Divine retribution?

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
markwoods39

Re: Divine retribution?

Post by markwoods39 »

In my opinion anyone who thinks its ok to chase a fox to be finally caught or even dug up to let the hounds then rip it apart is not all in the head. Why do us humans " well some of us " have to mess about with mother nature ?. Did you know some people breed foxes to be chased and killed in the name of FUN / Sport !!!! Mother nature will sort things out just leave her to it. I do think hunting for food is ok as its our way us humans to survive but killing for fun or sport is not ok . I do wonder sometime if humans never evolved what this great planet would be like!! a lot better me thinks
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

WHL, really who is vermin ? us humans who is destroying this planet ? just saying :)
cyprusgrump

Post by cyprusgrump »

I think it depends a lot on your background...

I'm completely squeamish - I've been brought up with packaged foods and remember being upset when Mum stabbed sausages... :oops: I could no more kill a fox than I could kill a snake - I rescue beatles from my pool.

But if you are brought up in the countryside you are much more used to the death of creatures for our benefit. I can't imagine sending lambs, sheep, goats, calves or cows off to the slaughterhouse having reared them... But if you are brought up with that then it would be second nature to you.

And so, if your business is raising lambs, sheep, goats, calves or cows to sell at Market then foxes are vermin that can destroy your product.

And they have to be controlled or you go out of business. You can't leave it to 'Mother Nature' because there would be no food on the shelves. My brother in law keeps chickens and a fox killed the lot one night because it could - not just one for food but the lot.

And as has been pointed out earlier in this thread, the hunt is a very good way of controlling them...
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

Wow!, so according to the world of WHL, anyone that has an opinion about cruelty to animals, has to keep it to themselves if they eat meat. :shock:
Haven't you espoused on other subjects about the restrictions being put on freedom of speech, or does it only matter when it suits your own narrative :roll:

I have been called many things, but never have I ever been called a ' hypocrite ' before...for your information, though it is neither here nor there as far as this debate goes, I am a VEGETARIAN, & have been for nearly 40years, the reason I became one,
( chicken being my favorite meat at the time ), was because of ' battery hens ' & the conditions they were being kept in.

' Mighty Oaks From Little Acorns Grow '

I shall reiterate once again, foxes are mammals & NOT vermin, the killing of farm animals, as they are indeed predators, has been proven to be mainly about bad farming practices than anything else, & it seems to be of no consequence whether you live rurally or not, the vast majority of British people are against foxhunting.

This Barbaric practice needs to consigned to the history books where it belongs.
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Cogs/Markwoods

Agreed totally, still not one person has told us what pleasure they derive from this barbaric torture, oh no, they call it 'sport' don't they !

So all you hunt members and followers out there, please explain, no usual lame excuses about control of vermin, but the truth.

Jackie
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Cogs123 wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 9:48 am Wow!, so according to the world of WHL, anyone that has an opinion about cruelty to animals, has to keep it to themselves if they eat meat. :shock:
Haven't you espoused on other subjects about the restrictions being put on freedom of speech, or does it only matter when it suits your own narrative :roll:

I have been called many things, but never have I ever been called a ' hypocrite ' before...for your information, though it is neither here nor there as far as this debate goes, I am a VEGETARIAN, & have been for nearly 40years, the reason I became one,
( chicken being my favorite meat at the time ), was because of ' battery hens ' & the conditions they were being kept in.

' Mighty Oaks From Little Acorns Grow '

I shall reiterate once again, foxes are mammals & NOT vermin, the killing of farm animals, as they are indeed predators, has been proven to be mainly about bad farming practices than anything else, & it seems to be of no consequence whether you live rurally or not, the vast majority of British people are against foxhunting.

This Barbaric practice needs to consigned to the history books where it belongs.
In your World they are cuddly adorable Basil Brush animals, in the Real world they are vermin that need controlling....Im not a lover of Fox Hunting, but none of you have told us of a better way of controlling them.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Foxes are vermin in the same way rats are.

Blaming bad farming practices is wrong, and downright insulting to farmers and owners of chickens.

However, I disagree strongly with WHL's use of the word "hypocrite".
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Ok Dominic ..possibly Hypocrite is too strong a word, But when people eat meat, myself included, how can we pick and choose which animals should live or die?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL

Because we don't EAT foxes !
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
WHL

Post by WHL »

So if people started eating them (plenty of recipes on Google for fox meat), you would be ok with fox hunting.... Can you tell us where you stand on the eating of Cats and Dogs?
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

I think that the people who hunt, should have to eat their prey.

Some nations do eat dogs, as sickening as it is. I think everyone who has posted on this thread know my stance on hunting, and animal welfare, perhaps you missed it.

Jackie
WHL

Post by WHL »

No haven't missed it, thats your stance and good for you, but it dosn,t have to be everybody else's stance.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

A couple of points when searching to see if foxes are classed as vermin....
the Masters of Foxhounds Association & Foundation says that “because there is no rabies in the British Isles, populations of fox are extremely high and fox are considered vermin”. Conversely, and closer to home, DEFRA have never categorised foxes as vermin.
And if you search Google for "are foxes vermin" this is what you will find right at the top of the page:
The fox is sometimes referred to as vermin, but it is not, and never has been categorised as such by the Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs (DEFRA). Some pest controllers charge huge fees to cage-trap nuisance foxes which are then either shot or dumped miles away.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

WHL

No indeed not, but I am entitled to my opinion, whether you like it or not.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Firefly wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 5:41 pm WHL

No indeed not, but I am entitled to my opinion, whether you like it or not.
Same Here
Rita Sherry

Post by Rita Sherry »

I was rather hoping this thread had run its course but apparently not so - so here goes.

