Is the Press..Especially the BBC determined to Bring the Government Down?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Poppy

Re: Is the Press..Especially the BBC determined to Bring the Government Down?

Post by Poppy »

Yes! They most definitely are and I detest it!
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

It seems that the BBC is biased towards whatever party you support ;)

Cheers

Steve
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It seems that Theresa May is trying to bring the government down.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
surreyboy

Post by surreyboy »

Sky News seems to have the knives out as well!
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 12:57 am Watching the BBC news, I am sorry but I have never seen such biast reporting...are the BBC actually trying to oust the PM? Unbelievable...
All media is biased - people only deny that the media they watch/read is biased because its bias agrees with their own.

Personally, I never watch or listen to the BBC or any other live TV. Haven't done for years. Nor do I regularly read any of the 'newspapers' that many get their information from - apart from researching news items of interest to me.

In addition, not only is the media biased, it attempts to create the news - rather than just factually report it - in order to fill its ravenous 24 hour news channels and web sites.

A dangerous mix, hundreds of biased 'journalists' attempting to create 'news' stories to fill endless news programmes and web pages...
boycott

Post by boycott »

Why has this person involved himself in this apart from playing politics? It seems that he is out to cause trouble rather than help the people.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/06 ... -movement/
The organiser of Friday's Grenfell Tower demonstration, in which protesters stormed Kensington Town Hall, is a Jeremy Corbyn-supporting political activist who was once arrested on suspicion of terrorism offences, The Daily Telegraph can reveal.
Businessman Mustafa al-Mansur, 39, launched a Facebook campaign urging people affected by the tragedy to gather at council offices on Friday afternoon, after discovering that a family friend had died in the tragedy.

But he is also a slick political campaigner, a vocal supporter of Labour leader Mr Corbyn, whose brother stood in last week’s election as an independent candidate in east London

Despite appealing for calm, the initially peaceful protest quickly descended into unrest, as dozens of people forced their way into the town hall of London’s richest borough, demanding answers from officials on what they were going to do about the disaster.

Mr Mansur, who lives in Haringey, north London, with his wife and family, was seen appealing for calm as he read out a statement from the council to the increasingly angry crowd.
Explaining why he had decided to organise the demonstration, he said he had been devastated, but angered, to discover that a friend, Rania Ibrahim, who lived on the 23rd floor of Grenfell Tower, had died.

It emerged last night that Mr Mansur, who used to be spokesman for the Finsbury Park Mosque, had been arrested 10 years ago by the Metropolitan Police on suspicion of terrorism offences. He was released without charge and later claimed he had been detained because his fingerprints had been found on a book about improvised explosive devices (IEDs), which belonged to a Bosnian associate.

Mr Mansur, who vehemently denied any wrongdoing, now works with a number of community groups aimed at improving race relations. He is the vice-chairman of the Association of Multicultural Communities, and also works with young people from black and ethnic minority groups, encouraging them to undertake volunteer work.

After graduating from Queen Mary University in London with a degree in electrical engineering, he took an MSc in Islamic banking and finance at Loughborough University. He praised Mr Corbyn recently on his Facebook page, writing: “Conservative supporters wish and dream that their leaders had an ounce of Jeremy Corbyn’s impeccable character, dignity and principled politics.”

In another post he added: “If you ever met Jeremy, experienced the warmth and kindness he shares, the straight answers he gives and how humble he is, you would have faith in politics again. (If only we had more political leaders like him).”
His older brother, Ajmal Masroor, had previously been a Liberal Democrat parliamentary candidate, but last week stood as an independent in the Bethnal Green and Bow constituency.

Mr Mansur said he had been compelled to take action because he felt the victims of the disaster were being let down by those in power. He said: “Rania Ibrahim is a family friend. She was on the 23rd floor with her two children. She is an Egyptian national, and her husband was away in Egypt. When the fire started she messaged my sister and said ‘we’re stuck, we can’t get out’.
“She WhatsApped our group too and said that she had been told by the
police to go back inside. So she did and then she invited other people on her floor to come in too.
“She live-broadcasted her ordeal until her phone died. All we heard at the end was her consoling her children saying ‘sit down, sit down, don’t worry’.”

Addressing the angry crowds outside the council offices, Mr Mansur, appealed for calm, but said the response by officials was “flimsy” and not good enough.

Commenting on the crowd’s angry mood, Mr Mansur said: “So far in the last three days the general public have done everything.
“Going out on the street, finding victims, going to the churches and the mosques with donations. But so
far the council has done nothing in public. They have provided fluffy-ended answers
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

boycott wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:19 am Why has this person involved himself in this apart from playing politics?
You can find the answer in your own article.
boycott wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:19 am Businessman Mustafa al-Mansur, 39, launched a Facebook campaign urging people affected by the tragedy to gather at council offices on Friday afternoon, after discovering that a family friend had died in the tragedy.

