Goodbye...Lord Frost

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
PhotoLady

Re: Goodbye...Lord Frost

Post by PhotoLady »

And who has taken his place?

The person who has so far only managed to renegotiate agreements which were already in existence pre-Brexit.

Not much of a track record to show so far.

Wonder how long she will last....
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

FB_IMG_16399958808023584.jpg
FB_IMG_16399958808023584.jpg (120.92 KiB) Viewed 4126 times
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

So what if she was a remainer? That's how democracy works. Cases are put forward, decisions are made, and everybody then does what the consensus wanted.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Lord Frost resigned due to differences of opinion with how the Govt. are handling Covid restrictions etc, as he said in his letter of resignation. However as ever some posters don't let actual facts get in the way of their argument.
"Lord Frost quit the Cabinet on Saturday night over concerns about Boris Johnson's Covid-19 curbs and the Government's "direction of travel", as the Prime Minister considered calls for a third national lockdown beginning as soon as this week.

The Cabinet Office minister, who was leading Mr Johnson’s post-Brexit negotiations with the European Union, resigned over the Government's Plan B Covid measures, having held private concerns for months about coronavirus restrictions and the Government's economic policy, including its planned National Insurance hike.

In his resignation letter, Lord Frost reminded Mr Johnson of his pledge that the lifting of restrictions in the summer would be "irreversible". He also urged the Prime Minister to "deliver on the opportunities" of Brexit by moving "as fast as possible" to "a lightly regulated, low-tax, entrepreneurial economy".

Reading the posts above I now understand why it's often referred to as Tw@tter and those who use it are given a shortened version of it's name. :lol: ;) :mrgreen: (oops forgot the smiley faces!)
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Twitter does tend to be left-leaning, when you look at the trending topics. Without it, the likes of Owen Jones and Femi would doubtless go hungry.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 11:57 am So what if she was a remainer? That's how democracy works. Cases are put forward, decisions are made, and everybody then does what the consensus wanted.
You miss the point, that she was a ‘fervent’ remainer. Totally against brexit - until she realised she could better herself politically…. Just like Johnson and so many others… prostitutes to change
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Dominic wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 3:10 pm Twitter does tend to be left-leaning, when you look at the trending topics. Without it, the likes of Owen Jones and Femi would doubtless go hungry.
That's a rather sweeping statement…. It depends on the topics and threads you migrate towards…. I can find many that are very right leaning…. We must both be right.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

I was referring to trending topics - ie the most popular.

I tend to follow science topics more than anything, which never trend. It doesn't mean I don't notice what is trending though, and as I said, outside of KPOP etc, a lot of the trends will be left-leaning.

Lots of right wing accounts got cancelled on Twitter, which is why they set up an alternative.

This is not a controversial statement either. Or rather, it is as controversial as saying the Guardian is left leaning.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Now this is what following science topics leads to...

Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Meanwhile, back in Physics...

Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:54 am
Jimgym wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:36 pmLord Frost resigned due to differences of opinion with how the Govt. are handling Covid restrictions etc, as he said in his letter of resignation.

Well, he would say that wouldn't he :lol:

Let’s put the horseshit excuses about ‘Covid measures’ and ‘govt’s direction of travel’ to one side. Frost dropping his Brexit brief now means only one thing: it’s a disaster and about to get much worse. He’s running scared. He would hardly chuck in the towel if he was on the cusp of success in his negotiations with the EU would he?

G*d, some people are so naive.

Jimgym wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:36 pmReading the posts above I now understand why it's often referred to as Tw@tter and those who use it are given a shortened version of it's name.

Were you a Twitter user you would realise that almost every cabinet minister, including your erstwhile mate Boris, uses Twitter prolifically. Boris puts out twaddle daily. He no longer mentions the sunlit uplands of Brexit though. Can't think why :lol: :lol:
Nice to see your grasp of facts is as tenuous as ever! Of course, keep believing that EVERYTHING is to do with Brexit. However I have no doubt that the British press will be beating a path to your door as you appear to be the one who knows the "real reason" Lord Frost resigned despite his letter stating the actual reasons. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Jimgym wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 11:32 am
Happy in Cyprus wrote: Fri Dec 24, 2021 12:54 am
Jimgym wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:36 pmLord Frost resigned due to differences of opinion with how the Govt. are handling Covid restrictions etc, as he said in his letter of resignation.