In the event that it is apparently forgotten FOX HUNTING IS ILLEGAL IN THE UK AND HAS BEEN SINCE 2005 (12 years ago) so as far as I am aware the only hunting that is permitted is DRAG HUNTING and there is no fox or any other creature (except hounds) involved in the pursuit. Where therefore is your evidence of foxes being torn to shreds etc etc? If you have such evidence that despite the ban such activity is going on clandestinely may I ask whether you have informed the appropriate authorities of such activity or are you relying on propoganda from those who continue to make spurious claims as to what does or does not go on (sorry did go on) at a hunt meeting and argue on a public forum rather than do anything about it?

Please see my post of Sunday 28th May, paragraph four, for the independent research evidence from Oxford University regarding the demise of the fox during a hunt - not run for miles but 17 minutes (foxes travel at 30mph - you do the maths) and instantaneous death. A nip on the neck from one of the hounds and the creature is dead.

Why can you not accept, as I do, there are differences of opinion on this matter(as others) rather than stir up the venom of almost hatred (or in some instances actual hatred) for those who do not agree with you? Where is your absolute right to demand that others do as you say coming from? Try using persuasion rather than distorted facts to support your stance. It also seems you condone grave robbery in pursuit of your aims to force others to adhere to your wishes.

Without fear of contradiction I am pretty certain that should the Conservatives win the forthcoming General Election the FREE vote on the reintroduction of fox hunting will be pretty low down on the list of matters to be considered and should time actually permit to debate same the result will be exactly as it was in 2004 - A BAN ON FOX HUNTING.

Rita
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

WHL wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:23 pm So if people started eating them (plenty of recipes on Google for fox meat), you would be ok with fox hunting.... Can you tell us where you stand on the eating of Cats and Dogs?
That's a good point. I do think it hypocritical for people to slag off SE Asia for eating dogs and keeping them cruelly, while turning a blind eye to our own factory farming methods.

Interestingly, on my travels in the 90s, I observed that you are far more likely to get served chicken pretending to be dog, rather than dog pretending to be chicken, as dog meat was more expensive.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Not being rude Rita Sherry but you are either in full support for fox hunting and thats your right,. But saying just a nip of the back of the neck will kill the fox !!!!!!! how wrong you are on this it has be proven this statement is so wrong see here https://www.rspca.org.uk/getinvolved/ca ... ting/facts

I have see videos where the fox has been attacked and killed and no way was it a nip to the back of the neck 10 to 15 dogs attacking a fox ? is this right is this what some humans like to do ? if so they are not human in my eyes but evil people.

I could say if supermarket only sold live chickens and i had to kill it myself i could not eat that chicken or even kill it.We just buy our meat from the supermarket not thinking where it came from or how it was killed ? we just buy the meat without thinking really just like we buy a tin of beans its just another product. I refuse to eat Halal meat now but thats another topic.
WHL

Post by WHL »

Rita Sherry wrote: Thu Jun 01, 2017 8:08 pm I was rather hoping this thread had run its course but apparently not so - so here goes.

In the event that it is apparently forgotten FOX HUNTING IS ILLEGAL IN THE UK AND HAS BEEN SINCE 2005 (12 years ago) so as far as I am aware the only hunting that is permitted is DRAG HUNTING and there is no fox or any other creature (except hounds) involved in the pursuit. Where therefore is your evidence of foxes being torn to shreds etc etc? If you have such evidence that despite the ban such activity is going on clandestinely may I ask whether you have informed the appropriate authorities of such activity or are you relying on propoganda from those who continue to make spurious claims as to what does or does not go on (sorry did go on) at a hunt meeting and argue on a public forum rather than do anything about it?

Please see my post of Sunday 28th May, paragraph four, for the independent research evidence from Oxford University regarding the demise of the fox during a hunt - not run for miles but 17 minutes (foxes travel at 30mph - you do the maths) and instantaneous death. A nip on the neck from one of the hounds and the creature is dead.

Why can you not accept, as I do, there are differences of opinion on this matter(as others) rather than stir up the venom of almost hatred (or in some instances actual hatred) for those who do not agree with you? Where is your absolute right to demand that others do as you say coming from? Try using persuasion rather than distorted facts to support your stance. It also seems you condone grave robbery in pursuit of your aims to force others to adhere to your wishes.

Without fear of contradiction I am pretty certain that should the Conservatives win the forthcoming General Election the FREE vote on the reintroduction of fox hunting will be pretty low down on the list of matters to be considered and should time actually permit to debate same the result will be exactly as it was in 2004 - A BAN ON FOX HUNTING.

Rita
Excellent Post
markwoods39

Post by markwoods39 »

Also Rita Sherry if this thread is boring you that much you hoped it would run its course don't read the posts ! you are not forced to read these comments at all :) just saying