Ben Fogle's Lost Worlds - Cyprus

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
kansas

Ben Fogle's Lost Worlds - Cyprus

Post by kansas »

Watched this last night. Quite impressed......
lefkes

Re: Ben Fogle's Lost Worlds - Cyprus

Post by lefkes »

I did not realize the united nations patrolled such a large area plus there are up to ten thousand people who work within that area . Very interesting .
lefkes .
kansas

Post by kansas »

We didn't realise that there are still some unexploded mines in some areas although they have claimed most of them.
josef k

Post by josef k »

An excellent programme. Unfortunately the programme length meant that it had to skim the surface of a very complex situation.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

We enjoyed the programme and had set up a reminder to watch it when it aired here in UK.

I like Ben Fogle but I think this programmed did deserve more airtime and perhaps could have been done as a 2 part series to allow for discussion with both sides. Not enough was given to the Turkish Cypriot side, we felt.

However, it was good to see those young members all getting together to bring the the movement into the public eye.

I know they are working towards a reunification, I see it on a number of Cyprus fb groups that I'm on - but sadly, I think there's too many financial fingers in the machinations of it all and don't see it happening in my lifetime.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Mike1940

Post by Mike1940 »

So which side is to blame for the " impasse " in the negotiations for a settlement? or will it be forever be no mans land.
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

That is a good question and still highly controversial. If you read up on Cyprus history for the period circa 1955 - 1974. Then form your own conclusion. There have been numerous negotiations to try to solve it, but all failed for various reasons.

Dee
wantoosoon

Post by wantoosoon »

The negotiations have generally failed due to the GC side withdrawing or voting against a settlement. They don't like people pointing this out.
WHL

Post by WHL »

wantoosoon wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 6:33 am The negotiations have generally failed due to the GC side withdrawing or voting against a settlement. They don't like people pointing this out.
Total Bullshit, goggle Erdogan, and try and educate yourself :roll:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Not surprised at your comment WHL? Your attitude to a settlement has been well documented on here. But actually wantoosoon's comment was perfectly true. As anyone who has followed reports of all attempts to negotiate a settlement in the last 20 years, however close they got to a settlement, have failed as the GC side has pulled out. Even at virtually the last minute.

Hence the present deadlocked state with Turkey getting restless and poised to partition the north. We will all lose if this should happen. It will be very sad.

Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 5:16 pm Not surprised at your comment WHL? Your attitude to a settlement has been well documented on here. But actually wantoosoon's comment was perfectly true. As anyone who has followed reports of all attempts to negotiate a settlement in the last 20 years, however close they got to a settlement, have failed as the GC side has pulled out. Even at virtually the last minute.

Hence the present deadlocked state with Turkey getting restless and poised to partition the north. We will all lose if this should happen. It will be very sad.

Dee
When it comes to the Cyprus problem you continue to talk out of your Backside
for someone who claims to have lived over here for years you are clueless on the Cyprus problem, but for someone who has never posted anything positive, on the country you choose to live in, in , your clueless comments do not surprise me..
I wont try an educate you, it would be a waste of time, but for9 any other forum member the reason the Annan plan failed was because the Turkish side introduced many demands at the last minute , it is well documented.
glang3000

Post by glang3000 »

I remember when they voted on the peace plan agreed by both sides governments, the Turkish Cypriots voted for it and the Greek Cypriots voted against it so it was dropped.
I do not see how WHL can have missed it.
Gary.
WHL

Post by WHL »

glang3000 wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:12 pm I remember when they voted on the peace plan agreed by both sides governments, the Turkish Cypriots voted for it and the Greek Cypriots voted against it so it was dropped.
I do not see how WHL can have missed it.
Gary.
Missed what, try reading up on the reason why the GC rejected it, Turkey at the last minute made the UN add additional demands, that would render the process unworkable,
Google Erdogan you will soon realise what this evil dictator really wants for Cyprus and the surrounding area..
Is this someone who wants a solution ?, his dream is to take over the whole of Cyprus, plus many Greek Islands, and large areas of other countries, no mate , people should do a bit of research before pointing fingers.
Last edited by WHL on Tue Nov 15, 2022 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Sadly, my understanding from the numerous Cyprus related groups, news reports and people from both sides of the divide is that indeed it is the GC side which has a problem with any reunification.