Well, he would say that wouldn't he :lol:

Let’s put the horseshit excuses about ‘Covid measures’ and ‘govt’s direction of travel’ to one side. Frost dropping his Brexit brief now means only one thing: it’s a disaster and about to get much worse. He’s running scared. He would hardly chuck in the towel if he was on the cusp of success in his negotiations with the EU would he?

G*d, some people are so naive.

Jimgym wrote: Tue Dec 21, 2021 2:36 pmReading the posts above I now understand why it's often referred to as Tw@tter and those who use it are given a shortened version of it's name.

Were you a Twitter user you would realise that almost every cabinet minister, including your erstwhile mate Boris, uses Twitter prolifically. Boris puts out twaddle daily. He no longer mentions the sunlit uplands of Brexit though. Can't think why :lol: :lol:
Nice to see your grasp of facts is as tenuous as ever! Of course, keep believing that EVERYTHING is to do with Brexit. However I have no doubt that the British press will be beating a path to your door as you appear to be the one who knows the "real reason" Lord Frost resigned despite his letter stating the actual reasons. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I think it's immaterial what reason he used to resign, he's followed the route of previous negotiators and gained little or nothing.
from his many months of talks. Most Political Commentators are of the opinion that he's jumped ship rather than go down with Boris as he can see Blojo's days are numbered as far as many in the Tory Party are concerned.
The question is, if he is a man with the courage of his convictions why did he keep his resignation secret for nearly three weeks, why not come out with this "Moral Stance" at the beginning of December?
He's no great loss as a negotiator and unfortunately his replacement isn't much better going on her track record with Trade Deals.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Brexit - One Year Later:
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 12:47 am A nephew of mine has a senior position in the Min. of Justice and is responsible for making decisions close to government, which are acted upon by ministers. He and I were WhatsApping the other day and I expressed the view that Truss would be no more competent in her new role as the UK's EU negotiator than the previous 4 or 5 encumbents. Truss is often mooted as a possible successor for Boris (when he goes) and it's clear she fancies herself in that role, but I expressed the view that she would be as a much a disaster as PM as Boris has proved to be. He agreed 100% with my sentiments. Sadly, apart from Sunak, the cupboard is bare when it comes to possible successors for the role of PM. The cabinet are all as idiotically incompetent as each other and were only chosen because of their loyalty to Boris and for their support for Brexit.
Sunak? we want this billionaire chancellor, who pays few taxes in the UK - (wife is domiciled in Virgin Islands for some businesses) to be PM?
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Jimgward wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 7:57 pm Sunak? we want this billionaire chancellor, who pays few taxes in the UK - (wife is domiciled in Virgin Islands for some businesses) to be PM?
The only good thing about Rishi Sunak is he can string not just a sentence together when he speaks, but a whole paragraph too. He's actually very understandable and eloquent without having to waft his arms everywhere or lose his rag when someone asks an awkward question.

Realistically, we need shut of the Tories as soon as we possibly can. The only problem is, I can't see any other party in a good light to take over.
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Happy in Cyprus wrote: Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:03 pm Not one good thing in favour of Brexit is there? Or if there is, I'm still waiting for it's supporters on the forum to start listing them.

Instead, silence.
You are correct as always o’ wise one, Absolutely no good has come from Brexit…..well apart from these which have all been in the news, the papers etc. perhaps you just choose not to read it because it doesn’t fit in with your agenda?

