Why you should consider moving to Cyprus - The Brexit Connection

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Yioula

Why you should consider moving to Cyprus - The Brexit Connection

Post by Yioula »

Cyprus is a fabulous destination but since Brexit it’s very difficult for a non EU Citizens to move to especially if you require employment as with most other EU countries, Even if you were thinking of a winter bolt hole it’s not quite on the cards
I think the EU strategy on penalising the Brits is very short sighted as they were contributing to the local economy wherever they might wish to spend 6 months of the winter season
Now I think you need deeper pockets than maybe a decade ago
Jim B

Re: Why you should consider moving to Cyprus

Post by Jim B »

Yioula wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 10:10 pm Cyprus is a fabulous destination but since Brexit it’s very difficult for a non EU Citizens to move to especially if you require employment as with most other EU countries, Even if you were thinking of a winter bolt hole it’s not quite on the cards
I think the EU strategy on penalising the Brits is very short sighted as they were contributing to the local economy wherever they might wish to spend 6 months of the winter season
Now I think you need deeper pockets than maybe a decade ago
When are people like you going to understand the reality of the situation, the EU or Cyprus never penalised the British, this is what Brexit supporters voted for, to be treated as Third Country Nationals just like the Russians or Ukranians or most other non-EU nationals.
It's Brexit voters who have taken away the dreams and aspirations of many who now find the opportunity of retiring abroad taken away from them and now you blame the EU.
WHL

Re: Why you should consider moving to Cyprus - The Brexit Connection

Post by WHL »

Its very simple, if you are a member of any club be it the EU or the local golf club, the minute you choose to leave that club, you lose the benefits that club afforded you, Brexiteers want to have their cake and it it too, stop whingeing .
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

If Britain didn't lose its benefits, how would the remaining members who still paid their subs and abided by the rules feel?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dominic wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 9:20 am If Britain didn't lose its benefits, how would the remaining members who still paid their subs and abided by the rules feel?
Precisely. We have many friends who are TCNs and they have to follow the same rules as the British now have to follow.
I know how inconvenient it can be as my wife was a TCN and sometimes we would queue for a couple of hours to get through immigration. The last time four of our nieces came over from Kazakhstan we had to wait nearly 3 hours for them to clear immigration and that's what Brexit supporters have voted for.
Now the boots on the other foot, the wife is now an EU Citizen and I'm a TCN.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

When I visited in April, I waited no longer to clear immigration, than I did before Brexit.
Last edited by Firefly on Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Firefly wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 12:44 pm When I visited in April, I waited no longer to clear immigration, that I did before Brexit.
Well they must have known you were coming 😉
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

It probably depends on how many immigration officers are processing the arrivals. But the main difference now,is whether one can prove that they have a residence permit to live in Cyprus. Ie MEU 1 or 3, or the newer MUKW equivalent, Otherwise a 90 day visa stamp in the passport is given.
Also, the Cyprus Mail Report quoted is wrong, since non entitled persons can not use the GESY national health scheme. EHIC/ GHIC cards maybor not be accepted for free care, since the UK is no longer an EU country.
Treatment at A&E at the General Hospital costs €10. For everyone.
In fact BritishTourists should take out private travel insurance care policies.

Those who voted for Brexit should reflect on this.
Dee

PS.I know that the usual policy is to keep politics off the main page. But in the case of this thread, Many visitors to this forum may not bother to access the Politics Page and may miss valuable information.
josef k

Post by josef k »

We can't vote to be Third Country Nationals, and then complain when we are treated as Third Country nationals.

As to being penalised, we are obviously not. We are being treated the same as Americans, Australians, New Zealanders, South Africans, Canadians etc etc. I don't hear any of them complaining that they are being penalised.

As to contributing to the local economy, a considerable number of Brits don't pay any income tax here as their income is below the minimum threshold.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Dee, you're spot on. When our daughter came home at Christmas many flights were kept circling because they didn't have capacity to clear immigration fast enough. When she eventually landed about an hour late they just opened the gates and let people through with a rudimentary check just like it used to be.. It had caused chaos as the baggage had backed up and most of it was still airside as the carousels were full due to the delays.. It was a long afternoon.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

We flew from the UK to Larnaka yesterday. We took our yellow slips and passports with us and were able to come through the EU entrance because of the yellow slip.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

josef k wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 3:19 pm We can't vote to be Third Country Nationals, and then complain when we are treated as Third Country nationals.
"We" didn't - there's the rub...
"Have Camera, Will Travel"