New York Times scathing over Johnson

Whatever your political persuasion, defend your corner here. All we ask is that you voice YOUR opinion, rather than just post a link to a half-hour youtube video. Politics can get a bit lively, and if you prefer a less combative debate, please post in the Politics for Moderates section instead.
Jimgward

New York Times scathing over Johnson

Post by Jimgward »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/11/opin ... biden.html

Boris Johnson Is a Terrible Leader. It Doesn’t Matter.
June 11, 2021

LONDON — Boris Johnson, Britain’s freewheeling, clownish prime minister, is about to play host.

On June 11, the day after a private meeting with President Biden, Mr. Johnson is scheduled to welcome other Group of 7 leaders to Cornwall, on the southwestern coast of England, to discuss climate change, the global pandemic recovery and the retreat of liberal democracy around the world.

Yet Mr. Johnson may have other things on his mind. Over the past few months, a series of scandals and allegations has put the prime minister under unusual pressure. There have been accusations of corruption, reports of bitter rivalries on his closest team and, to top it off, explosive testimony from his former chief adviser, Dominic Cummings, that laid responsibility for the handling of the pandemic in Britain — where over 125,000 people have died of Covid-19 — squarely at Mr. Johnson’s door. Story by story, scandal by scandal, Mr. Johnson has been exposed as a slapdash, venal, incompetent leader.

But it doesn’t seem to matter. The Conservatives, despite the controversy, are still comfortably ahead in the polls — and even managed to defeat the opposition Labour Party in a recent by-election, claiming the northeastern constituency of Hartlepool for the first time. And Mr. Johnson, for all the outrage and acrimony, can greet his fellow global leaders in a spirit of triumph. With healthy approval ratings and at the helm of a party boasting an 80-seat majority, his power is assured.

Given Mr. Johnson’s inaptitude for office, bracingly illuminated by Mr. Cummings’s testimony, that’s quite remarkable. Speaking to Parliament for over seven hours on May 26, Mr. Cummings, who masterminded Mr. Johnson’s election win in December 2019 — but who was ousted from his role as chief adviser a year later — tore into the government’s catastrophic mishandling of the pandemic, eviscerated the prime minister’s character and declared him “unfit for the job.”

More online
Devil
Forum Curmudgeon

Re: New York Times scathing over Johnson

Post by Devil »

A perfectly insightful, truthful and accurate vision of Britain's most clownish leader. Bravo, NYT! I don't think that the article is scathing, so much as accurate.
Varky

Post by Varky »

The NY Times has only reiterated what we all ' well most of us, have known for ages and has taken the opportunity of the G7 summit to regurgitate the facts. I am not sure that reference to D Cummins as a reliable source serves their purpose, especially when he has not provided any evidence to back up his claims, even though he is prepared to divulge such evidence if you subscribe to his blog (whatever that is). Akin to a witness in a criminal trial wanting to be paid to give evidence.
Dominic
Site Admin

Post by Dominic »

Given that they elected Trump I don't think they are in any position to crow about choice of leaders.
Web Designer / Developer. Currently working on Paphos Life.
Living in Polemi, Cyprus with my wife and daughter.
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

I hadn't realised the New York Times could elect Presidents :ugeek:
Jimgym

Post by Jimgym »

I'm sure Johnson is devastated. Or perhaps he is doubled up with laughter, enjoying the fact that so many are triggered by him. Who knows?!
Jimgward

Post by Jimgward »

Methinks he might worry when a full public inquiry into Covid handling gets underway