Ireland & Brexit

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
ApusApus

Ireland & Brexit

Post by ApusApus »

Have we suddenly found one of those elusive "aces" for our forthcoming negotiations? ;)

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Ireland & Brexit

Post by Dominic »

?
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
ApusApus

Post by ApusApus »

Dominic wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 7:54 am?
I was referring to a "Biased Broadcasting Corporation" report shown on the World News section early this morning relating to the Michel Barnier's address to the Irish houses of parliament, more details are here http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39889292

I guess if you missed it though my post could be a tad confusing!

Shane
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

The simple(!) solution would be to re-unify Ireland.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Dominic wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 2:36 pm The simple(!) solution would be to re-unify Ireland.
Simple or simplistic? One day, that may be the majority view in Northern Ireland in which case democracy will lead that way. At present, however, the majority wish to stay in the United Kingdom and that should be respected.
Royal

Post by Royal »

ApusApus wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 11:06 am
I was referring to a "Biased Broadcasting Corporation" report shown on the World News section early this morning relating to the Michel Barnier's address to the Irish houses of parliament, more details are here http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-39889292

I guess if you missed it though my post could be a tad confusing!

Shane
It's interesting that Michel Barnier wishes to conduct the Brexit negotiations in French and a leading MEP has said that with Brexit, English will no longer be an official EU language. Yet Msr Barnier spoke to the Irish Parliament in English - not in French or in Irish.

When Ireland joined the EU, as English was already an official EU language because of the UK's membership, Ireland submitted that Irish be accepted as an official language. The same happened with Malta where English is spoken equally with Maltese. After we leave, I wonder if the majority of Irishmen (who do not speak Irish) will have to learn as English will no longer be officially recognised? :ugeek:
Last edited by Royal on Fri May 12, 2017 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Royal wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 5:07 pm
Dominic wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 2:36 pm The simple(!) solution would be to re-unify Ireland.
Simple or simplistic? One day, that may be the majority view in Northern Ireland in which case democracy will lead that way. At present, however, the majority wish to stay in the United Kingdom and that should be respected.
Simple.

Obviously, the majority of NI and the majority of Eire would have to want it, but given NI's fondness for the EU, there is certainly no harm in asking them.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Dominic wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 6:36 pm
Simple.

Obviously, the majority of NI and the majority of Eire would have to want it, but given NI's fondness for the EU, there is certainly no harm in asking them.
I agree - no harm in asking. I just preface that by stating that no EU (or indeed Irish) money be accepted in any form of campaign to persuade NI voters either way.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I'm sure the NI politicians on all sides could generate enough noise without money from anybody else, including the mainland UK.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Hudswell wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 5:17 pm Absolutely correct Royal, the process is already in place to allow a "referendum" in order to reunify the island, if the Majority of those in the Province wish to....the simple fact is the vast majority don't.....so Whilst the EU may be concerned about a "Hard Border", in regard to the politics....butt out...not their problem...
Where do you get vast majority from?

The vast majority in The `North of Ireland voted to remain and Brexit is likely to move the Provence more towards unification. At present, the slim majority of voters are unionists, but not necessarily in total favour of the union. Within 10 years, the majority will be non-unionists.

At present the majority of nationalist would not have favoured reunification, as most jobs in the North rely on westminster public funds. Brexit, I predict, will swing things away from the Union.

Where her the EU offers money, jobs and security is entirely up to them. It's no different to what has happened historically in the north from British money. The Provence is an area where the hardline unionist politicians are fast losing even traditional Protestant votes, due to extremist politics and views.
Royal

Post by Royal »

Jimgward:

Two points:

1. The 'North of Ireland' is NOT Northern Ireland. It may seem pedantic, but believe me, it is a crucial point!

2. I think that you'd be surprised (as would Nicola Sturgeon) as to whether the union of the UK is stronger than the union of the EU. As I said to Dominic - no harm in testing the water, but having lived in NI for the 16 years prior to moving to Cyprus in 2014, I'm pretty sure that the majority would wish to remain in the UK - regardless of the Referendum result. I believe that the 2010 Census would back up this assertion.

I do agree, however, that within 10 years, the demographics in NI will change and if at that point a United Ireland is the democratic will of the majority, then so be it!
Cogs123

Post by Cogs123 »

Interesting points have been raised, Ulsters main trading partner is the Free State, the rest of the UK being it's 2nd., I believe that the outcome of the Brexit negotiations & the border issue will also have an effect on a United Ireland.
Luckily, the Northern Irish are entitled to hold an Irish passport, if they so wish, retaining their EU status., it will be interesting to see if the outcome of the Brexit negotiations, ' speeds up re-unification '
Life is not about waiting for the Storm to pass...
It is about learning to Dance in the Rain
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Royal wrote: Fri May 12, 2017 10:33 pm Jimgward:

Two points:

1. The 'North of Ireland' is NOT Northern Ireland. It may seem pedantic, but believe me, it is a crucial point!

2. I think that you'd be surprised (as would Nicola Sturgeon) as to whether the union of the UK is stronger than the union of the EU. As I said to Dominic - no harm in testing the water, but having lived in NI for the 16 years prior to moving to Cyprus in 2014, I'm pretty sure that the majority would wish to remain in the UK - regardless of the Referendum result. I believe that the 2010 Census would back up this assertion.

I do agree, however, that within 10 years, the demographics in NI will change and if at that point a United Ireland is the democratic will of the majority, then so be it!
I was actually deliberately being tricky over the definition.... :D well spotted....

I have never lived there, visited and worked often. Relations there and I do understand a lot of the politics. Sadly, a lot of it exists in the West of Scotland as well (unfortunately). It's a Provence historically stepped in a sad history. It is moving forward, but being hindered by politicians from all sides. At this moment, EIRE would not want to take back the 6 counties - they are a financial burden with poor education and skills compared to the South. I cannot see even in 10 years, a United Ireland but I also cannot see how any border will work, or even how lack of one will.....