Old Topics Revisited: UK Government scraps pension triple lock for 2022/23

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
chatsworth

Re: UK Government scraps pension triple lock for 2022/23

Post by chatsworth »

Tax payer's money going into Social Care under this current group of liars and thieves known as the UK Government.
You have to be joking ! A lot of the funding earmarked will be spent on the NHS and lots of that will end up in the.pockets of the private sector or should I say the pockets of the liars and thieves known as the UK Government.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Interesting take in the Sunday Times. The article is behind their paywall, but this is what I got off Twitter:

There is no doubt that using national insurance as the means to raise the social care levy hits working-age people hardest, and that recent generations of young people have had an incredibly tough time economically. So why aren’t they more angry?

A person of working age with average earnings before the pandemic will now pay 20% of their income in income tax, National Insurance contributions (NICs) and the new levy.

They may be repaying their student loan too.

A pensioner receiving the same amount in pension income will pay almost half that.

Only about 20% of the UK population is over 65, but, since 2007, two thirds of all the extra wealth created in the UK has gone to them.

Much of this is driven by the incredible rise in house prices, which increased by 227% between the 1970s and 2019 in real terms, while wages stagnated, particularly for recent cohorts of young.

The pre-war generation and baby boomers were born at the right time to benefit from this, with eight in 10 ending up owning their now vastly more valuable homes.

It has been utterly different for many millennials — only four in 10 of whom are homeowners.

This is the result of huge economic forces, not younger people’s spendthrift ways and obsession with avocado on toast, as is still too frequently suggested.

And yet despite this litany of decline, and patronising “advice”, younger generations are not, in fact, up in arms. Why is that? asks
@BobbyDuffyKings

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/boom ... -fqh73tc7b
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

I would suggest that at the moment they're too close to the opposite end of the scale to realise exactly how much it's going to affect them.

Very similar to the way the Waspi women weren't fully given the relevant information which perhaps would have sent the message much more plainly had it been correctly publicised instead of hidden in financial newspapers and libraries.

The government rely on its citizens not following all things financial and by the time they are aware, it's already too late to fix the issue.

I've lost around 45k in pension income and other benefits which would have come with turning 60 whereas instead,. my state pension has to wait another 3yrs along with my bus pass and now there's talk of free prescriptions at 60 being discontinued.

Young people still don't have the opportunity to pay towards a private pension when they're on zero hours contracts or minimum wage. And yet, they're being robbed hand over fist by a government taking the easy option of taking funds from those who can ill afford it without simply decreasing the income for higher tax thresholds. The fastest fix possible. Stealth tax at its very best...

Even worse, the divide and conquer tactics of putting those age groups at loggerheads with each other.
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
Kili01

Post by Kili01 »

Did you all know that the British State Pension is a miserable pittance compared with what the majority of EU and western countries provide for their pensioners? The total amount per annum for most of us is below subsistence level as the cost of living is going up. Especially in Winter as the cost of electricity and gas keeps rising.

We need the triple lock which was removed from pensions last year and was previously promised for this one.
Dee
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

All areas of UK government expenditure are now up for cuts. Promises mean nothing. Johnson borrowed a fortune during Covid, £35bn along 'donated' to test and trace. Billions given to VIP routes, bypassing all laws. I reckon the UK 'wasted' at least £60bn from the £160bn or so we 'borrowed'. We are now a laughing s†ock of a country, with world markets ditching our bonds.

Don't be fooled that this Tory government follows normal Tory rules of financial proprietary. They don't care anymore, except for the party, themselves and their 'friends'. Russian, US and Chinese money given to Tory 'thinktanks' to advise on expenditure. They refuse to reveal their funding.

They are now run by the ERG and 1922 right-wing headcase. Decent tories were kicked out in 2019, leaving weak and stupid individuals all getting their wee run at Ministerial positions, for an enhanced pension.
Dominic
Site Admin

Re: Old Topics Revisited: UK Government scraps pension triple lock for 2022/23

Post by Dominic »

I have edited the title so that people will know that this is an old thread.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Kili01 wrote: Tue Oct 18, 2022 8:19 pm Did you all know that the British State Pension is a miserable pittance compared with what the majority of EU and western countries provide for their pensioners? The total amount per annum for most of us is below subsistence level as the cost of living is going up. Especially in Winter as the cost of electricity and gas keeps rising.

We need the triple lock which was removed from pensions last year and was previously promised for this one.
Dee
The UK population have for many many decades favoured low taxation over social spending.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Thanks for posting that Les. It is certainly Good News..
Trev..
PhotoLady

Post by PhotoLady »

Will it be the full amount do you reckon, or will they drag it out over a period of time?
"Have Camera, Will Travel"
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

I hope and think that it will be the full 10%
Trev..
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Monday, Hunt says it won’t be retained. Today, Cleverley said it wouldn’t be an inflation figure. Truss reacts under pressure and agrees to triple-lock. Hunt looks raging beside her.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

It is possible, but it has been promised now more than once. And if thoughts are on a General Election then scrapping the pension rise or cutting it back would hardly be a vote earner
Trev..
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

It would be political suicide for the Tories to hold a GE now. Frankly, unless Truss gets replaced with somebody who is seriously good at their job, they are screwed whenever a GE is called. But to call one now, when they are over 30 points behind in all the polls, would make even less sense than Brexit.
Firefly

Post by Firefly »

Quite frankly the Tories have got the leader they deserve, they stabbed Boris in the back, and this mess is the result. Liz Truss doesn't even seem to be on the same planet as us.

Speaking as a Tory voter, I think that they have completely lost the plot, and that the next GE will result in a Labour victory.
It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog.
Poppy

Post by Poppy »

Jimgward wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 10:58 pm Monday, Hunt says it won’t be retained. Today, Cleverley said it wouldn’t be an inflation figure. Truss reacts under pressure and agrees to triple-lock. Hunt looks raging beside her.
Hunt did not say it won't be retained. He said wait until October 31st. I cannot comment on Janes Cleverley as I did not hear what he said. I was watching when Liz Truss agreed to the retention of the Triple Lock and I am certain Jeremy Hunt nodded his head in agreement and did not look raging at all.!!

I think what people must realise is that 10% increase on basic pensions is something like £60 per month which equates to about a 3% rise on a below average salary of 24k.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

No, you are not on your own with concerns about the promised Triple Lock rise in pensions.
In recent weeks it was confirmed that pensioners would get around a 10% rise.
But now when politicians are asked to confirm it, they can't. And they go on to say nothing can be ruled out.. So it is just wait and see what is wheeled out in the middle of November.
This was a statement from the PM yesterday 26/10/22
"Pensions could be target of Rishi Sunak's cuts as No10 refuses to commit to keeping the 'triple lock"
Trev..
baxi

Post by baxi »

does anybody remember the rise MPs paid themselves , never mind the expenses & platinum cards ?
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

That would cause an influx of pensioners to the Uk, I would imagine.
trevnhil

Post by trevnhil »

Re.. 'I wonder how long it will be before someone suggests not upgrading pensions for those living outside the U.K. ?'
The UK pension received in Australia has been frozen for many years
Trev..
Sheer Khan

Post by Sheer Khan »

If and it’s a big if they keep the triple lock and the amount is 10.1% is actually going to be 8% in real income because 20% of it will go straight back in income tax.