A great year for the British manufacturing sector:
▪️ Cadbury announced plans to transfer production of its Dairy Milk bars from Germany and other sites across Europe to the UK.
▪️ The future of Vauxhall's Ellesmere Port plant was secured with a £100m investment. The site will become Stellantis' first factory dedicated to electric vehicle production for the Vauxhall, Opel, Peugeot and Citroën brands.
▪️ British supercar manufacturer Gordon Murray Group announced plans to invest £300m expanding its manufacturing and design operations in the UK.
▪️ Airbus officially opened its new £40m Aerospace Integrated Research and Test Centre (AIRTeC) in Filton.
▪️ Nissan announced plans to build a new electric vehicle at its Sunderland plant and, in partnership with Envision AESC, open a £450m gigafactory as part of a £1bn investment programme. The expansion will create more than 6,000 British jobs.
▪️ Ford announced plans to invest £230m converting its Halewood transmission plant to build power units.
▪️ British Steel unveiled a £100m investment programme.
▪️ Under construction in Goole, Siemens' new £200m train factory is expected to create 700 direct jobs.
▪️ The Hitachi Rail/Alstom joint venture was awarded a £2bn contract to design, build and maintain HS2’s new fleet of trains. The order will create and sustain 2,500 British jobs.
▪️ Rolls-Royce officially opened its new £90m Testbed 80 in Derby - the largest facility of its type in the world.
▪️ Kraft Heinz announced plans to invest £140m at its Kitt Green plant and start making tomato ketchup and other sauces in the UK for the first time since 1999.
▪️ Babcock unveiled its new £31.5m assembly hall at Rosyth and announced plans to create 500 jobs to support its £1.25bn Royal Navy Type 31 frigate programme.
▪️ BAE Systems announced it intended to hire 1.250 apprentices and graduates in 2021 – the highest number it has ever recruited in a single year.
▪️ Rolls-Royce's small modular reactor (SMR) programme - expected to create 40,000 British jobs - secured almost £500m in funding.
▪️ Norton opened its new multi-million factory and global HQ in Solihull.
▪️ Aston Martin broke ground on its new £200m F1 factory in Northamptonshire.
▪️The £130m UK Battery Industrialisation Centre (UKBIC) opened in Coventry.
▪️ Siemens Gamesa announced plans to invest £186m expanding its wind turbine blade plant in Hull. The investment will more than double the size of the site and create hundreds of new jobs.
▪️ Britishvolt secured planning permission for a new £2.6bn gigafactory in Northumberland.
▪️ Lotus invested £100m in its UK sites and created hundreds of new jobs.
▪️ JCB built a record number of machines, created over 1,350 new jobs, secured a host of major orders and invested £100m developing its award-winning hydrogen engine.
Last edited by The Aquila on Wed Dec 29, 2021 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Oh Devil, that post has been copied and pasted all over Facebook for a while now.

And has been blasted to high heaven with laughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

For comparison: an ongoing list of job losses due to Brexit. Regularly updated, it is named after Digby Jones because he said ‘there will not be a single job loss to Brexit’.
What the list reveals is not only his ignorance of British industry but a similar ignorance about the very nature of how the single market and the customs union works. People may well have been deceived into voting for Brexit in 2016 by Digby Jones but increasingly we only see the empty words of a foolish man. It is proof positive that those at the forefront of the leave campaign had no idea of the disaster they intended to visit upon us.
There's a link to every inclusion on the list that you can click on and verify.
The list was last updated at the end of November 2021.

https://yorkshirebylines.co.uk/regular- ... es-index-2
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

…and how many of those people have been reemployed in other areas since Brexit? Or do these lists only include losses and think that once they have lost their jobs they will never work again?
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

I don't think anyone is suggesting for one minute that everyone who has lost their job due to Brexit is still unemployed but no doubt many of them are. How much tax money has been pumped into companies on your list to stop them leaving the UK, Nissan is a case in point where tens of millions of pounds has been pumped in to keep it in the UK which wouldn't have been necessary if we were still members.
I could mention Northern Ireland having the best economic recovery of the four countries because its still in the Single market and Customs Union but most Brexi supporters are not really interested in that sort of thing.