Corbyn and his lack of respect.

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: Corbyn and his lack of respect.

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:58 pm As a royalist, as someone who respects my heritage, the history of my country..I do sometimes find it slightly irritating that some, some who have perhaps,conributed little to our society, can find the time, to take cheap pot shots at a family that have upheld the dignity, the traditions, that have set an example, through good times and bad...of a country that some may wish to fail...you perhaps think you are being clever, sat at your keyboards...googling "the facts" because you are blatantly not clever enough to form an opinion of your own...the Monarcy is not "quaint" it is entwined in the fabric of our society..it has and will provides a focus, rallying point it, like it or not defines us as a country...Repubilcans of course have a right to voice their opinions ...Corbyn did not have to bow his head...he could have chosen to show repeat for a monarch who has served her country throughout her life, he chose not to...it does not demonstrate strength of character, it demonstrates a lack understanding of what the Monarcy gives...and continues to give.
You start acknowledging that others have a right to have republican views, then resort to cheap shots. ‘CONTRIBUTED LITTLE TO OUR SOCIETY’ ‘blatantly not clever enough..’

Your argument therefore fails.

I respect your right to be a monarchist and won’t resort to personal negative slants.
WHL

Post by WHL »

josef k wrote: Thu Jun 22, 2017 3:21 pm I think there is a difference between refusing to sing and choosing not to sing. He is, like me, a republican. I don't sing it or stand. I sit quietly whilst others who choose to sing get on with it. Neither would I bow to the Queen if I ever met her. I don't bow to anyone, I look them in the eye.

Jeremy Corbyn has principles that he sticks to, and has conducted himself with respect and dignity at all the remembrance services he has attended. I really don't think there is a need for you to insult him just because he doesn't bow and scrape.

Samuel Johnson said that patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.
Great Post, well said
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I'm not a royalist and will never be one. I have no need to bow or scrape neither did I when I worked in the Court Service as the High Court Judges passed me by in the back corridors of the building, even though we were expected to bow our heads.

The royals simply exist as part of my day to day life but that's as far as it goes. I'm sure that one day, it will all disappear. Then the great British public will have to find something else to look up to, if that's actually what they do.

I mostly feel the younger generations aren't too interested in the royals, as such. They're more bothered about the money that appears to be being wasted when they feel it could be spent on something better.

Saying all that, I feel no ill will to the royal family - I'm mainly disinterested. I would never wish them harm and I most certainly would not want the Queen's job for love nor money. I think she's put enough years into a pretty thankless task. It's about time she had some time to herself..... I'm sure she would appreciate being able to sit at home in her PJs and slippers, without having to put her "face" on before leaving the comfort of her bedroom or living room.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

Even young Harry admitted the other day, none of them want to be Royals, time for this Dinosaur of an institution faded into the History books.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Hudswell

Quite so, but he was too busy trying to convince the crowds at Glastonbury to vote for him, respect ? he wouldn't know it if it jumped up and hit him in the face !

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I happen to be one who would happily disband the royals tomorrow, but realise I am in a minority in the UK, it won't happen in my lifetime and therefore I won't continually try to assert my views on everyone...

However, there are aspects to the royals that are completely wrong, antiquated and not suitable for a modern age.

The Queen is one of the richest people on earth. A wealth gained from her ancestors having taken it from some others' ancestors. I therefore object to vast sums of money being spent on places like Windsor Castle and Buckingham Palace, unless they are opened largely to the public. (I know there is minimal access just now)

I would also disband any financial support for minor royals, including Edward, Andrew, Anne and their ilk, unless they 'earn' it - which I believe Anne does. As to their offspring? I admire how Anne's haven't taken royal titles, and earn money for themselves.

Andrew wants us to support his brood, including personal protection!

So, I'm happy that Queenie, Charlie and his kids do their bit.... but the rest can sling their privileged hooks!

BTW. I would really like to know, other than for traditional reasons, why people value the royals? I am at a loss, other than the quaint ceremonial tourist bits and the support for charities etc.
josef k

Post by josef k »

Firefly wrote: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:27 pm Hudswell

Quite so, but he was too busy trying to convince the crowds at Glastonbury to vote for him, respect ? he wouldn't know it if it jumped up and hit him in the face !

Jackie
Trying to convince? Viewing the video I would say that the crowd of tens of thousands didn't need convincing.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Jim

As much as I hate to say it, you are I believe saying what many people think. Certainly the minor royals should find employment and finance themselves. Her Majesty has certainly worked hard, and indeed still does for our country. I would love to see William succeed her, but I don't think that will happen.

Our Armed Forces are the best in the world, and in my view should be acknowledged and respected by our leaders, especially as they are responsible for sending them to war, any who do not, should not represent this country in any way. Corbyn has twice snubbed our Forces recently and in view of that amongst other things, he is unfit to be P.M.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

josef k

He still snubbed the Armed Forces Day celebrations.

If what you say is true, he didn't need to go to Glastonbury did he, personally I wouldn't cross the road to see him.

Jackie
outasite

Post by outasite »

If I saw him and his oppos McDonnell and Abbott drowning I would immediately notify the coast guard. Why, I would even put a first class stamp on the letter.
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

Our first "monarch " is probably, historically that is, Alfred the Great. King of Wessex. He's grandson become King of Angleland. I think, correct me if I am wrong, that the Saxons were invaders from Germany. Well, Germanic anyway. Moving on to 1066, William the Bastard was Norman. Normandy is in France but the Normans ancestors were Norsemen from Denmark and Norway. Vikings in other words. Moving on to William of Orange. A big jump I know. He was from Holland.

Our Royal Family are from all over Europe not just Britain or England. They occupy a position as head of state. Their power has been eroded because, historically, they have caused the death of a vast number of citizens that should never have been put in that position.

I love our current Royal family. They are a great asset to this country.

However, they should not command such power that says a person should bow to them. Those days are gone.

It is also a personal choice wether to sing the national anthem or not. I have never seen the Queen sing it!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

You missed Scotland, in the sources of Kings and Queens.....

The Stewart linkage, with James I of England and VI of Scotland. He was the last king of Scotland and the Stewarts Queen Anne (nice legs) was succeeded by a Hannover King. Religion, civil war and strife in these heady times, add in plagues and fires.... lovely.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

William Morris wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:32 pm
It is also a personal choice wether to sing the national anthem or not. I have never seen the Queen sing it!

Why would the Queen sing "God save me"? :?

Shane
William Morris

Post by William Morris »

ApusApus wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:25 pm
William Morris wrote: Tue Jun 27, 2017 12:32 pm

Why would the Queen sing "God save me"? :?

Shane
IT WAS A JOKE!!

"Oh, listen Phillip. Thry are playing my song."