Sinn Fein set to be biggest party in Northen Ireland

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Dominic
Site Admin

Sinn Fein set to be biggest party in Northen Ireland

Post by Dominic »

I wonder how it would go if there was an independence / reunification with Eire vote similar to Scotland?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-61333297
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
WHL

Re: Sinn Fein set to be biggest party in Northen Ireland

Post by WHL »

Dominic wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 8:03 am I wonder how it would go if there was an independence / reunification with Eire vote similar to Scotland?

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-northern-ireland-61333297
The protestant vote is split, hence why the Nationalists will come top now,
if there was a vote on union with Ireland im guessing the protestant's vote would unite to vote it down.,
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Post by Devil »

My opinion is very simple: there should be a referendum over the whole island. I agree that the disadvantage is that the Protestants in the North would lose. Historically, they are largely derived from the poorer parts of Glasgow and the West and they took advantage, after the Battle of the Boyne of apparently better conditions in Ireland. Like them, I am nominally Scottish Presbyterian and these "imported" persons were opposed to the Catholicism of their adopting country, some of them being very radical "Wee Frees". Historically, these bigots have always tried to take over their adopted country and they have half-succeeded when Ireland was split into Northern Ireland and Eire.

As I said in my opening sentence, the answer is really simple but it would unfortunately result in a hellish bloodbath as the Protestant bigots would fight for their "pretended" rights. There is therefore no real solution because the same bigots would never accept the results of a referendum. Blame the English monarchy at the transition between the Stewarts and Orange.
souniman

Post by souniman »

Absolutely right. I remember as a child growing up in Scotland with an Irish mother the divide between the protestants and catholics both in Ireland and Scotland. Sadly like the divide in Cyprus I doubt either will ever be united in my lifetime.
WHL

Post by WHL »

I had the misfortune to go to a Glasgow derby match, and the hate and venom showed by both sets of fans, was something I have never experienced or want to experience again.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

The younger <40 yrs voters in NI are now agast the DUP and the Alliance vote is taking over, with the extreme right-wing leaving the DUP to the TUV.

Alliance reckon in another 10 years, there will be no DUP and the numbers looking at the wealth and growth of the Republic, are looking interestingly at how a United Ireland would look.

There needs to be a lot of corporate investments, as 55% of jobs at present are public sector.

There also needs to be proper NHS in the South and pension considerations.

The previous DUP/Orange vote is diminishing as the more educated see that they need to work hard to do well, rather than being handed jobs and promotions due to their affinities.

The Nationalist vote is nowhere near 100% in favour of a United Ireland either and therefore I think in maybe 10 - 20 years, we will see it.