Mr Mansur, who lives in Haringey, north London, with his wife and family, was seen appealing for calm as he read out a statement from the council to the increasingly angry crowd.
Explaining why he had decided to organise the demonstration, he said he had been devastated, but angered, to discover that a friend, Rania Ibrahim,

He is the vice-chairman of the Association of Multicultural Communities, and also works with young people from black and ethnic minority groups, encouraging them to undertake volunteer work.
Varky

Post by Varky »

Dominic wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:37 am It seems that Theresa May is trying to bring the government down.
I agree, she seems intent on bringing the present government into disrepute, all by herself.
boycott

Post by boycott »

Varky perhaps that is the plan - Maybe she does not wish to be the government that a) does the Brexit negotiations and b) be responsible for the mess it will cause and is prepared to let Labour a) do the hard work and b) take the blame when it all goes wrong!
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Good post Hudswell but unfortunately I think you are wrong. I really hope you are not but I think there is just too much and too many against her for her to survive. What happens then god only knows!
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

Steve - SJD wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:46 am It seems that the BBC is biased towards whatever party you support ;)

Cheers

Steve
And that is not the truth; they appear to be biased against your own thinking, no matter what you think (if you can!). Example of BBC reporting:
  • the Queen visiting victims of the fire : pro-establishment and positive
  • Corbyn ditto: anti-establishment and positive
  • Khan ditto: anti-establishment and mainly positive
  • May ditto (1st visit): pro-establishment and very negative
  • May ditto (2nd visit): pro-establishment and largely positive
  • May ditto (3rd visit): pro-establishment and somewhat negative
Overall, I see no bias but, if you take just one of the above lines, you may believe it to reflect your own thoughts or you may believe it is biased against what you think. I'm, of course, reflecting on news and not personal opinions.
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Devil wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 1:29 pm
Steve - SJD wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 4:46 am It seems that the BBC is biased towards whatever party you support ;)

Cheers

Steve
And that is not the truth; they appear to be biased against your own thinking, no matter what you think (if you can!). Example of BBC reporting:
  • the Queen visiting victims of the fire : pro-establishment and positive
  • Corbyn ditto: anti-establishment and positive
  • Khan ditto: anti-establishment and mainly positive
  • May ditto (1st visit): pro-establishment and very negative
  • May ditto (2nd visit): pro-establishment and largely positive
  • May ditto (3rd visit): pro-establishment and somewhat negative
Overall, I see no bias but, if you take just one of the above lines, you may believe it to reflect your own thoughts or you may believe it is biased against what you think. I'm, of course, reflecting on news and not personal opinions.
Yes Devil - that's what I was alluding to - but with less words :)

Cheers

Steve
Steve - SJD

Post by Steve - SJD »

Road Warrior wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:19 pm Will be delighted when this UK government falls.
How could you say such a thing - this is a Strong & Stable government, getting on with business in
a Strong & Stable way, to ensure that going forward our economy is Strong and our government Stable!

8-) 8-)

Cheers

Steve
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Steve - SJD wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:26 pm
Road Warrior wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:19 pm Will be delighted when this UK government falls.
How could you say such a thing - this is a Strong & Stable government, getting on with business in
a Strong & Stable way, to ensure that going forward our economy is Strong and our government Stable!

8-) 8-)

Cheers

Steve
Unfortunately it is a stable with the door left wide open.
josef k

Post by josef k »

As to media bias, I am reminded of a quote from Carry On Cleo - "Infamy, infamy! ... They've all got it in for me!"

The political right have always claimed the BBC is biased, unless it is supporting their views on a particular issue of course. There are two main reasons for this. Firstly, because they resent it not being under government control whilst being publicly funded. The second being because it competes with other broadcast media that is profit driven.
The fact that even the profit driven media are not supporting the government says a lot about the current government and nothing about bias.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

As an aside, I wonder how Putin would be portrayed in Russian media in similar circumstances! 8-)

Shane
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I didn't vote Tory, but acknowledge that they won the election and have the right to form a government. May, however, has shown herself to be weak and that doesn't bode well for Brexit negotiations. I think the Tories will replace her, to allow them to form a government, otherwise another election too soon, with May in charge, could see them defeated.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

I can understand anyone having different political beliefs from me,can understand those who voted to remain in the EU but what I really cannot understand is those who feel that Theresa May is weak. To my mind she has been strong(not always right)but definitely strong with what she has had to contend with over the last few months. A weak person would definitely have gone under. I define weak as Cameron for running away when things did not go the way he wished.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 10:27 pm
Poppy wrote: Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:47 pm I can understand anyone having different political beliefs from me,can understand those who voted to remain in the EU but what I really cannot understand is those who feel that Theresa May is weak. To my mind she has been strong(not always right)but definitely strong with what she has had to contend with over the last few months. A weak person would definitely have gone under. I define weak as Cameron for running away when things did not go the way he wished.
Well said Poppy, a lot, most politiicians would just walk away, why? Because they have little belief and less conviction..Ms May has a Stong moral belief, backed up by her religion..a belief she can actually help the country and an understanding that the if labour can manage to wheedle their way into power..then the country is in shit street. She has balls...and is standing by her conviction..she will prove herself unlike some of the eunuchs on this site...
Keyboard warrior.... :lol: :mrgreen: argue properly, without throwing abuse..,..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I wouldn't so much say weak, as incompetent.