resolve. If I were a republican, would I now trust the uk government when they 'need' the DUP to maintain their fragile hold on office. As for Adams and his cronies comment, having spent a considerable time in the North during the troubles, there are extremists in both camps even if both camps now have a veneer of respectability and you are just as likely to have loyalists who will take advantage, thinking they are untouchable as you are to find republicans pushing against what they think is the uk siding with the DUP.

And if I'd been asked the same question in 2010 and 2015, I would have said the same thing. it wasn't appropriate then and isn't now irrespective of who is in office in the uk
Well said!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell, while you state the obvious difference in that Sinn Fein are republicans and ultimately in favour of a united Ireland, you show bias previously with;

"The Good Friday Agreement will only be at risk because Adams and his cronies will be frothing at the mouth determined to make mischief....no change there then.."

The current Sinn Fein makes no moves to try to bring around any vote on joining with the Republic, nor would the Republic encourage them to... Their major gripe is in not pledging allegiance to the Royalty and Union, which at least is less hypocritical than many!

Within a decade or so, the republican vote will overturn the loyalist vote, yet I am 100% sure Sinn Fein will still not push for a united Ireland - as they know the want is not there even amongst republican voters.

As to the DUP - don't assume they are simply a NI Unionist party. They are founded by terrorist, are still very closely linked to the UDA and others and have more extreme views than any other political party in the UK.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Orange Order asks DUP to use Drumcree march in talks with May

Supporters of the DUP are demanding Theresa May allow a banned loyalist march as part of an agreement by the Northern Irish party to prop up a minority Conservative government.

The Portadown Loyal Orange Lodge (LOL), who are currently prevented from marching in the flashpoint Gavaghy Road in following a long history of sectarian violence, have put out a statement amid speculation as to what concessions the DUP could demand in return for striking a deal with the Tories.

Orangemen were banned from marching through the nationalist area of the mainly loyalist town 20 years ago following repeated riots during the late 1990s and early 2000s. Protests against the ban culminated in 1998 with the shocking murders of three young boys after their house was firebombed in a loyalist arson attack......

(jim) I am hearing now tonight, that this march may be allowed to go ahead, after 20 years..... If so, shame on them all...
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:05 am I would be disappointed too Jim, where did you hear this..it was bandied about initially but the DUP made it clear that sectarian issues would be largely off the discussion table...which included marches

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... id-trimble

Oh and are you accusing the founder of the DUP, Rev Ian Paisley of being a terrorist? Having spent a considerable amount of time during my military career during the troubles I am fully aware of the links between the Political parties in the province and terrorist organisations...some linked more closely than others...And when you mention extreme views I suspect you mean their views on Homosexuality and Abortion, which whilst many will find unacceptable those views reflect the views of the NI Citizens that voted for them...
It is well recorded that the founders, including Ian Paisley (I won't call him reverend as he was self-appointed) were actually members of terrorist organisations or at the minimum, supporters thereof.

Trimble - although Paisley is credited by many, with being a HUGE part of the troubles in Northern Ireland - was a known member, as were most of the DUP. Paisley stirred more trouble in NI than most and I see him in the same light as McGuiness.

AND, do the electorate in NI really share the views of their leadership? I very much doubt the modern (under 50) ones do....

As to you spending time there, I presume you mean as an employee of the forces, which inevitably leaves you biased. The British Army ay have entered NI as a neutral force, but they very quickly ( and I know there are many reasons why) became a force aligned to one side.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 am Paisley was not a terrorist...however McGuiness and Adams were....
Definition.....

Paisley almost certainly never pulled a trigger....

I don't believe Adams did either..

McGuiness, yes.

However, many believe that not only was Paisley as member, he was a prime member of terrorist organisations and not only that, stirred up more antagonism and thence more conflict, than nay other person in NI.

Pedantics
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:38 am Paisley was not a terrorist...however McGuiness and Adams were....
Love a bit of Humor :lol:
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Now you are being just silly Lloyd. The country elected the conservatives albeit with a minority government. That election means that the country elected the Government to make the decisions on how to govern the country. In other words, and I should not have to spell this out, we have had our electoral say.
Are you seriously suggesting that the Government has to obtain the permission of the electorate before they take any decision?
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I just hope the tassels on the Orange sash, Theresa is hanging onto, don’t get tangled around her wrist!
josef k

Post by josef k »

It's interesting that David Trimble, the former First Minister, said the Troubles would probably not have occurred without Ian Paisley.

What really interests me though is the money being thrown around by the Conservatives. To step back for a moment, the election was an attempt by the Conservatives to bolster their presence in parliament. When this didn't work they did a deal with the DUP. Note, neither exercise was by the government, it was by the Conservative party. This can be seen by the fact that the agreement with the DUP was signed by the two party Chief Whips, not the party leaders.
However these two activities didn't come without a cost. Running the election cost the country around 143 million.The deal with the DUP is costing 1 billion. Remember, this is spending to help the Conservative party, paid for by the UK tax payers. Surely that can't be right?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

To go further back, what about the LIb/Lab pact ? Labour managed to get the Liberals to join them to keep them in power, I never voted Liberal again !
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
OhSusana

Post by OhSusana »

Devil wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 3:57 pm Isn't there a law against bribery and corruption?
Naaah...
I billion pounds is just a "statistic". Ask Joseph Stalin.
(Admittedly Stalin was "only" talking about "millions" dead. )