This is a start I hope...

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

Re: This is a start I hope...

Post by Jimgward »

The Aquila wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:21 am The USA also have a shortage of HGV drivers so anyone that thinks this is a result of Covid is blindly trying to blame all of the worlds problems on Covid!
Fixed that for you :D
The Aquila

Post by The Aquila »

Jimgward wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 6:08 pm
The Aquila wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:21 am The USA also have a shortage of HGV drivers so anyone that thinks this is a result of Covid is blindly trying to blame all of the worlds problems on Covid!
Fixed that for you :D
🤣🤣

I saw this posted on LinkedIn today….he’s got a good point!

“ There isn’t actually a shortage of drivers, what we have, is a shortage of people who can drive, that are willing to drive any more. You might wonder why that is. I can’t answer for all drivers, but I can give you the reason I no longer drive. Driving was something I always yearned to do as a young boy, and as soon as I could, I managed to get my driving licence, I even joined the army to get my HGV licence faster, I held my licence at the age of 17. It was all I ever wanted to do.I had that vision of being a knight of the roads, bringing the goods to everyone, providing a service everyone needed.

What I didn’t take into account was the absolute abuse my profession would get over the years. I have seen a massive decline in the respect this trade has, first, it was the erosion of truck parking and transport café’s, then it was the massive increase in restricting where I could stop, timed weight limits in just about every city and town, but not all the time, you can get there to do your delivery, but you can’t stay there, nobody wants an empty truck, nobody wants you there once they have what they did want.

Compare France to the UK. I can park in nearly every town or village, they have marked truck parking bays, and somewhere nearby, will be a small routier, where I can get a meal and a shower, the locals respect me, and have no problems with me or my truck being there for the night.

Go out onto the motorway services, and I can park for no cost, go into the service area, and get a shower for a minimal cost, and have freshly cooked food, I even get to jump the queues, because others know that my time is limited, and respect I am there because it is my job. Add to that, I even get a 20% discount of all I purchase. Compare that to the UK £25-£40 just to park overnight, dirty showers, and expensive, dried (under heat lamps) food that is overpriced, and I have no choice but to park there, because you don’t want me in your towns and cities.

Ask yourself how you would feel, if doing your job actually cost you money at the end of the day, just so you could rest.

Not only have we been rejected from our towns and cities, but we have also suffered massive pay cuts, because of the influx of foreign drivers willing to work for a wage that is high where they come from, companies eagerly recruited from the eastern bloc, who can blame them, why pay good money when you can get cheap labour, and a never ending supply of it as well.

I know Canterbury has the grand total of zero truck parking facilities, but does have a lot of restrictions, making it difficult for trucks to stop anywhere. Do you want me to go back to driving trucks? Give me a good reason to do so.

Perhaps once you work out why you can’t, you will understand why your shelves are not as full as they could be. I tried it for over 30 years, but will never go back, you just couldn't pay me enough.”

Credit: Jim Tetheridge - former Knight of the Road.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

It took him thirty years to work out he's made a mistake? All industry has changed over the past thirty years, some changes for the good, some for the bad.
Our industry was flooded with overseas workers from the likes of Hungary and Poland because the younger generation didn't want to do four month trips with two weeks at home and it's the same with HGV Drivers. The Eastern Europeans just get on with it and don't whinge about it.
Jim B

Post by Jim B »

Sky News reporting a shortage of chemicals for treating Drinking Water.
Wasn't this projected as "Project Fear" not so long ago.
I believe these chemicals come from the Netherlands.
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

Rees Mogg in parliament said that one measure that they have taken to alleviate the driver shortage is all people who passed their driving test after 1997 are now allowed to tow a trailer or caravan, without taking an extra test.
Newsflash, now if you are able to park at a roadside cafe, eat a bacon butty and drink a mug of tea, you have passed the HGV test 🤪
David
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Ah we're saved!
UK Government important foreign HGV drivers in to alleviate the current problems and on top of that, joy oh joy, additional poultry workers - but only until Christmas Eve.
I hope they're paying for their return travel if we're turfing them out over the busiest and most expensive time of the year!
Check out the BBC News today.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Uncle D

Post by Uncle D »

One turkey farmer said that all his experienced staff who have all the necessary paperwork are now working at poultry farms/factories in Poland, he added that why would they come to the UK if there is no future for them, and that goes for any foreign worker.
David
galexinda

Post by galexinda »

A local butcher is already taking orders for Christmas meats and other delicacies - with the option to order now and keep in your freezer rather than wait until just before Christmas for the delivery.