Divine retribution?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
surreyboy

Divine retribution?

Post by surreyboy »

Wonder what the general consensus of opinion is?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-39996592
Jimgym

Re: Divine retribution?

Post by Jimgym »

Wonderful, serves him right. What purpose did it serve killing an elephant?
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

I do hope he heard his bones crack before he died a slow death.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Elephants 1 ........ marauding hunters (pick a number with lots of 0s in it!) :cry:

Shane
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Karma eh? Don't you just love it when it comes back to bite someone in the bum :-) A shame that yet another magnificent animal had to die all for a bit of fun though :-(

But hey, if the Tories win the election these people can just all come to uk and kill the foxes as well as carry on with the ivory trade, so really - some people have no reason to be sitting there feeling smug about it :evil:
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
smudger

Post by smudger »

Don't agree with the foxes killing, but what's the news on the ivory trade??

Shattered that yet another wild animal had to die but excstatic that it's dying moments resulted in the death of this utter nomark. So fitting. RIP dear Ellie.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

smudger wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 10:58 pm Don't agree with the foxes killing, but what's the news on the ivory trade??
It's sneakily been dropped from the 2017 manifesto....

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ry-trading
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

PhotoLady wrote: Mon May 22, 2017 8:17 pm Karma eh? Don't you just love it when it comes back to bite someone in the bum :-) A shame that yet another magnificent animal had to die all for a bit of fun though :-(

But hey, if the Tories win the election these people can just all come to uk and kill the foxes as well as carry on with the ivory trade, so really - some people have no reason to be sitting there feeling smug about it :evil:
Jules You have evidence that only Tories hunt foxes or rather hunted them?

For the record there has been a 23 year ban on international trade in Ivory but many people still own pieces which have legally been passed down through families. Whilst it is within the law to own Ivory it "is illegal to sell" anything created or carved after March 1947. Owners have to prove the date of their pieces before they can be sold but "most things" carved in the early 20th century are unlikely to be of great value.

Rita
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lloyd,

Why do you think that it should be allowed ?

As I see it, it's a blood sport of the well heeled, what sort of sick mind ( and I do mean sick) gains pleasure in seeing a wild animal torn to pieces by dogs, or the painful bloody death of any animal for pleasure. We have made dog fighting, cock fighting, badger baiting, and every other blood sport of the working man illegal, but when it comes to money, we can neatly side step it.

With grouse shooting and fishing, the animals are eaten, not agonisingly torn apart for fun.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
angieb

Post by angieb »

My cat, unfortunately, has a penchant for bringing in live mice and letting them go in the house. I am now really skilled at catching them, either by hand or in a humane trap and putting them back outside, sometimes by putting my hand with caught mouse back through the cat flap at 3am! No matter how inconvenient it is for me, I couldn't contemplate killing them, so I have no idea what mindset these 'hunters' must have to want to kill for pleasure.
surreyboy

Post by surreyboy »

Somehow this seems to have gone way off topic (thanks Lloyd).
There is a world of difference between big game hunting and killing vermin (or perhaps you hadn't twigged that one Lloyd).
DavidatLWH

Post by DavidatLWH »

Over the years, I've asked several members of the hunting community (here and in the UK) how can a human being derive pleasure from killing an animal.

Never had a remotely reasonable answer.

I had a pond years ago, and occasionally had to kill a fish which was diseased and had no chance of recovery, but I didn't enjoy the process. Far from it.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

If there is a reason for animals to be culled - it should be done in a humane way, not with animals being ripped and torn to shreds with the young squirming pups being stamped on when the pregnant mothers' stomach is ripped open.

That is not "sport" - that is cruel and barbaric.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

LLoyd

So you would be happy to eat fox ? Maybe you would, but the people that carry out this cruelty and barbarism purely for their own pleasure, do not eat their victims. As for your ducks, foxes are often blamed for the killing of hens etc. when in fact it has been done by dogs. I have seen the carnage left when dogs have been at chickens. I know too what destruction dogs are capable of to other animals and indeed humans, but we don't hunt them.

It is sad that people hold the view that it's fun to kill, and as I said, the product of a sick mind.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Agree with HIC Foxes are vermin... most of you who think they are cuddly animals, haven't got a clue, on the damage they do to other animals.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

It doesn't matter if they are vermin or not.... There is a way of culling in a humane manner and not turning it into a "sporting event".
Lincoln

Post by Lincoln »

Those of us brought up in the country know that the FOX is a very intelligent KILLER. We had lots of hens in the chicken runs. A fox will run round and round a chicken run. The curious hens all stick there heads out to follow the action of the fox. next time round the fox just bites off the heads of as many as he can. We see them the next morning. not a pretty site. I am in favour of Fox Hunting.
All things are possible
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Lincoln

Why ? why not a humane cull, rather than a jolly time for the wealthy ? If you can call it jolly, more like a revolting bloody spectacle to me.

To gain pleasure from seeing an animal torn apart is the product of a sick inbred cruelty. If any old Joe Bloggs does it with ordinary dogs they are prosecuted by the RSPCA, but get dressed up, get on horse, and hey presto, that's ok. No it's NOT.

Jackie
panoscouse

Post by panoscouse »

Good post Jackie.

Lincoln, I was always taught that It's a poor farmer that doesn't know how to protect his flock.
I was brought up in the countryside on a farm with over 2000 hens, most of them free range and without fences. In over 20 years I cannot recall losing even one hen to a fox and we were very isolated. Having a few dozen free range geese would soon put paid to any attempt of an intrusion.
Maybe you had the wrong type of fence.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

My dad used to keep hens when he was in his teens. A fox came and killed some of them.... So, he replaced them and also got a pig and some geese. No more dead hens after that.