Much of it boils down to money and where it will go if it finally becomes a much simpler option to transition between the division, let alone the devaluation of property in the south if they have to compete with each other.

I know of a fair number who have switched their abodes already. One just recently has been renting for a while but has now moved permanently into their place of residence, having been based in Larnaka district for the best part of 30yrs.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
WHL

Post by WHL »

PhotoLady wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 9:47 pm Sadly, my understanding from the numerous Cyprus related groups, news reports and people from both sides of the divide is that indeed it is the GC side which has a problem with any reunification.

Much of it boils down to money and where it will go if it finally becomes a much simpler option to transition between the division, let alone the devaluation of property in the south if they have to compete with each other.

I know of a fair number who have switched their abodes already. One just recently has been renting for a while but has now moved permanently into their place of residence, having been based in Larnaka district for the best part of 30yrs.
Sorry but that isnt true greek cypriots want a solution more then anyone else, but heres the thing they want a fair and workable solution,
But while dictators like Erdogan are in power there is no hope of that, in fact he has been calling for a greater Turkey, he recently produced a map, where Greater turkey is shown, incorporating a large chunk of Greece, Syria , Iraq, and all of Cyprus, its out there if you care to look.

https://greekcitytimes.com/2021/11/23/t ... ter-turan/

https://www.arabnews.com/node/2120551/middle-east
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes, its true that Greek Cypriots want a solution , but ONLY on their terms. Which as I understand it involve a return to the situation when the UN issued their resolution in a UN resolution based on the ceasefire lines circa 1974. From which they refuse to move forward.
Despite all, the Greek side wants to maintain this stance. Trouble is that international events, including the situation in Turkey, hasn't stood still.
Hence failed talks and peace initiatives litter recent history.
Which is very sad for everyone who lives here.

Photo Lady summarised some of the problems, which are related to finance and vested interests. Reasons why some quarters prefer the divided island situation to continue.
Dee
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:28 pm Yes, its true that Greek Cypriots want a solution , but ONLY on their terms. Which as I understand it involve a return to the situation when the UN issued their resolution in a UN resolution based on the ceasefire lines circa 1974. From which they refuse to move forward.
Despite all, the Greek side wants to maintain this stance. Trouble is that international events, including the situation in Turkey, hasn't stood still.
Hence failed talks and peace initiatives litter recent history.
Which is very sad for everyone who lives here.

Photo Lady summarised some of the problems, which are related to finance and vested interests. Reasons why some quarters prefer the divided island situation to continue.
Dee
Total crap, as per usual. You must be the only person on planet Earth, that hasn't heard of ERDOGAN and what a nasty piece of work he is, never mind :roll:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

:lol: And you are an authority on what? This has been going on much, much longer than Erdogans rise to power which you blame for everything.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Kili01 wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 2:58 pm :lol: And you are an authority on what? This has been going on much, much longer than Erdogans rise to power which you blame for everything.
No I'm not an authority, but I take an interest in the politics of the country I choose to live in, I have learnt to speak the laungage ( have you :roll: )
I mix with Cypriots ( do you :roll: ) and the one thing I have learned from speaking to both Greek and Turkish Cypriots over the many years is, they all say, that everyone has blood on their hands, Greek cypriots, Turkish Cypriots, Greece, Turkey, and Great Britain, all have had a hand in where Cyprus is at the moment, not one of the five party's are clean,
So do me a favour and spare us your sermons on Cyprus,
ive heard the same clueless thoughts in quite a few expat watering holes, over the years, most of these idiots couldn't tell you who the president of cyprus is or say good morning in the local laungage :roll:
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Yes! I'm sure that some of us here take an interest in local politics. I do, plus the history and archaeology of this ancient island. Personally, I avoid expressing an opinion on politics when in company with Cypriots. But of course I listen to their views. This also applies if I'm in the north. I also read a lot.
Over the years, one can't help forming ones own opinions.

Dee