O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
outasite

Re: O wad some Power the giftie gie us, to see oursels as ithers see us!

Post by outasite »

Road Warrior wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:06 pm The hits just keep on coming, "you are a most obnoxious person", attack, if you will, the post, not the person.

RW,
I stand by what I wrote. And isn't the reply from the lady a personal attack rather than to the post?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If you describe other people's posts as "positively nauseating" you should expect some form of retaliation.

Which is why this thread is in the Politics section, and not the "Politics for Moderates" section.

And is there any real difference between the post and the poster? If somebody says that the world is flat, is there any difference between these responses?

Response 1: Your post is idiotic

Response 2: You are an idiot
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

HIC you are of course correct in saying that the principal language of Cyprus is Greek but there is quite a difference between formal Greek and that which most Cypriots speak. In fact from my memory of my greek lessons a few years ago some words are completely different ( the word for cabbage for example comes to mind - there are more) and it is a fact from my Greek teacher that many Greeks from the mainland do not find the Cypriot version of the Greek language easy to understand
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Royal

Good post !

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 2:53 am
Hudswell wrote: Sat Jun 24, 2017 4:16 pmWe may not all speak fluent Cypriot...

Fluent Cypriot? I thought the principal native language of Cyprus was Greek? :?

You are right, HIC. some people im sorry to say are clueless to what happens in the country they choose to live in....anyway the Cyprus school system is Identical to the Greek one, ever book and lesson is the same ..the kid sitting in an Athens school room is having the same lesson as the Cypriot kid sitting in a school room in Nicosia/Larnaca etc.... now why the difference?..the easiest way to describe it is listen to someone in London and someone from say Newcastle different dialect, and they use some words in Newcastle that they dont in London for example Neet/night...bairn/child...etc. for example how many people from London would know what a Stotty is
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I speak French with a strong Brittany accent. I picked up my smattering while on numerous cycling holidays there. I was devastated when I went down sarf only to find they could barely understand me owing to my accent.

The Greek that Cypriots speak is different from the Greek that Greeks speak, in a similar fashion.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Just to mention my next door Cypriot neighbor and friend of thirty years, always invites us for family get together etc, his sister is married to a Greek, and when his with them the whole family switches from a Cypriot dialect and they talk in their posh Greek accent. Ive noticed this with other Cypriots, when their in the company of mainland Greeks
WHL

Post by WHL »

Hudswell wrote: Sun Jun 25, 2017 10:13 pm And your point is?
The more intelligent posters would of understood,..... never mind .
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL

Don't you mean would 'have' ?
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

My Greek teacher (from Athens) couldn't understand why I wanted to learn Greek when I was taking my lessons in UK before we came to live in Cyprus in 2004. He swore blind that Cypriots only spoke in their local dialect around Greek Greeks so they couldn't understand what they were saying....

When we arrived in Cyprus, we continued with the Greek language syllabus but our Cypriot born teacher also taught us how to pronounce in the Cypriot dialect, which helped a great deal.

No different than the dialects we use in the UK - it's no great mystery....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"